McLovin's Journey to Improve

i hate this ******* game
I feel your pain. The wheels have completely come off for me. It happened almost instantaneously.

It looked like you put up a pretty decent round last week. Sounds like Golf happened. It'll get good again.

It looked like you put up a pretty decent round last week. Sounds like Golf happened. It'll get good again.
it's not the full swing, it's still the bleeping short game. yes i started out rough, but i hit some very good shots and got a bunch of bad breaks. but with a decent short game, it wouldn't have mattered. i just have nothing, and i'm not energized at all to put more work in to try to find something. there's been so much work done, and it seems like nothing gained. i'm supposed to play in a charity event in a few days, and all i can think about is how i can get out of it.

it's not the full swing, it's still the bleeping short game. yes i started out rough, but i hit some very good shots and got a bunch of bad breaks. but with a decent short game, it wouldn't have mattered. i just have nothing, and i'm not energized at all to put more work in to try to find something. there's been so much work done, and it seems like nothing gained. i'm supposed to play in a charity event in a few days, and all i can think about is how i can get out of it.
Those short game feels go quick for me. I know it’s been busy season for you at work. So it’s understandable that short game is MIA. But I’ve seen it in action and know what your capable of.

Being without the desire to work on it is the tough part bc reps is the only way to get it back.

Are you watching the Dan Grieve stuff? If not, do!

i hate this ******* game
I feel ya sir! I don't know how I can feel so close, yet so far.... At the same time.... A million times a day. 🤦

Are you watching the Dan Grieve stuff? If not, do!
yep. great stuff, but hasn't translated for me. like @That post said i'm coming off busy season without any real practice. i hit a couple really good short game shots yesterday, but i hit a lot of horrible shots that should be routine.

yep. great stuff, but hasn't translated for me. like @That post said i'm coming off busy season without any real practice. i hit a couple really good short game shots yesterday, but i hit a lot of horrible shots that should be routine.

Well, without real practice, I generally make my expectations MUCH lower. Like "Oh, I got it on the green - I succeeded."

That said, I notice sometimes I'm just not putting enough thought into the shot. I walk up to a shot and think, "Yeah, I want to hit a 56 soft shot" and I step up and hit it - poorly. As I reflect, I realize I did not put any time into assessing the lie. I picked my club ahead of time and did not allow the lie to dictate which shot I could play, and therefore which club I should use. I did not take my time to fully assess where the optimum landing spot would be - or perhaps whether I was in a situation where I needed to play away from the pin and 10 feet was as good as I could do.

Then as I setup to the shot I didn't take my time to make sure my pressure distribution was correct. I didn't make sure I had the appropriate amount of shaft lean, hand height, and shoulder tilt. I didn't take a practice swing practicing the proper release and make sure I wasn't driving the handle. I just had a shot in my mind stepped up and tried to hit it, and only after, I realized multiple things were fighting against me pulling off that shot.

On the other hand, when I do those things and apply the Dan Grieve lessons, I've pulled off some spectacular short-game shots. All this to say, I feel your pain but stick with it. It works, but it requires a lot of thoughtful diligence to start to translate.

Just my input - hope it helps, but no worries if not.

Well, without real practice, I generally make my expectations MUCH lower. Like "Oh, I got it on the green - I succeeded."

well, i'd take that at the moment...

Back