McLovin's Journey to Improve

feedback on iron swing rep trying to get the trail hip deeper at the top of the backswing

actual iron swing feedback trying to get the trail hip deeper at the top of the backswing

driver swing face-on. left foot really spun out on this one!

I have enjoyed the heck out of this thread and following along.

I have enjoyed the heck out of this thread and following along.

i need to get this swing onto the course. it's not translating yet. when it does, i think some really good stuff is in my future.

it’s exactly what we’ve been working on. he sent some videos tonight. i’ll post tomorrow. after our lesson i went to the range and hit some more shots. it was really feeling good. i lasered a target 180 out and was peppering it with a 7i. i lasered another target at 275 and was hitting past it with driver. these are not common things for me!
This is awesome!

I love seeing this positive progress Chris! Great job on documenting it, it's been an awesome follow.

Good stuff on these videos. FWIW about 3 years ago I changed my swing to get a bigger hip turn and to do so I also focused on the depth of the right hip in the backswing. It took me about 18 months to make it my "natural" move but as a result I'm hitting just as far and straight with a lot less stress on my back which was the reason for me making the change.

Good stuff on these videos. FWIW about 3 years ago I changed my swing to get a bigger hip turn and to do so I also focused on the depth of the right hip in the backswing. It took me about 18 months to make it my "natural" move but as a result I'm hitting just as far and straight with a lot less stress on my back which was the reason for me making the change.

nice man! glad to hear a success story!!! it's pretty crazy to me that with nothing more than a deeper hip turn and more time/space to make a free motion through impact, i'm seeing over 5mph more club speed. makes me excited to see if there's more speed i can unlock.

nice man! glad to hear a success story!!! it's pretty crazy to me that with nothing more than a deeper hip turn and more time/space to make a free motion through impact, i'm seeing over 5mph more club speed. makes me excited to see if there's more speed i can unlock.

I didn't get longer over the last 3 years but maintained swing speed which makes me happy at age 55. At my home course I had a handful of eaglel putts on the 540 yard 15th hole this summer and came close to hitting the green dozens of times - none of my 50 something buddies can reach that green anymore. The big advantage for me of the larger hip turn is I can still easily play 36 holes without getting tired or having a sore back the next day. The change also allows for long range sessions again without trashing my back and having to rest the next day.

Last edited:
Great work, Chris. I enjoy the heck out of this thread because I'm working on many of the same issues - appreciate it. I go on Trackman on Sat and will see what speed I've picked up with a deeper trail hip turn, etc. I am trying to get to the range for an hour each day after work and use SuperSpeed sticks 3x/wk

Way to go...

Great work, Chris. I enjoy the heck out of this thread because I'm working on many of the same issues - appreciate it. I go on Trackman on Sat and will see what speed I've picked up with a deeper trail hip turn, etc. I am trying to get to the range for an hour each day after work and use SuperSpeed sticks 3x/wk

Way to go...

would love to see your numbers! i went back last night and read through this thread again. it's funny (in the most nut-punching way) that a lot of the stuff we are working on right now is stuff he told me to work on like 6 months ago. but my focus shifted away from what he keeps saying. i just have to get out of my own way, listen to him, and hopefully this stuff will start landing. i re-upped with him today for another 5 lessons. that outta get us close to the end of the year, and i'll probably re-up again in january and try to finish up by february so we can get a full one-year retrospective of the progress.

would love to see your numbers! i went back last night and read through this thread again. it's funny (in the most nut-punching way) that a lot of the stuff we are working on right now is stuff he told me to work on like 6 months ago. but my focus shifted away from what he keeps saying. i just have to get out of my own way, listen to him, and hopefully this stuff will start landing. i re-upped with him today for another 5 lessons. that outta get us close to the end of the year, and i'll probably re-up again in january and try to finish up by february so we can get a full one-year retrospective of the progress.

Dude, that is exactly what happens to me. I haven't kept a thread but have a notebook I write down key points in after each lesson and then refer back to it before/during practice. Lots of repetition happening there.

Glad you are seeing some progress and hopefully it keeps coming!

Funny - because I am still working on stuff that Jon told me a few years ago. lol. And then there is so much to think about until you don't have to think about it.

i need to get this swing onto the course. it's not translating yet. when it does, i think some really good stuff is in my future.

I'll second JB's comment - this has been really enlightening & I'm glad you shared as much as you did despite the frustrations. Making these changes must be a bit like stopping water from leaking out of a dike: You focus on plugging one hole & another hole opens up. Ever feel like you ran out of fingers?

I know I suck at rotating & getting my hips open through impact, so I'm watching these videos & taking notes!

I'll second JB's comment - this has been really enlightening & I'm glad you shared as much as you did despite the frustrations. Making these changes must be a bit like stopping water from leaking out of a dike: You focus on plugging one hole & another hole opens up. Ever feel like you ran out of fingers?

I know I suck at rotating & getting my hips open through impact, so I'm watching these videos & taking notes!

this is awesome to hear! i'm glad that some of this info was helpful to others, too.

lesson with tyler today. it's pretty close on the heels of our last lesson, but tyler didn't want to lose momentum from what we achieved last time. i have practiced once very briefly since our last lesson, and i played yesterday. practice went well, and the round started out ROUGH but got a lot better.

he wanted to start with a pw, then move to 8i, then 6i, then driver, then sw.

when we started, we were seeing decent hip depth but the same poor wrist positions. i mentioned that wasn't as much of a focus, but he did want to push it today. so the feel was to set the wrists, almost let them "fall" into the set at the top, then go. we saw ok stuff, but he wanted me to add an exaggerated pause before going. that really changed things. it made the wrist position better, and the speed increased quite a bit. we were still seeing really good attack, and the path was staying nicely anywhere from 1-3 from the inside. pw was the best, 8i took a little reset, and 6i was definitely the worst but it got better by the end.

then driver, and something happened that we have NEVER seen in our almost 1 year together. i hit 3 drives, and he was done. like, there's nothing he wanted to change. with the pause at the top, and a pretty low effort swing, we were getting club speed 102, 3* up, and anywhere from 1-3 from the inside. everything was peachy keen.

then to the wedge. he hinted earlier in the lesson that there was something he was seeing that he may want to work on with the wedge depending how it went, but he wasn't sure if he wanted to add anything else to our focus. i had told him about my round yesterday, and the miss that crept up a lot was fat full wedge shots. so when we started on the wedge, we saw a mixed bag. some good, and some fat. he took a quick video, and showed me that as i transitioned into the downswing, my head was shifting back a bit. he wanted my head to move forward through impact, and the lower body and chest to rotate open as the head moved forward.

this was a very awkward move, and having dealt with the shanks (particularly in wedges), i was not excited about this. we tried, and of course were seeing heel-side contact. so we added a focus to keep the belly button back and staying tall through impact, as the right side and chest opened to the target through impact. voila! 5-6* negative attack, low/mid launch beauties. that's what a partial wedge is supposed to look like.

he left me the big bucket and i kept working. i saw a lot of good stuff. i need to get more rounds in to make this more natural, but i'm really digging what we are doing!

lesson with tyler today. it's pretty close on the heels of our last lesson, but tyler didn't want to lose momentum from what we achieved last time. i have practiced once very briefly since our last lesson, and i played yesterday. practice went well, and the round started out ROUGH but got a lot better.

he wanted to start with a pw, then move to 8i, then 6i, then driver, then sw.

when we started, we were seeing decent hip depth but the same poor wrist positions. i mentioned that wasn't as much of a focus, but he did want to push it today. so the feel was to set the wrists, almost let them "fall" into the set at the top, then go. we saw ok stuff, but he wanted me to add an exaggerated pause before going. that really changed things. it made the wrist position better, and the speed increased quite a bit. we were still seeing really good attack, and the path was staying nicely anywhere from 1-3 from the inside. pw was the best, 8i took a little reset, and 6i was definitely the worst but it got better by the end.

then driver, and something happened that we have NEVER seen in our almost 1 year together. i hit 3 drives, and he was done. like, there's nothing he wanted to change. with the pause at the top, and a pretty low effort swing, we were getting club speed 102, 3* up, and anywhere from 1-3 from the inside. everything was peachy keen.

then to the wedge. he hinted earlier in the lesson that there was something he was seeing that he may want to work on with the wedge depending how it went, but he wasn't sure if he wanted to add anything else to our focus. i had told him about my round yesterday, and the miss that crept up a lot was fat full wedge shots. so when we started on the wedge, we saw a mixed bag. some good, and some fat. he took a quick video, and showed me that as i transitioned into the downswing, my head was shifting back a bit. he wanted my head to move forward through impact, and the lower body and chest to rotate open as the head moved forward.

this was a very awkward move, and having dealt with the shanks (particularly in wedges), i was not excited about this. we tried, and of course were seeing heel-side contact. so we added a focus to keep the belly button back and staying tall through impact, as the right side and chest opened to the target through impact. voila! 5-6* negative attack, low/mid launch beauties. that's what a partial wedge is supposed to look like.

he left me the big bucket and i kept working. i saw a lot of good stuff. i need to get more rounds in to make this more natural, but i'm really digging what we are doing!

Great work, Cap! Proud of your grind. You’ve been working your butt off all year. Love those driver numbers—look ideal!

Great thread and great work on your part looks like once you can translate this stuff to the course your going to be enjoying the results.

a couple swing videos from our 11/18/2020 lesson.

8-iron dtl

driver fo

a couple videos on the wedge shallowing move. feel is to keep the belly button back while the head moves toward the target.

behind view is a shadow drill. we want the head to move back to the yellow tee in the ground, and even a bit past it on the target side.

rep’ing the move fo

feedback video from lesson on 11/18/2020

this is kinda cool. one of my better driver swings on trackman from our 3rd lesson together back in february of this year.

50879EE6-6298-48C4-A4CE-F74D36E97B98.png

speed was good for me, but the rest was, well, not good.

and here was one of my better swings from a lesson this month. progress!

FB0E4ECA-D536-4AFA-9F94-4C6AF1CDD7FD.png

Back