Mental advice for dealing with tournament conditions

cg13

Addict
Reaction score
Handicap
OOB 13.3
As a few of us lucky participants in the ultimate amateur weekend of golf begin to arrive in Orlando for Our matches, I'm wondering if you pros at Golftec have any advice for dealing with pressure.

Tips for Preparing mentally for the game, and maintaining that focus through a round.

Any advice for recovering from a bad hole, bad shot, etc.

Thanks!

Banging your head on your tailgate can't be good.

cg13 - definitely banging your head against a tailgate is NOT recommended....maybe a like soft ball like the guys in the movie "I heart Huckabees".

Tournament golf is a lot different then casual golf. First, you don't overcome pressure so don't think you will. Its more about recognizing it and then how you deal with it. I think nerves are good because it means that you care. If you were not nervous on the first tee then why are playing? The best players in the world get nervous even if it looks like they are not but they handle the pressure differently then amateurs and think differently. Amateurs play it off like they are not nervous where better players recognize, accept it and move on like they have learned and practiced.

One of my key of my students is practicing like you play. Put yourself in a tourament mind set where you have to hit the green, or hit the fairway, or make the putt on the course, range, putting green or chipping green. You have to put yourself mentally in that situation and play through it.

Another way is have a solid pre shot routine that you stick throughout the event. This helps you think about the right things at the right time, build trust, and build committment so that way when you take your seup your ready to go and let the athlete in you take over.

If you get a chance to play a practice round don't keep score. Use the round to hit shots, build a game plan, learn where to be off the tee and on the greens, know where you don't want to be, etc...

Last couple of tips.....breathe and have fun! Compete but don't make it win or lose.

Patrick Nuber
PGA Certified Professional
GolfTEC - Golden, CO

GolfTec said it really well.

My biggest thing that I had to overcome was rushing myself. Slowing down and thinking about each shot before you hit it helps boatloads.

GolfTEC brings it! Love the advice Patrick! thanks.

Do not live and die with every swing. Relax, this is not how you make your living, you are a very good golfer and will represent your OEM well. Most importantly, have fun.

Everyone's biggest challenge with this game is mental, I don't care who you are. For me it isn't nerves in competition as much as just trying too hard, getting too hyped up. It helps playing other sports but can kill you playing golf.

Back