Mental Health: Make it a Priority

I am glad to see this thread pop up today. My negative thought processes ebb and flow, but this year has been tougher than usual due to sciatic nerve pain, and a few other unrelated things going on. Been mostly "trapped" in the house for the past weeks recovering from surgery... its tough to not be yourself, or to have in-person contact (isolated.) And as active as I typically am, its a big part of my identity. Not being able to do what I need or want to do is something that I can be graceful about for a short time but gets harder over the long run.

Just over the past couple of weeks, I have redoubled efforts to maintain a positive outlook, and to give myself some grace. It's important.

I wanted to give this thread a bit of a nudge as I am definitely feeling the effects of fall, a swing glitch, and pure chaos at work.

Please make sure you are putting all the positives first in your life. Focus on the good!

I wanted to give this thread a bit of a nudge as I am definitely feeling the effects of fall, a swing glitch, and pure chaos at work.

Please make sure you are putting all the positives first in your life. Focus on the good!
Positive vibes your way! Totally hear ya, things can build up pretty quickly. The winter months, whether it's anticipation or going through them, can really be a b**** with this stuff sometimes. There's a belief that Vitamin D gummies (or whatever form you like) can help in that way, especially in the winter in the north. #WinterIsComing. Know that wasn't the direct point here, but, while on the topic.

I can say I've had some noticeable spikes, if that makes sense, that have come within the least few years in Jan. and Feb., especially.

We should golf soon, and share some smiles bud.

@Canadan how are you doing today buddy?

I am glad to see this thread pop up today. My negative thought processes ebb and flow, but this year has been tougher than usual due to sciatic nerve pain, and a few other unrelated things going on. Been mostly "trapped" in the house for the past weeks recovering from surgery... its tough to not be yourself, or to have in-person contact (isolated.) And as active as I typically am, its a big part of my identity. Not being able to do what I need or want to do is something that I can be graceful about for a short time but gets harder over the long run.

Just over the past couple of weeks, I have redoubled efforts to maintain a positive outlook, and to give myself some grace. It's important.
I have been on the shelf for a few weeks after surgery and it does mess with your head. I’m trying to stay positive but I never realized how much anxiety you can shed by being active.

I have been on the shelf for a few weeks after surgery and it does mess with your head. I’m trying to stay positive but I never realized how much anxiety you can shed by being active.
Fight the good fight and know that we're here if you need us.

Good luck with your recovery, focusing on rehab and the things you can do has helped me, but its still frustrating how hard simple things are. At this point I can almost.... almost... do a full week at work, and have a little gas leftover in the evenings to do rehab. And that is a full day right now. It's all I've got to get through it - every bit of energy and stamina. Last Saturday I was just putting away laundry and catching up on small things, and racked up more strain that any day during the week on a "rest" day. No heavy items over 10 lbs save some strength specific movements.

It's nice to be back at work. At nice to be able to walk almost a 1.5 miles at a time... that is close to 9 holes? I'm gaining on it, slowly but gaining. Most frustrating. Summer. Ever.

I started seeing a therapist earlier this year, and it has been a game changer. Just like we need a pro to look at our golf swing, see if you can meet with someone who won't judge, and does not feel burdened by you. If you have insurance, it probably costs less than a golf lesson!

I started seeing a therapist earlier this year, and it has been a game changer. Just like we need a pro to look at our golf swing, see if you can meet with someone who won't judge, and does not feel burdened by you. If you have insurance, it probably costs less than a golf lesson!
I've only used one when I've been in real trouble, but in all honesty (for me at least) it's just having that person to talk to that made all the difference. I didn't do any of the extra work or routines they recommended, I just needed to have someone that I could have a conversation with who was non-judgemental.

Daily life puts a lot of demands/expectations/conditions on us and we don't even realize it. It might only take a single visit just to get a bit of breathing room, and who can put a price on that?

I've only used one when I've been in real trouble, but in all honesty (for me at least) it's just having that person to talk to that made all the difference. I didn't do any of the extra work or routines they recommended, I just needed to have someone that I could have a conversation with who was non-judgemental.

Daily life puts a lot of demands/expectations/conditions on us and we don't even realize it. It might only take a single visit just to get a bit of breathing room, and who can put a price on that?
Some sessions have been more intense than others, some are really just checking in. But they all have been useful in one way or another.

i Just want to say thank you for the input here.

@Canadan how are you doing today buddy?
a day late, but I'm doing good my dude. Keeping the positive in front of me, trying to take everything that's going on at work in stride with the idea that they need me more than I need them hahaha - And just preparing myself mentally for the colder months.

I'm lucky as hell in so many ways.

Good for you man. I’ve been seeing mine for 4 years now, right now we’re virtual every other week. We’ve worked on a lot together and it hasn’t always been easy but it’s helped me tremendously. The other day was not a good one for me but I reminded myself that sometimes those days happen and it’s not a reflection of who I am thanks to all the work we’ve done. And you’re right - with co-pays it’s basically the same price as walking 9 holes.

I’m super thankful for this thread, and THP.

Everyone goes through some stuff, and knowing that there are people who’ll listen means a ton. You all know who you are.

This is great to hear. It's also nice that many places now offer virtual appointments as well, just to help with convenience if needed.

This is a good thread. I didn't need it when it was made. I could have used it when my life went sideways.
I've tried multiple times to say what I want to say. I can't find the words and I won't overshare. I'll just say, I'm still here. And that's enough I guess

Just another needed bump.

I'm ok, but part of my circle is about to be rocked these next few days and beyond.

It's not a weakness to ask for help or accept help when offered.

Just another needed bump.

I'm ok, but part of my circle is about to be rocked these next few days and beyond.

It's actually the sign of a strong person to ask for help or accept help when offered. Slowly that understanding is changing!

This.
It takes a lot of strength to admit to yourself you don't have the strength to do it alone.
This.
It's actually the sign of a strong person to ask for help or accept help when offered. Slowly that understanding is changing!
And this.

X100.

I actually came here to say that after about 12 years of putting it off, I finally am taking something on a daily basis for mental health. The first couple days (really, the weekend), I experienced some of the side effects that are known to be fairly common, just a bit of a grind and nothing too bad, but yesterday and today have been much better, and it's a process that can take weeks, so it's a good sign it's already starting to regulate a bit. Really glad/relieved I finally took that step. Already feel great about the decision. I've heard so many people say "I just wish I had done it sooner" and I'm guessing I'll be in that group.

This.

This.

And this.

X100.

I actually came here to say that after about 12 years of putting it off, I finally am taking something on a daily basis for mental health. The first couple days (really, the weekend), I experienced some of the side effects that are known to be fairly common, just a bit of a grind and nothing too bad, but yesterday and today have been much better, and it's a process that can take weeks, so it's a good sign it's already starting to regulate a bit. Really glad/relieved I finally took that step. Already feel great about the decision. I've heard so many people say "I just wish I had done it sooner" and I'm guessing I'll be in that group.
Right on, brother. It’s amazing what the right medicine can do.

Great thread.

I haven’t tried meds but am a big fan of therapy. In fact my wife and I have been doing couples therapy for 30 plus years. All the stuff life throws at you over the years (good and bad)work, kids, family, death of parents, etc., we have found having a third party to talk to has been been very positive.

A lot of positive and wonderful mindsets towards therapy and mental health in general in here. I'm mostly on the other side of the desk/room, but have talked to a few peers when work or life became too overwhelming to just keep in my own mind and it's a world changer.

What prompted me to post in here finally was A past friend reached out to me recently desperate for help, and while they could've used the help 5 years ago, I was very happy to hear they are finally wanting to work on themselves. I hope they put the work in, it's a long slow process.

I don't want to sound preachy but just some info from someone in the field:

There's a wide range or services out there and I also encourage things like group therapy. There's something very powerful about being in a room with a few others who are going/have gone through similar things and have similar symptoms or issues.

Finding services is a tough thing to navigate, so just as a very general suggestion while also referencing the list from your insurance, use psychologytoday and goodtherapy to find private practice providers, and you can put in filters, see their pictures, and read some bios. And if 1 therapist isn't a fit, move on the the next one.. it's like finding a partner, there has to be a rapport both ways

Get comfortable with being uncomfortable. The whole process is uncomfortable but the more uncomfortable you get, the more your comfort zone grows. Then that uncomfortable becomes a part of your routine.

Anyways, I'm glad to see a lot of people prioritizing their mental health, and health in general, and if you're going through something, try and remember "this too shall pass" and don't be afraid to reach out to someone, you will be all the stronger for it.

I think lots of us have more in common that not, puts things in perspective a bit. We’re never alone even when we think we are

Back