Mesh Networks and Upgrading

Bumping this because it's time for me to upgrade I think. My Orbi RBR20 system has been great but I've started getting security warnings. We have the ATT 1 Gig Fiber. My Son is big into gaming as well but I think I may make him get his own Router, Lol. Definitely doing some research but anyone who can help with the latest & greatest would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
I've had google nest wifi for 3 years and have 0 complaints. The performance works everywhere and on speed tests it's always "blazing fast." We have a router and 3 extra points. We love it bc the points also work as speakers so you can play music everywhere or in an individual room

Google just came out with Nest Wifi Pro and I've heard great things. Only downfall is it is more expensive and the points no longer work as speakers so at this time I have no reason to upgrade

I went with a TP Link Deco S4 and it's been excellent. I have the main unit in the basement where the cable comes in, one hardwired to it in the loungeroom and the other unit in the garage. I get coverage through the entire house and up to a couple of houses away.

Wellcom recommended this, it's coming today so hoping it works great.
Eero.jpg

back into this, my modem/router has been pissing me off for a bit.
time for a change.

I bought a bundle of three of these on a Black Friday deal for $100. Working out great.

Limited-time deal: Certified Refurbished Amazon eero Pro mesh Wi-Fi system | Pro router 3-pack https://a.co/d/gcasmsm

I just upgraded a 4 year old mesh router for our condo to TP Link Deco 5300 that used the newer Wi-FI 6e protocol. We’re in a condo with cement block walls and concrete floors that make it more challenging to get good coverage. There is also a lot WI-FI signals from all the other condos - I can see at least 20 different WIFI networks on my devices.

I’m super happy with them and have great coverage even 150 feet outside on the beach. The older mesh router I had was struggling with drop offs and didn’t extend more than about 40 feet outside.

Here a link talking about the difference between Wi-Fi 6 and Wi-Fi 6E. https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/tech-...i-Fi 6E is an,it delivers a higher throughput.

Attachments

• F2D3E4D2-C2E3-486B-B4CD-E7E6B3BDB8EC.jpeg
    F2D3E4D2-C2E3-486B-B4CD-E7E6B3BDB8EC.jpeg
    35.7 KB · Views: 0
  • AAF14A66-C15A-496B-96D6-57C566FED581.jpeg
    AAF14A66-C15A-496B-96D6-57C566FED581.jpeg
    80.1 KB · Views: 0
It’s really worked well for us so far!
Was super easy to setup, seems to have covered the whole house with only 3 units, and for sure is better than what we got out of the companies wifi and extender they installed.

I feel like I am reading words in English, but not sure lol..

Okay THPers help me out here. Right now we run Gigabit internet and are upgrading to 1.2 speeds. Which really means Gigabit internet, but good advertising to beat AT&T in my area. With that said, currently we have a cable modem and an Orbi mesh system throughout our house and it has worked great.

The new installation is in a couple of weeks and have opted for our own Modem instead of using theirs that cable companies charge a bit monthly for.

So I priced a Docsis 3.1 Modem out and they are inexpensive and work with our Mesh system, the problem is, we are not maximizing the speeds we are paying for. So I have two choices, really. Buy that modem and deal with the speeds we have, which honestly are completely fine, but not using the capabilities we are paying for or Buying an entire new system.

That leads to the next step of the flow chart. Buying a modem capable and new mesh system that work together or buying an All in One, like the new Orbi system that has the Docsis 3.1 modem built in.

So back to the original question. Would you upgrade the entire system and spend the money now, knowing its an arms race to get faster and faster each and every year or would you just buy an inexpensive, but works great Cable Modem and use the speeds you have now, through your existing Mesh system because its currently totally fine?
I think I would ask myself these two questions when looking at this.

1. Is my Orbi more then 5 years old? if so yes I would probably upgrade the whole system.
2. is orbi the best option.... I have had a lot of success with the eero mesh system. This always gives me the speeds I should be getting and seems to last for a while!

Ordered the eero pro 6e setup after some more research.

Back