Mesh Networks for Home Use

I have had the google mesh system for over three years. it is absolutely great. I have a 2150 ft^2 house on just shy of 1/2 acer lot. the three mesh routers are a bit over kill, but I have perfect coverage over the entire property. If I were a parent....the device specific controls that a mesh system provides is killer. you can kill your kids internet only at diner or bedtime for example.

Didn't think about the kids internet controls but you can do this already on most home routers.

What is different in the security from a traditional setup? What more is needed beyond a password protected network?

Basically, it has to do with how much customization of settings is allowed vs the competitors, as well as how much the router tells someone else (Google, Netgear, Asus) about you. To be sure, the Orbi or Asus or whatever brand name system you can buy today is better in terms of security than what you could get a few years ago. Check the link above to the router security article. It changed my thinking about WiFi. If you don't like to tweak your tech, the Orbi is probably a good choice overall.

I don't use a mesh network but I do run a Nighthawk AC 1750 router dual-band. I have no problems, I put the higher speed requirement stuff on the 5GHz and the lower speed on the 2.4GHz. I have no problems other than having to reboot the router once a month or so, plus the occasional router update.

Eero here and love it. Super easy to set up, no issues, lots of coverage. If you're a geek that loves to tinker with settings though, it might not be the best.
I'm of the 'set it and forget it' mindset.

@Canadan You should probably not check Amazon. 199 for the router and two satellites, which is usually 299. :unsure:

That was me too, I have the chops to build everything from scratch, but I'm lazy and just wanted something that works. Took me about 30m to set up 3 nodes across the house and I haven't really looked at it since. That was last year.

That was me too, I have the chops to build everything from scratch, but I'm lazy and just wanted something that works. Took me about 30m to set up 3 nodes across the house and I haven't really looked at it since. That was last year.
haha, I built my own PC, do all my own clubwork, and yet want NOTHING to do with being our home IT Network guy :ROFLMAO:

haha, I built my own PC, do all my own clubwork, and yet want NOTHING to do with being our home IT Network guy :ROFLMAO:

I feel that 100%!! Exactly why I went Eero. If I take the 30m to set up, it was a total of 1 hour effort if I also count the time driving to Best Buy and getting the gear.

Of those three, networks have the most "eye of newt, wing of bat" technology.

for those with Orbi, I see different prices out there.

Did you research differences when you bought? Am I looking at the wrong thing?

Definitely. Ended up going with the 3 orb setup and have been happy ever since. Picked up ours at Costco, because everything Ksig is better.

That was another reason we went with Orbi. It literally was setup in 5 minutes and was crazy easy. Haven't had a single issue, but if I did, the mobile app works rather well at diagnosing.

I just use an old router set up in the office as an additional access point. Our main router come from the ISP and it comes with the fiber service in the basement. I set up the added router in the office after my wife and brother in law were complaining about wifi coverage in front of the house. I tried explaining to them that the brick we have on the first story has more to do with weak signal than where our router is located.

I installed this in my brother's house and he is very happy with it. $80 from Amazon.
TP-Link AV1000 Powerline WiFi Extender, Powerline Adapter with Dual Band WiFi

His house is just over 2500 sq ft. 2 floors.
Plug the main upstairs into the wall, plug the secondary downstairs into the wall. Very good connections and data throughput. He can also buy more satellite units and plug them into the wall.
It turns your house electrical wiring into a LAN.

Glad this popped up. I have really been looking at the 3pack Orbi's at Sams.

Just so I am clear... this will replace my Verizon router that I have now, correct? Then, do I buy a modem as well?

Glad this popped up. I have really been looking at the 3pack Orbi's at Sams.

Just so I am clear... this will replace my Verizon router that I have now, correct? Then, do I buy a modem as well?
What is the price at Sams for the 3 pack?

I use Eero and have no complaints.

Alright THPers, who's got one, and who would actually sell me on the idea.

Need a better in home solution for wi-fi around the house before the wife goes nuts.

Lay it on me.

What exactly is a mesh network and what can it do for me?

So far as I can tell, the leaders in the clubhouse are;

Eero
Orbi
Nest

Looks like a price war will begin soon haha! I see that the 3-piece Orbi setup dropped to 200 a couple times, but not today. :(

We had our house fully cabled with network points in every room when we re-wired so everything that can be is hard-wired but I also added a Ubiquiti access point at the opposite end of the house to the main router

Setup was easy as it was done from the mobile app, pretty much plug and play and I have zero issues streaming 1080p Netflix on my phone and 4K Netflix on the second cable box in the spare bedroom at the same time using that access point

Roaming is seamless between that point and the main router downstairs and it will automatically pick either the 2.4 or 5Ghz band depending on the signal

Can find the details of you are interested but it is the Unifi AC Lite model

So far as I can tell, the leaders in the clubhouse are;

Eero
Orbi
Nest

Looks like a price war will begin soon haha! I see that the 3-piece Orbi setup dropped to 200 a couple times, but not today. :(

I'll be quiet after this on security and privacy. Nest is a Google brand, and Eero is an Amazon brand.

Back