Mesh Networks for Home Use

Wired my house by hand. We changed out the phone lines for cat 5 cables and installed a patch plate to wire for audio, internet and video. We have one router upstairs And on downstairs to cover the house.

Just about all of our streaming devices have a either a dedicated wired connection or are next to a router with a 5gighz dedicated channel.

Good news - never have lag streaming even with everyone at home now. Bad news - I’m tech support.....permanently.

We’ve had an Orbi Mesh system with two satellites that we love and I just added the outdoor range extender. We now have coverage surprisingly with no speed loss even 60 yards from the satellite. My two daughters will be very pleased as cellular coverage is not alway great where we are, they can now stream their music when they are out sunning themselves on the dock.

View attachment 8943539View attachment 8943540
Nice! That blends in very well with the house.

A buddy of mine struggled with poor performance and dead spots for years. As soon as he went to a mesh system all his problems were gone. Not sure which one he got but they seem to be a great solution.

Dan did you get off the pot yet and get one?

@Canadan I recently installed a Samsung SmartThings mesh. 3 pucks. Really works well plus the added bonus of being able to control all my smart home lights and switches and sensors without having to add a separate smart home controller. The Sammy mesh also uses the Plume app which allows all sorts of controls and info on you your network and what it and various devices are doing.

Wired my house by hand. We changed out the phone lines for cat 5 cables and installed a patch plate to wire for audio, internet and video. We have one router upstairs And on downstairs to cover the house.

Just about all of our streaming devices have a either a dedicated wired connection or are next to a router with a 5gighz dedicated channel.

Good news - never have lag streaming even with everyone at home now. Bad news - I’m tech support.....permanently.
I know what you mean about tech support... oh man. Sometimes it's a pain...

Ordered an Orbi setup from Costco today. The satellite unit I’ll take outside with me so I can work under the pavilion this summer instead of being indoors all day. Looks like I’ll be at home for awhile so may as well make sure I have good coverage and the ability to go outside.

I bought the Orbi..

Didn't realize it was going to take a year and a half to arrive haha! Should show up next week.

You didn’t buy from Costco did you? I want mine to show up by next Friday, not a year and a half later. The last grocery order I got from them took 3 weeks to ship.

You didn’t buy from Costco did you? I want mine to show up by next Friday, not a year and a half later. The last grocery order I got from them took 3 weeks to ship.
Amazon. Thought it was going to take five days, turned into a LOT more haha

Amazon. Thought it was going to take five days, turned into a LOT more haha

Yeah, shipping has been hit or miss these days. Between delays or just getting lost at the post office, I’ve had a small run of bad luck lately.

Orbi installed! Super easy to accomplish... Hardest part was convincing Cal we were not naming the WiFi Pikachu hahaha

Excellent coverage all around the house now. I'm super impressed so far.

I’m late to the game on this thread but I am 100% Unifi. I love it. Last week I added another hotspot to the front porch.

Orbi installed! Super easy to accomplish... Hardest part was convincing Cal we were not naming the WiFi Pikachu hahaha

Excellent coverage all around the house now. I'm super impressed so far.

Awesome! Mine was supposed to be here today, but delivery is delayed. No idea when, hopefully soon though.

Nothing wrong with a Pikachi WiFi name, lol.

Awesome! Mine was supposed to be here today, but delivery is delayed. No idea when, hopefully soon though.

Nothing wrong with a Pikachi WiFi name, lol.
I’m chilling outside on the patio right now, hanging around the fire, drinking and THPing... to flawless internet lmao

THIS IS AMAZING.

I'm a fan of the Google/Nest ecosystem. I have been researching this topic and will be making a purchase soon. Thanks all for the information.

I’m chilling outside on the patio right now, hanging around the fire, drinking and THPing... to flawless internet lmao

THIS IS AMAZING.
About time.

We just got the eero pro with an extra unit and it’s good so far. So much better than before and now our back room isn’t a giant dead spot

Haha yeah, took way too long for sure... although almost everything I do here is hardwired - so I really wasn’t aware of the problem.
Excuses. ;)

I know what you mean about tech support... oh man. Sometimes it's a pain...

I know. IT Guy, Pool Guy. . . . Those stories are just stories, I tell you.

My plan as well. With working at home in the cards for the next few months, I want to setup next to my putting green on nice days so I can do some putting breaks in between calls, meetings and work.

Well, dang UPS lost my package, and now they are out of stock at COSTCO. Looks like the same model is around 150 more everywhere else now. I'll have to keep an eye out for deals. Darn it.

Just went thru this, IMO Orbi is overpriced and setup is overly complicated not to mention Orbi technically isn't even a true mesh system. I first had an Orbi, but it would literally cut my wifi signal at random times during the day (even ruled out my modem/signal etc.). Especially with working from home this was unacceptable. Not to mention if you want to add another satellite, they are crazy expensive ($100+). I went with TP Link Deco and have never looked back. Price is a great value and setup is so quick/easy, I even added another wall plug in satellite for an extra $50 and was under $150 for a setup that covers my whole 2100+ sq ft 2 story colonial without a hitch. Fixed my dead spots upstairs/in my kitchen/basement.

Back