Mesh Networks for Home Use

Canadan

You Are Great
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Alright THPers, who's got one, and who would actually sell me on the idea.

Need a better in home solution for wi-fi around the house before the wife goes nuts.

Lay it on me.

Have an Orbi. Have zero issues with it. My main router is in my basement because that's where my office is, and I have a sat point in my bedroom and one in my living room.

Dont have the direct link but we got Netgear orbi at the house. Works well but its only one level and honestly only got it due to the amount of devices we have that are connected at all times. Works well and the kids never complain.......which means their wifi is still on lol

what did you opt for instead?
some big ass netgear nighthawk with a second access point on the other side of the house. works great 95% of the time, but not as user friendly if the wife has an issue.

I started WFH and got one the very next day. Now my internet speed is as fast in the corner bedroom and the basement as it is in the living room with the router. I can stream everywhere!!! I went TP-Link Deco.

I started WFH and got one the very next day. Now my internet speed is as fast in the corner bedroom and the basement as it is in the living room with the router. I can stream everywhere!!! I went TP-Link Deco.
Why the Deco over others?

Have an Orbi. Have zero issues with it. My main router is in my basement because that's where my office is, and I have a sat point in my bedroom and one in my living room.
Does the main router have a better connection than the other elements, or was it just reference?

Also, why Orbi over others?

Orbi here and love it.

I have an eero system in the house and couldn't think of going back. It is basically flawless and is a real game changer (and is basically idiot proof to set up). When I got it, eero was basically the only game in town so I'm not sure what else is out there and what they offer.

for those with Orbi, I see different prices out there.

Did you research differences when you bought? Am I looking at the wrong thing?

Does the main router have a better connection than the other elements, or was it just reference?

Also, why Orbi over others?

just for reference.
At the time, Orbi and Google seemed to be the top two options for me. I liked Orbi because on the sat's there are still ports, which was something I was looking for.

I went with a Synology mesh setup (RT2600ac base + MR2200ac mesh) because it has some of the best security options. Combined it with Powerline Ethernet and it easily covers our home, the deck, my shed, and the garden. Extremely pleased. You should definitely look for a mesh system with a dedicated backhaul channel - keeps speeds up. If I were looking today, I would seriously look at a WiFi 6 capable system to get a little future proofing.

If you have a second router sitting around, in a lot of cases you can set it up as a wireless access point as a stopgap, especially if both routers are of the same brand. This could work pretty well, especially if you can connect the WAP/satellite by ethernet (a big reason why I have Powerline Ethernet.)

Why the Deco over others?
Performance numbers were good, it has some nice security features and an app, and it was the best price point.
1589388694663.gif

following this thread. I wasn't smart enough to wire every room for ethernet back when I built in 2000, so we have dead spots in the wifi. I have upped the signal, but thinking mesh as well.

I went with a Synology mesh setup (RT2600ac base + MR2200ac mesh) because it has some of the best security options. Combined it with Powerline Ethernet and it easily covers our home, the deck, my shed, and the garden. Extremely pleased. You should definitely look for a mesh system with a dedicated backhaul channel - keeps speeds up. If I were looking today, I would seriously look at a WiFi 6 capable system to get a little future proofing.

If you have a second router sitting around, in a lot of cases you can set it up as a wireless access point as a stopgap, especially if both routers are of the same brand. This could work pretty well, especially if you can connect the WAP/satellite by ethernet (a big reason why I have Powerline Ethernet.)
What is different in the security from a traditional setup? What more is needed beyond a password protected network?

Eero here and love it. Super easy to set up, no issues, lots of coverage. If you're a geek that loves to tinker with settings though, it might not be the best.

I just bought a mesh system because I couldn’t get WiFi by the pool or my wifire Traeger. I bought the same as @RealPretendPsychic because a buddy recommended it. Works good but have never tried anything else

I just did the netgear Orbi at the house. I did the main unit with two extra satellites and we have no issues. Our speeds are way better and we have coverage over the whole house. It was very easy to set up and you can add on extra satellites if you ever want to.

I have had the google mesh system for over three years. it is absolutely great. I have a 2150 ft^2 house on just shy of 1/2 acer lot. the three mesh routers are a bit over kill, but I have perfect coverage over the entire property. If I were a parent....the device specific controls that a mesh system provides is killer. you can kill your kids internet only at diner or bedtime for example.

Same here, upgraded to Orbi in the house and the performance and coverage have been better. Bought mine from Costco - easy button!

Positives: Better coverage throughout your area depending on how you set it up.

Cons: You have to spend money for additional devices.

Actually determine if and where in your area you need better coverage. For my house I have a coverage gap in my son's room and on the backyard patio. Since I've been home I've noticed it a lot, but I can mitigate it using cellular data. Also, it is mostly only an issue with small handheld devices. Laptops and my wife's Surface Pro don't have major issues and still stream no problem at 1080p in those areas but I wouldn't want to download large files there. So really think through what are you trying to solve before investing any money into it you may have a cheaper solution already on hand.

@mtbloco is who turned me on to the mesh system! Well worth the investment.

Another reason I went with Synology was that I did not want a Netgear. I know many use them with no issues and they are great performers. Maybe it's that we lose power a lot around here, but their stuff just doesn't last in our home. The last five Netgear devices I bought just stopped working after about a year: a router, two cable modems, a powerline ethernet kit, and a five port switch, for goodness sake.

I freely admit paranoia about internet security. Here's are two interesting articles:

Back