Wow! That's awesome man.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Love it! Wish I had the cash & the space for some welding equipment.

looks nice. Now, If I could just talk my wife into leaving the cars outside year-round, I'd have the space for a shop AND a golf sim room!

looks nice. Now, If I could just talk my wife into leaving the cars outside year-round, I'd have the space for a shop AND a golf sim room!

I was in a townhome for 17 years. When we moved, a large garage AND a shop were my requirements.

ill be taking a 2 day class at the end of november and will be forging my own fixed blade knife from 1084 steel. the instructor was on forged in fire and won. I am beyond excited to put a hammer to some hot metal!

I spent 2 days at a blacksmith shop learning how to forge a knife from a bar of 1080 steel. Ended up with two knives (one more polished than the other) It was a very fun experience and definitely piqued my interest in knifemaking
index.php
slicer.jpg

Attachments

• pairing knife.jpg
    pairing knife.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 72
Do you produce tables for sale ?
I'll bet if you offered a granite slab table top on metal legs/base it would sell for $$$$$$
Everything I make is for sale. I don’t use granite because I don’t have the tooling to cut and shape it. Tile is easier and affords the customer to change them out at any point.

Everything I make is for sale. I don’t use granite because I don’t have the tooling to cut and shape it. Tile is easier and affords the customer to change them out at any point.

I've had granite slab yards finish the edges of remnant pieces for me, depending on the size $200 to about $700 finished. Add to that metal legs and base and my guess is customers would pay $1,000 to$3,000 for finished tables. Everybody loves granite slab tables but few people offer them for sale.

I've had granite slab yards finish the edges of remnant pieces for me, depending on the size $200 to about $700 finished. Add to that metal legs and base and my guess is customers would pay $1,000 to$3,000 for finished tables. Everybody loves granite slab tables but few people offer them for sale.
Hmmm, thanks for the info. I’ll have to look into this further!

You are welcome.
Also, for granite top tables I've seen two types of bases.
1) 4 legs similar to your tile top photo however the legs are of wider diameter (approximately 3"), presumably to support the heavy weight of granite. 1" diameter square shaped rails are attached by welding so that the 4 legs are all connected to each other. The granite top rests on top of this " 4 legged base"and the stone is so heavy it will not move from the base.

2) I've also seen plastic/resin hour glass shaped bases centered under a granite top table. This style is appealing because of looks but also that it allows for more chairs to fit under the table than a 4 leg base does. Using metal I suppose you're confined to right angle shapes, but I think a square, rectangular, or triangular shaped metal base would look good.

For finishing the steel I guess your options are polished or brushed. Polished may be a little too severe-bright. If you could come up with a couple of different brushed finish styles-techniques offerings that would probably be good, such as swirls , straight line brushed, or maybe hammered.

Later today I will post a few photos of a granite top table with metal leg base similar to what I described above, and that table looks as good today as it did 30 years ago.
Unlike wood, stainless steel and granite do not require maintenance and are not adversely affected by elements such as sunlight or water, so your selling presentation can be "great looking table for a lifetime".

This particular rectangular dining table is 40"X 60", which is sensible for 4 chairs but can accommodate 6 chairs when needed.
I think all sorts of granite top - steel base tables would have customer interest, demand. For example a 48" X 18" buffet or occasional table, 24" diameter square or circular top night stands, 12" diameter round or square top pedestal tables etc...

Attachments

• IMG_6936.JPG
    IMG_6936.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6937.JPG
    IMG_6937.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6937.JPG
    IMG_6937.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6943.JPG
    IMG_6943.JPG
    149.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6944.JPG
    IMG_6944.JPG
    146 KB · Views: 6
I did table legs and had a friend do the top.

It's actually one piece, not two sets of legs.

IMG_20191115_144317177.jpg

I did table legs and had a friend do the top.

It's actually one piece, not two sets of legs.

View attachment 8918023

What type of wood is that beautiful table top ?
The legs look great, a good design shape and size for that top.

What type of wood is that beautiful table top ?
The legs look great, a good design shape and size for that top.

That is a mirrored slab of black walnut.

I felled the tree and gave most of it away to the guy who did the slab. I think the trade was worth it, as the slab would've gone for a few thousand unfinished.

I did make some legs for him to use as well in the trade.

That is a mirrored slab of black walnut.

I felled the tree and gave most of it away to the guy who did the slab. I think the trade was worth it, as the slab would've gone for a few thousand unfinished.

I did make some legs for him to use as well in the trade.

Old school cool :)

Old school cool :)

It's funny to me that you really like the legs. I went with an easy fabrication set up, as I hadn't done table legs before.

Two squares out of 2" square tubing is about as easy as it gets. There's one tube running the length of the table holding the legs together.

The top is loosely fastened to the legs and support at six points, and the bottom of the slab isn't finished so it won't crack if it expands and contracts.

My wife LOVES the legs, so I pretend it was really hard and I did math to pick the exact size that would look best.....

:p

Back