Review MGI Zip Navigator Electric Golf Caddy

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Push carts have become as much a part of golf as riding carts in many regions. As technology has grown, adding automation to them seemed like a natural progression. The MGI Zip Navigator is a feature rich cart designed to let you walk free around the course, while your cart does the heavy lifting.

A2-1024x692.jpg

The MGI Zip Navigator features a fully directional hand held remote control that gives you the option of speed control in different terrains. Need some more power going up a hill, no problem, but MGI has combined that with automatic downhill ease, which handled the ups and downs of the course with ease.

The electric cart features a gyroscope for automatic tracking on straight courses for ease of use. In our testing...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
$1500 is a lot of money! For that, I would really want the follow feature.

This diehard walker likes what I read, but for $1500 and my health still fully intact, I will stick with pushing my well experienced Clicgear.

Feels like it really should follow you for that price point like others have said. It's a little thing, but it's a pretty nice feature to have.

I think it's a great idea but for that money I want something that is going to track and follow me around the course.

Best thing about pushcart mafia is foldability/portability. Two golfs bags and two of these would be a truckload!

Is a nifty thing right enough, but for that amount of notes I'd be wanting it to find my ball, read the green and pour me my beverage of choice!

I like this set up. I don’t care that it won’t follow me around the course. I don’t mind that you have to walk behind it and navigate it. You still are walking without pushing the cart and that will save you energy. I do wonder how it would do in colder weather, say 40 degrees all day and if that would eat up battery life faster.
Still really contemplating one of these but it would also mean I would have to walk all rounds to justify the purchase

This is great. I'm the type of guy that would buy this just to have it...total gear head:ROFLMAO:
Unfortunately I'm too fat and broken down to walk 18. Maybe next year

This is great. I'm the type of guy that would buy this just to have it...total gear head:ROFLMAO:
Go ahead and make that purchase and I’ll test it out for you. 😉

Could a cart be the thing that changes all of that?

Appreciate the review, JB. I'm interested in something like it but the follow feature is something I'm pretty sure I want.

One question I have - how stable is this on steep slopes? I have played courses (and there are a couple points on my home course) where there are slopes that are steep enough to cause a trolley to tip over backwards when going up a slope if they aren't held by the user

I don't ever see myself moving to a remote trolley like this, but especially at that price point - I could purchase 2 standard electric trolleys for the price of that particular one

One question I have - how stable is this on steep slopes? I have played courses (and there are a couple points on my home course) where there are slopes that are steep enough to cause a trolley to tip over backwards when going up a slope if they aren't held by the user

I don't ever see myself moving to a remote trolley like this, but especially at that price point - I could purchase 2 standard electric trolleys for the price of that particular one

Going to be hard for me to say with very steep slopes, but at the course next to us, there are a couple of holes that are pretty steep and it handled it well. As mentioned in the article it has speed control on downhill which worked well. Kind of like cruise control on a car going on the downside of a bridge.

@Tenputt could probably answer this based on his experience going up and down steep slopes with this cart

Going to be hard for me to say with very steep slopes, but at the course next to us, there are a couple of holes that are pretty steep and it handled it well. As mentioned in the article it has speed control on downhill which worked well. Kind of like cruise control on a car going on the downside of a bridge.
Downhill isn't a problem, uphill is where I see most people have issues, but I guess it also depends on how heavy the bag is on the trolley and how the weight is distributed - for trolleys that don't hold the bag upright enough, it can be quite easy to get the centre of gravity behind the rear wheels making them a bit more prone to tipping, and then add in the drinks holder that is often attached near the handle with a full bottle and it can be a disaster waiting to happen

I have written about this cart previously and maybe even started a thread on it. I honestly can’t remember.

I have had mine for almost two years. I walk as much as possible. I look at it as being a benefit to spending 4 hours on a golf course. However, my back was struggling mightily two years ago and I wanted to find a solution. I looked into electric carts. After a bunch of research,, this one rose to the top, for a variety of reasons. It is mid-priced when it comes to this type of product. Having used it for more than a hundred rounds, I would buy it again in a heartbeat. It has made a huge difference on my back. It has not given me a moment’s trouble. It functions well. It folds up nicely in a car.

I honestly think the follow feature is overrated, but that is based upon using this cart and trying to conceive how much of a difference it would make, particularly when you have to spend $700 or so more to get it. The remote works fantastic and I actually would rather have the cart in front of me than worry about whether it is continuing to follow me from behind. I would keep looking back, I am afraid. There are forum members who have follow carts and they could speak to the value of this feature.

The cart has no issue whatsoever going downhill. Going up a very steep slope, which I have all the time on my mountain courses, the wheelie wheel that sticks out behind helps a great deal. However, I still will keep my hand on the back of the handle on the steepest of slopes (particularly if not on a cart path), just as a safeguard.

I am happy to answer any questions, since I really have a lot of experience with this product.

Downhill isn't a problem, uphill is where I see most people have issues, but I guess it also depends on how heavy the bag is on the trolley and how the weight is distributed - for trolleys that don't hold the bag upright enough, it can be quite easy to get the centre of gravity behind the rear wheels making them a bit more prone to tipping, and then add in the drinks holder that is often attached near the handle with a full bottle and it can be a disaster waiting to happen

I know for the cart I have they recommend using a cart/staff bag for that very reason (get more weight towards the bottom of the bag).

Awesome! A lefty! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Looks like a good cart. Out of my budget though.

Definitely handled that with no issue with the remote. It has plenty of power and my bag was PACKED.

Usually carry my bag (light as possible with 11 or so clubs most rounds) but maybe someday will look into and it looks to be fun.. Over a period of time and many rounds would be cost effective - if keeps from the cost ofriding. Anything to keep on walking rather than riding most of the time is certainly good for health and likely for one's game.

One question how heavy is it to lift into the car? It looks pretty light. That might be only potential drawback for some older players.

Usually carry my bag (light as possible with 11 or so clubs most rounds) but maybe someday will look into and it looks to be fun.. Over a period of time and many rounds would be cost effective - if keeps from the cost ofriding. Anything to keep on walking rather than riding most of the time is certainly good for health and likely for one's game.

One question how heavy is it to lift into the car? It looks pretty light. That might be only potential drawback for some older players.
It folds up very easily and is not bad at all to lift into a car. I think most people could do it, if they are physically able to handle walking 18 holes.

Its pretty heavy at around 30 pounds without battery and 35 with, but definitely not bad and not crazier heavier than other push carts

I also have this cart. I bought it from Costco in June, and I am so happy with it. I just hit the 225 mile mark on the odometer (45-50 rounds) and use it a Bethpage mostly which is moderately hilly. I bought this through Costco and got some of the add on with it (I don't use the seat/bench, but it comes with a cool seat/bench attachment). The battery life is great (over two rounds). The only mishap I had was during the Long Island Am in 100 degree heat when I was trying to drive it around the back of a green and really didn't know the course that well. Needless to say I drove it into the bunker on the 17th hole....:ROFLMAO:... kind of summed up the day I was having. Great piece of equipment, and well worth the investment. At $20 per cart ride, I already saved $900-1000 by taking this instead of a cart in one season.

Back