Michigan hackers, check in here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heading to MI in a few weeks to play a few rounds of golf. Playing Lake Erie Metropark for a memorial outing in honor of a high school buddy who passed away in his sleep a few years back. Then heading to Battle Creek to play BCCC one morning then Stoatin Brae in the afternoon. Quick three day trip only. Will be nice to get out of the Phoenix AZ heat.

I’m very interested!! Still in Lansing! Dedicating this years golf season to my late father. Lost him way too early 19 years ago. He was president of our club and the board named the club championship trophy in his honor. Fast forward to 2013, the last year as a private club, and I won the final Championship and got to keep the trophy!

A most fitting end- a trophy in hand, and a wealth of memories in reserve.

I'm playing the Mountain Ridge Course at Crystal Mountain tomorrow morning. I've played the Betsie River course a couple of times, but this will be the first time on the Mountain Ridge.

I'm playing the Mountain Ridge Course at Crystal Mountain tomorrow morning. I've played the Betsie River course a couple of times, but this will be the first time on the Mountain Ridge.
what did you think of it? Im a big fan.

How do all of you handle each "off-season" here in Michigan?? Sim golf? Lessons? Out of town golf trip(s)? Etc...

Sim. Chesterfield Twp.

Still nursing sciatica and caring for my wife after her surgery. This is the longest I’ve gone without swinging a club.
My simulator is just sitting in the case and there still isn’t much snow on the ground. Normally I would have put in a dozen sim rounds by now. Really helps winter go by a little quicker.

Last edited:
I'm usually able to visit my parents in Florida couple of times a winter. I usually get at least six rounds in in the winter.

What sort of golf options are there around the central part of lower Michigan (as in not the UP)? Obviously, I mean during the season; not right now.

What sort of golf options are there around the central part of lower Michigan (as in not the UP)? Obviously, I mean during the season; not right now.
By central to the lower peninsula what do you mean? Close to Midland or somewhere else?

I paid up for one league at Pine Valley in Ray Twp (Macomb County) this week. More leagues to get paid up.

By central to the lower peninsula what do you mean? Close to Midland or somewhere else?

Yes, central in the lower peninsula. Sorry, I didn't know the proper local terminology.

Yes, central in the lower peninsula. Sorry, I didn't know the proper local terminology.
Just to be clear, Midland is a city in Michigan that is west of Bay City and northwest of Saginaw. Michigan is a big state and I just don't want us giving you suggestions that are like 100 miles away from where you will be. So, I'm trying to get a better sense of where you will be.

Pohlcat is a nice course over by Mt Pleasant. The Dream and The Nightmare up by West Branch are good as well

I don't know an exact area, but somewhere around the Midland to Edmore area would be great for now.

The Midland area isn't exactly golf Mecca. Having said that Apple Mountain, Spring Valley, and Maple Leaf golf courses are the good courses in that area.

The Midland area isn't exactly golf Mecca. Having said that Apple Mountain, Spring Valley, and Maple Leaf golf courses are the good courses in that area.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Sorry @brian7770, I haven't played any courses in Midland, but I've played a few on US 127 just a few miles west. Maple Creek (Shepard), Hidden Oaks (Alma) were decent, affordable courses. North Star (a little further south on 127) was just ok but opened up early in the season and was very affordable. I'm not sure what type of golf course you're used to in Ohio, but most of the courses up here are in good shape by May and with many in the $35-$40 price range (includes cart).

It's not real close and I've never played it, but Forest Dunes (Roscommon) is supposed to be a very nice, higher-end course that people speak highly of.

As you get further north and towards the western side of the northern lower peninsula, there are a lot of really nice, open to the public courses I have played. If a 2-3 hours drive is possible, I can give you a few in my neck of the woods - some of which are included in national top 100 lists.

Enjoy your trip!

Sorry @brian7770, I haven't played any courses in Midland, but I've played a few on US 127 just a few miles west. Maple Creek (Shepard), Hidden Oaks (Alma) were decent, affordable courses. North Star (a little further south on 127) was just ok but opened up early in the season and was very affordable. I'm not sure what type of golf course you're used to in Ohio, but most of the courses up here are in good shape by May and with many in the $35-$40 price range (includes cart).

It's not real close and I've never played it, but Forest Dunes (Roscommon) is supposed to be a very nice, higher-end course that people speak highly of.

As you get further north and towards the western side of the northern lower peninsula, there are a lot of really nice, open to the public courses I have played. If a 2-3 hours drive is possible, I can give you a few in my neck of the woods - some of which are included in national top 100 lists.

Enjoy your trip!

I don't know where we'll end up with real certainty. Definitely appreciate all the help. Even if we end up near Midland, occasional road trips are not out of the question.

Back