Michigan hackers, check in here

Good to know. We are planning on 72 holes, so maybe 36 on FD and then both directions of The Loop.
We did the morning round on Dunes, and then chose the replay option over on the Loop. We were scheduled to play the Loop the second day, so by playing 36 the first day we got both directions.
18 on the Dunes followed by 18 on the Loop back-to-back days would be a decent two-day, since once you get to FD you're close to exactly nothing.

I personally have no issue paying the $130/160 rate for FD, but The Loop was only worth half that rate IMO. Especially when $160US works out to $220CDN

We did the morning round on Dunes, and then chose the replay option over on the Loop. We were scheduled to play the Loop the second day, so by playing 36 the first day we got both directions.
18 on the Dunes followed by 18 on the Loop back-to-back days would be a decent two-day, since once you get to FD you're close to exactly nothing.

I personally have no issue paying the $130/160 rate for FD, but The Loop was only worth half that rate IMO. Especially when $160US works out to $220CDN

That is a great approach. We will probably do the same. We are playing the first or second week in October, so it’s the $85 rate and $65 replay rate.

Do you guys think a second week in October trip is risky with the weather?

That is a great approach. We will probably do the same. We are playing the first or second week in October, so it’s the $85 rate and $65 replay rate.

Do you guys think a second week in October trip is risky with the weather?
The 2nd week in October is definitely risky. You never know what you will get. You could have beautiful weather or you could have temperatures down around 20 at night.

I played Black Lake near onoway yesterday. What a tough course! It is a beautiful unique golf course with lots of character, However I was very disappointed in the condition of Some of the fairways and many of the greens. They putted much much slower then many of the courses I have played recently. I still recommend checking out this golf course if you get the opportunity.

I've been playing pretty good this year, my handicap is down a couple of points. I think this is partly due to playing the same course over and over, I am a member at Grandview in Kalkaska in that's what I play most of my golf. I'm going to be visiting several courses in northern Michigan. I'm curious to see how my Score will hold up on different golf courses. I played the loop at forest dunes on Thursday and shot an 80. Tomorrow I'm going to play the natural, Tuesday I'm going to play Birchwood farms and the Highlands Moor course. Wednesday I'm going to play up at black Lake. I'm anxious to check these courses out and see how well I shoot!

I personally like the Moor, it's a good test of accuracy off the tee and smart 2nd shots. It doesn't play super long (from the purple's), but there are some holes that can definitely get you in trouble. If you can drive the ball well and your driver is a confident club in your bag, I'd suggest trying to cut the corner (left of the tree over the water) on 18. You can get home in 2 easily if you do.

I'm interested in Black Lake, I'd love to hear about that course. Sounds like you had a great week of golf!

Last edited:
Has anyone played either The Spruce or The Wolverine Course at Grand Traverse Resort? I know The Bear is supposed to be a beautiful and difficult course, but I haven't heard much about the other two courses.

I haven't played as many courses in 2020 as I have in years past. I'm considering taking a week off in the fall to get out and play a couple courses in the area I've never played. The rates are better and the courses less crowded. I love October golf up here.

Has anyone played either The Spruce or The Wolverine Course at Grand Traverse Resort? I know The Bear is supposed to be a beautiful and difficult course, but I haven't heard much about the other two courses.

I haven't played as many courses in 2020 as I have in years past. I'm considering taking a week off in the fall to get out and play a couple courses in the area I've never played. The rates are better and the courses less crowded. I love October golf up here.
I've played both of those courses a lot. they are both nice but I much prefer the wolverine. it has a little better character and probably is in a little better shape.

I've played both of those courses a lot. they are both nice but I much prefer the wolverine. it has a little better character and probably is in a little better shape.
It looks to have a variety of holes that are wide open, tree-lined, and some with water that comes into play. Looks like a fun course.

It's been a long time since I played them but if memory serves, I think the Spruce is actually a tougher/tighter course then the Wolverine. I say this because the Wolverine as mentioned does seem more open but it does have its water hazards. I will say they are different courses for sure!

I will say that I have no idea if the Spruce has changed at all since I last played it. I got my one and only hole in one on the 10th on the Spruce back in 2005 and I think I played it only a couple of times after that til about 2007.

I have played the Bear and Spruce. The Bear is an absolute treat, and the Spruce is definitely underrated. The first five holes are super tough then it opens up a bit. Played it about a month ago and it was in pristine shape and I really liked the layout. Highly recommend Spruce if looking for a less expensive option. But, if going for a few days, play all three and the resort!

It's been a long time since I played them but if memory serves, I think the Spruce is actually a tougher/tighter course then the Wolverine. I say this because the Wolverine as mentioned does seem more open but it does have its water hazards. I will say they are different courses for sure!

I will say that I have no idea if the Spruce has changed at all since I last played it. I got my one and only hole in one on the 10th on the Spruce back in 2005 and I think I played it only a couple of times after that til about 2007.

No doubt the Spruce is pretty tight. Still able to score though with it being a bit shorter.

It's been a long time since I played them but if memory serves, I think the Spruce is actually a tougher/tighter course then the Wolverine.

Well Mike, you've seen my game. Even though a tight tree-lined course really kicks my butt, I prefer that type of course over a wide-open one like The Bear or Arcadia Bluffs. Guess I'm just a glutton for punishment. A course with both trees and water to carry is my favorite type. Guess I'll have to play both courses. Lol.

What are some favorite courses in Macomb County?

What does TeeOff have for Sunday afternoon between here and TC?

Nothing really in the afternoon. Weekends are hard to find deals and there is only a couple of deals but they are mid to late morning!

What rate does Antioch (Briar Downs) charge?

The Orchards
Cherry Creek
Greystone

that’s about it haha
I have played all of those courses in the past but only Greystone this year. Not a big fan of Cherry Creek, there are too many layup holes off the tee box, and it is usually very slow play there, at least from my experience. When I want to play casual golf I usually go to either Plumbrook or Sanctuary Lake, probably because they're close to home. Greystone is another choice of our group.

I have played all of those courses in the past but only Greystone this year. Not a big fan of Cherry Creek, there are too many layup holes off the tee box, and it is usually very slow play there, at least from my experience. When I want to play casual golf I usually go to either Plumbrook or Sanctuary Lake, probably because they're close to home. Greystone is another choice of our group.

Love the Orchards! Greystone is Awesome. Cherry Creek is good but the play is really slow, you have to be one of the first out for the day. Sanctuary Lake is pretty good and it’s close. I haven’t played Plum Brook in years but it’s pretty good. But I have only played twice this year!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m taking a vacation to the sister lakes next week and am looking for some golf to play in the area. I’m about 35 mins from Benton harbor and Kalamazoo.
Which courses should I be looking to play? Is playing harbor shores worth the price?

Plumbrook is in good shape usually but its overpriced and far too short. Sanctuary Lake is not in Macomb County FWIW but is not bad for the price but that course is always packed solid. I believe Cherry Creek is overpriced as well if I'm being honest.

Glacier Club is OK too I guess. Not many good choices in Macomb, others would be Oak Ridge Marsh course, maybe Sycamore Hills, Cracklewood, Rattle Run but I rarely ever play them anymore. Another underrated one I think is Pine Valley in Ray Twp.

Plumbrook is in good shape usually but its overpriced and far too short. Sanctuary Lake is not in Macomb County FWIW but is not bad for the price but that course is always packed solid. I believe Cherry Creek is overpriced as well if I'm being honest.

Glacier Club is OK too I guess. Not many good choices in Macomb, others would be Oak Ridge Marsh course, maybe Sycamore Hills, Cracklewood, Rattle Run but I rarely ever play them anymore. Another underrated one I think is Pine Valley in Ray Twp.
Our group usually buys group golfer coupons for Plumbrook at $19 ea to supply us through the year. At $19 it's a pretty good price. For a municipal golf course, Plumbrook probably has some of the nicest greens around. I like how they manage their greens in that they aerate one half of the greens at a time and put the hole on the unaerated side. They let the one side heal, and then aerate the other half. Yes, it's a rather easy course, but we like it that way because some of the golfers in our forsome are high handicap. It gives him a chance to score decent.

Another underrated one I think is Pine Valley in Ray Twp.
Interesting, just yesterday our group when out Pine Valley and played the gold and blue courses. Not a bad course and I think we only paid $27. I shot an 89 there yesterday, with a 10 on hole number 18. My driving lately has also been horrendous as I don't have any control over where the ball's going these days it seems.

Played The Crooked Tree in Petoskey today with @dthogey ! This is the first time for me playing it and it is a very nice course! I didn't shoot great but not too bad for not playing in awhile! Scored a 44 and 45 so I guess I am happy I kept it under 90. :)

No birdies, no triples and just 3 doubles! The rest were bogies or pars.

We played the Orange tees at 6134 yds. Rating 70.2 and Slope 133

Back