Michigan hackers, check in here

Played Garland (Monarch & Reflections) this past weekend for the first time. I was really impressed. Wanted to play Swampfire but they told us that they didn't have room for our group (17 ppl). Courses were in great condition, scenery was awesome and didn't see many people out. Couldn't have had better weather either.
I played Garland that weekend as well. My wife and I played Monarch, Swampfire and Reflections. Monarch is my favorite. Garland doesn't get a lot of love in the course rankings, but it is a really enjoyable golf resort. I've been going there 35 years, they've had their ups and downs, but they seem to be back on the right track. Courses have been in great shape the last two years.

Seems like both the guys with whom I've been playing have lost interest for the season. I guess I've been enjoying the camaraderie as much as the game, as I haven't been able to get interested in just going out and playing as a single. Really too bad, because we've had some terrific weather, here in the southeast corner of the state, the last week.

Seems like both the guys with whom I've been playing have lost interest for the season. I guess I've been enjoying the camaraderie as much as the game, as I haven't been able to get interested in just going out and playing as a single. Really too bad, because we've had some terrific weather, here in the southeast corner of the state, the last week.
That does tend to happen around here. I've been out twice in the last 5 days but yesterday I was thinking eh I could go either way. Today I am I glad I got out and played.

That does tend to happen around here. I've been out twice in the last 5 days but yesterday I was thinking eh I could go either way. Today I am I glad I got out and played.
Yeah looks like today is the last decent (above 52 degrees) for a while, and I'm working. Maybe I'll go hit a bucket as the sun goes down. It was a good season, though - despite the pandemic, we had great weather, and it seemed like most the courses stayed in decent shape in Michigan - except the bunkers which pretty much everybody ignored, due to Covid risks. I actually didn't mind most of the Covid golf procedures - leaving the flag in all the time is fine for recreational golf, speeds things up. Paying online is something they all should every year. And not having raked bunkers is fine, if all the leagues and tournaments allow you to smooth and place the ball. As long as the courses are raking them regularly so they don't become a complete catbox, it's cool and hopefully would keep greens fees down.

Just bumping the thread, where's the Michigan enthusiasm?
Weather seems to be breaking, spring will be here before you realize, and golf will be booming this year. What have you been doing to get by this winter? I have gotten new metals for my 2021 season, and have been practicing my putting on my 9' Big Moss putting green. I put a new SS Traxion GT Pistol grip on my Odyssey Stroke Lab DW putter. I can wait to get out there!!! How about you?

The enthusiasm is there, but it's tempered by lifelong Michigan residents not willing to play Charlie Brown to Mother Nature's Lucy ;) After all: It is only the end of February.

Michigan_Spring_Start.png

Heck, one year we got the biggest snowfall of the season on Easter weekend, which can be anywhere from the end of March to near the end of April. (This would've been back in the early 1980's. I don't recall when Easter was in whichever year that was.)

Making a trip with the boys in August to Michigan. Very excited. Playing Forest Dunes, The Loop x2 and Arcadia Bluffs! Cannot wait to hit 4 Top 50 publics in one weekend 🔥

Weather seems to be breaking, spring will be here before you realize, and golf will be booming this year. What have you been doing to get by this winter? I have gotten new metals for my 2021 season, and have been practicing my putting on my 9' Big Moss putting green. I put a new SS Traxion GT Pistol grip on my Odyssey Stroke Lab DW putter. I can wait to get out there!!! How about you?
I have to keep the enthusiasm in check or March becomes a loooong month. If the weather continues to remain mild through April, I might have to drive south down US 27 and keep driving until I find an open course.

I just ordered some new clubs this morning and have been practicing the full swing and the short game as much as I can. I love the confidence that's around this time of the year. I try not to listen to the voice in my head that says "every year it's the same thing... you hit balls into the net, work on your latest swing, gain a bunch of confidence only to step onto the course and realize nothing has changed". Not this year damn it! This year it'll be different! Hahaha.

Gents, I'll be in Michigan for almost all of April. Hopefully there's some good weather and we can all meet up!
Give me a holler if you can't find anyone to play. The courses in this neck of the woods tend to open later than those downstate, but you never know.

Gents, I'll be in Michigan for almost all of April. Hopefully there's some good weather and we can all meet up!
What area? Weather will be hit and miss but should hopefully get some decent weather at least a few days

Im very enthusiastic. I left Michigan during Covid and took my talents to SoCal . But with that said im heading back to Michigan in a few weeks and I am always up to play.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

My enthusiasm starts once the snow is gone. Did hit the SIM fir first time since Christmas last week though.

This is a bit discouraging. Although, what I thought was the best aspect of the MGS was how it peaked everybody's golf interests for the season, but there never any great deals to be had.

This is a bit discouraging. Although, what I thought was the best aspect of the MGS was how it peaked everybody's golf interests for the season, but there never any great deals to be had.

Such an incorrect statement. I bought a set of Cobra Fly-Z’s for $250, Nike Vapor Speed driver when new for $150 and recently a Scotty Cameron Go-Lo 6 for $175. Those are absurdly good deals for unused clubs.

Haggled a Bridgestone staff bag to $80 that I still use, regularly scored $20-$30 Adidas and Under Armour polos and pants on a yearly basis. Hell I’d fly home to attend the show in normal years just to score those deals and catch a Wings game

Such an incorrect statement. I bought a set of Cobra Fly-Z’s for $250, Nike Vapor Speed driver when new for $150 and recently a Scotty Cameron Go-Lo 6 for $175. Those are absurdly good deals for unused clubs.

Haggled a Bridgestone staff bag to $80 that I still use, regularly scored $20-$30 Adidas and Under Armour polos and pants on a yearly basis. Hell I’d fly home to attend the show in normal years just to score those deals and catch a Wings game
I agree with you. We usually were able to book out golf trips, get free rounds, score deals on gear and if shopping can always score a steal on clubs. Being able to haggle is one of the best parts. Can't do that at the store.

My enthusiasm is there as well. This warm weather spike has me all kinds of geared up to hit anything outdoors. Bought a new set of irons, used off Facebook, that are currently stuck in shipping with an unknown delivery date (thanks USPS). So, I'm hoping that I didn't waste my money and the clubs will eventually show up. Pretty sure they got hung up in the weather that grounded a lot of the U.S.

Anyone have experience with USPS and their "In Transit, Arriving Late" status?

Eh I thought the show was a giant waste of time and money anyways.

Anyone have experience with USPS and their "In Transit, Arriving Late" status?
Yup. Have had it happen on a quarter to a third of all USPS package shipments for the last few months. It's disquieting, but the stuff has all eventually gotten moving again and been delivered. One shipment I think spent 3-5 days in USPS "In Transit, Arriving Late" limbo.

Yup. Have had it happen on a quarter to a third of all USPS package shipments for the last few months. It's disquieting, but the stuff has all eventually gotten moving again and been delivered. One shipment I think spent 3-5 days in USPS "In Transit, Arriving Late" limbo.
That's good to hear. Mine has currently been stuck in limbo since Feb 24th. I opened a claim with USPS to see if they can at least tell me what's happening. It was shipped Priority 2-day.... clearly that isn't happening.

Probably he couldn't sell them to anyone else.;)

Back