Mid-50's beginner - aches and pains to look forward to?

camden_kid

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
I imagine playing golf is unlike any other sport or exercise I have done in the past.

As a healthy mid-50's person about to embark on the golf journey are there any aches or pains coming my way initially? If so, what can be done to avoid or lessen them? What workouts at home or the gym or warmups before playing would you recommend?

Everything that you don't use regularly will hurt afterwards. at 65, I have to warm up. That's just the way it is. Start out with short, easy swings without hitting anything, and move on to short easy wedge shots, then move up from there. About 30 minutes worth. After the game, stretching and advil.

Are you going to be carrying your clubs or pushing a trolley?

If carrying, make sure you get the bag comfortable on your shoulders otherwise you are likely to find yourself aching across your shoulders and down your back, which isn't ideal when you want to swing a club

Other than that, do some stretching before you start, then make easy swings without a ball - if you have a range available to use before the round, loosen up there and hit a few balls with wedges or short irons, then finish up by hitting a couple balls with the club you are likely to use on the first tee

If you are prone to aches, maybe take a couple Ibuprofen before you leave the house just to help keep the muscles a bit more relaxed until you get used to playing a full round, especially if you are carrying or playing a hilly course (or more than 18 holes in a day)

Just listen to your body during and after the rounds and adjust accordingly for next time

If carrying, make sure you get the bag comfortable on your shoulders otherwise you are likely to find yourself aching across your shoulders and down your back, which isn't ideal when you want to swing a club

Other than that, do some stretching before you start, then make easy swings without a ball - if you have a range available to use before the round, loosen up there and hit a few balls with wedges or short irons, then finish up by hitting a couple balls with the club you are likely to use on the first tee

If you are prone to aches, maybe take a couple Ibuprofen before you leave the house just to help keep the muscles a bit more relaxed until you get used to playing a full round, especially if you are carrying or playing a hilly course (or more than 18 holes in a day)

Just listen to your body during and after the rounds and adjust accordingly for next time

Thanks. That's great advice. I can see that lugging the bag needs careful attention.

I'm almost 60s. In off-season workouts, I focus on core muscles, back, hips and hamstrings.

Before a round I do some stretching before I hit balls. I do some golf specific stretches (can find samples online) and make sure that my back and hamstrings are targeted.

After golf: Ice, ibuprofen and Theragun mini.

Do as much walking as you can on and off the course. If you haven’t been doing much walking, you’ll run out of gas even if you ride a cart. When I decided to start golfing again in July of last summer, I had already been walking at least an hour a day for the previous 3 months. That kept me from getting tired out by the end of the round. Even though I ride a cart, I make my golf partner drive so I can still walk as much as I can while playing.

With the core rotation of the golf swing you can probably expect the lower back to bark a little. Stretching helps.

With the core rotation of the golf swing you can probably expect the lower back to bark a little. Stretching helps.

Thanks. I do get lower back stiffness now and again. That partly prompted this post.

Thanks. I do get lower back stiffness now and again. That partly prompted this post.

If you want to get serious about golf fitness, I'd recommend this book. I'm 55 and it's allowed me to maintain my average distances with all my clubs even though that 6th gear that I used to have is gone forever, lol.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 10.24.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 10.24.51 AM.png
    93.2 KB · Views: 14
I would suggest a good beginners yoga class that you can do at home. It will get you limber and loosened up and help alleviate some of those pains you will encounter.
Stretching before every round is the big thing to make sure you do.

This might or might not still be valid for people in their early 40s as well. Allegedly.

Personally, I'm a strong believer in overall fitness, so I've been doing strength training and cardio, followed by a stretching regimen, 3-5 times per week, for the past fifteen, going on sixteen years--ever since the age of 54. I just started to learn to golf this year, at the age of 69. Other than it occasionally triggering my (currently) mild case of sciatica, the worst I've experienced has been a bit of temporary muscle soreness and/or back stiffness.

So far I've played only using carts. This season I plan to try carrying my carry/stand bag--at least when playing nine. I may acquire a push/pull cart and may try that playing eighteen.

So far I've played only using carts. This season I plan to try carrying my carry/stand bag--at least when playing nine. I may acquire a push/pull cart and may try that playing eighteen.
It is a big transition for sure. I'm sure being in great shape helps, but I think pushing a cart you will get more enjoyment out of it and less back issues overall. I'm only 54 but I refuse to walk 5 miles with that weight on my back and shoulders. I did enough of that crap in the Marines walking 26 miles with a pack on my back.
This I want to enjoy, and pushing makes it much more enjoyable.

Buy comfortable golf shoes!

At the age of 63 I cannot stress the importance of stretching enough. You'll thank me later on.

I would strongly recommend starting out with golf lessons to get a healthy swing. I'm younger but am currently on timeout with some serious golfers elbow after my first year of playing weekly or more. I never took lessons and am sure that I have something mechanically wrong in my swing that led to the injury. Once I'm over the injury I will be taking lessons to identify what's wrong with my swing that may be causing injury.

I have several other healthy friends in their 30s who just picked up the sport without lessons and always get back or neck pain after playing due in large part to some really bad technique.

Beware of the driving range. Aside from the leg workout from walking, playing 18 is actually easier on the body than hitting one ball after another to empty a jumbo bucket.

I also concur on the stretching for any age group. I’ve almost always stretched before golf, even when I was a teenager. The few times I forgot, I regretted it.

I always ensure a proper warm up and stretching routine before playing. I do this with all sports. Sometimes I get funny looks, but I just laugh it off and poke some fun back when they grunt and moan on their first swing of the day.

I start off with time on the putting green. Then move into slow swings just to get the body moving, no balls. Then into a little stronger back and forth swing to get blood moving. Then it's a full body stretch, paying close attention to hips, back, shoulders, neck and arms. After static stretching, I'll move into some dynamic stretches to include legs, ankles, arms and back. And finally, I'll look to make some full swings either with or without balls. At this point, pay attention to where my clubs are striking the ground so I have an idea how my body is actually feeling that day.

When I learned a proper hip turn, my hips ached for a long time as I'd never done it properly before, and not muscles you use often.
My hips hurt until I was used to it, and I was in my late 30's.

I started golf casually at 52 and then got more and more serious. General fitness is important and will definitely help transition to golf but even if you are in good shape, take golf slowly. A small bucket on the driving range once or twice a week plus walking nine hole executive course with push cart once a week at first. You should find over time that the small bucket is replaced by larger bucket and the nine hole executive by walking full regulation 18.

Lots of factors go into walking vs. riding so I won't touch that. I prefer to walk when possible. I carry for 9 holes and push for 18 mostly because it is easier to bring more food and bev pushing.

I have had two minor golf injuries both related to walking on uneven ground. Walking, at least on the courses I play is more challenging than walking on side walk or path.

I don't know if it's been mention yet but, save your elbows and wrists by going graphite throughout your bag. The reduction of shock with graphite shafts (as opposed to steel) is significant.

Get into a regime of stretching every day even when you're not planning on playing that day. Resistance bands are easy to use and you can store them anywhere. Start with gentle stretches to warm up you muscles. 9 Golf Stretches to Improve Your Game and Reduce Injuries (healthline.com)
If you have a seat heater in your car, use it on the way to the course to warm up your lower back.
If you feel you have strained something post round remember - ice is your friend.

I made the mistake of way overdoing it this weekend and I've hurt my ribs. Nothing but putting for me for at least a couple weeks :(

I would recommend at least considering graphite iron shafts. They are much less punishing on your body with mishits and there will be a lot of mishits starting out.

Do as much walking as you can on and off the course. If you haven’t been doing much walking, you’ll run out of gas even if you ride a cart. When I decided to start golfing again in July of last summer, I had already been walking at least an hour a day for the previous 3 months. That kept me from getting tired out by the end of the round. Even though I ride a cart, I make my golf partner drive so I can still walk as much as I can while playing.
I really like this post. The legs are what powers the golf swing, and serves as an anchor point for the upper body swing movements. I walk every day, and most evenings after dinner. I also have a bike I sometimes ride.

Also, be sure to "ride up" on your rear toe during the golf swing follow through. This little movement tend to lessen the the strain on the lower back.

Don't try to over swing looking for a few extra yards. Your body knows how fast of a swing it can handle. Staying balanced through out the swing, with a good swing rythem, tempo, and timing help your body (and score card) more than anything else.

I'm 68, and I always have a few aches, and pains after an 18 hole round of golf. I call these my "good aches, and pains" as they are not permanent. They don't last long. Sometime they don't even show up.

Heck, even without playing/practicing my golf swing, when I first get out of bed every morning, some of my body parts don't want to get out of bed with me.

Back