Mid-cappers (10-19) - What is your GIR% and How many birdies per round?

*Range Rat

Chop since 1977
Reaction score
Handicap
poor skill
For those that have handicaps between 10 & 19 i'm curious to know how many greens you hit & how many birdies you make. My GIR% is terrible and probably the biggest reason i struggle to score. This is also a big reason why i make so few birdies (less chances). I know if i can increase my GIR that i should start making more birdies and my handicap should also drop.
My numbers (embarrassing as they are):
Handicap - 13
GIR - 30.4%
Birdies - 0.7 per round

Sound off mid-cappers, what are your numbers?

on limited data, but seems about right.

Handicap - 12
GIR - 32%
Birdies - 1.3 per round

Looks like I average 35% GIR and right at 1 birdie per round. Not great but about what I expected.

13 handicap. 0.74 birdies per round. 27% GIR.

I thought the same thing too but what I found was I didn’t have good birdie chances. Lag putts replace chip shots for saving par.

I don’t remember my actual stats but my GIRs aren’t good at all. 30-40%???
I average less than one birdie per round.

Last edited:
Handicap: 10
GIR - 34%
Birdies per Round- 0.6

'20 HC ranged from 9.3 to 12.4 / 45% GIR / 0.98 birds per round.
'21 posting season just starting. 12 rounds so far with liberal rules. Going in at 10.9 HC / 51% GIR / 1.25 birds per round (winter rules).

23%...something like that.

Index 15
GIR - 33%
Birdies .8 /rd
Additional question should be #saves per round. My handicap is moving down because I'm converting more near misses, not more GIRs

Last 20 rounds played
13 HC
GIR: 35.7
Birdies: 0.54
3 putts - 2.94

Great question and the answers validate what I'm about to say. For golfers in this handicap range the biggest opportunity to reduce your handicap comes by:
  1. Improving your up and down percentage.
  2. Reducing 3-putts.
  3. Improving proximity from the hole on approach shots.

Handicap = 19
GIR = 22%
birdies = don’t have stats but maybe 0.5

GIR is generally 25-30%. Good for one birdie per round

Handicap 16.7
GIR 18%
Birdies per Round .2

Great question and the answers validate what I'm about to say. For golfers in this handicap range the biggest opportunity to reduce your handicap comes by:
  2. Reducing 3-putts.
These are the very things I intend to improve on this year. They kind of feed into each other too. Keep getting each shot closer and closer to the hole. That's the goal.

Thanks for all the responses, i can see my numbers aren't that far off from what y'all are getting. For me the obvious big thing that will help me improve as a golfer is GIR%. My up & down % as well as putting are pretty solid (proven by my 1.7 putts per hole); the majority of my 1 putts are for par not birdie. That's the problem. Hit more greens = More birdie chances = More birdies made = Scores drop :cool:

Arccos has me at:
Handicap - 11.7
GIR - 37%
Birdies - can't find the % but estimate is probably less than 1 per round

Looking at cards from the last few months:

13Hc
average 8/18 GIR (44.44444%)
1.5 birdies per round (8.33333%)
3 Putts: 1 in every 4 rounds (1.388888888889%)

13Hc
Great 3 putt numbers, my worst part of my game for sure.
That & not keeping penalties off the card

I'd say at 16, 20% GIR, a lot of chips from just off and less than a birdie a round. Three putts are usually not the issues. 1/5

13Hc
Your handicap has got to be coming down with those numbers. 44% GIR and 1.5 birdies per round is very good, i can't believe you're not a single digit capper.

2. Reducing 3-putts.

This past Friday I played with a 15 handicap who shot 90 at the par 71 course.
His wasted shots were mostly from within 50 yards of the green , where he consistently played a 60* wedge, even from 10 yards short of the green to a middle or back hole location. Ever since the 60* wedge became available, which is more than 20 years now, it seems lots of high handicap players choose that loft to play all their chipping/pitching shots, so their up and down percentage is terrible.

Your handicap has got to be coming down with those numbers. 44% GIR and 1.5 birdies per round is very good, i can't believe you're not a single digit capper.
I don't keep a real handicap, so it's possible it's leaning somewhere on the high single side, but I've never considered it based on the fact that I am regularly beaten by single digit players.:ROFLMAO:

Too many blow up rounds for me to consider myself in that realm.

Another thing to consider: I don't play competitively. I often will move a ball away from a tree root, rocks etc, which inherently improves my lie. I'm not saying I kick the ball into the fairway. When I do it, it's just a few inches to save my bones and my clubs, but if I played every lie like that, I bet the GIRs would go down.

Back