Mid-cappers (10-19) - What is your GIR% and How many birdies per round?

Great question and the answers validate what I'm about to say. For golfers in this handicap range the biggest opportunity to reduce your handicap comes by:
  1. Improving your up and down percentage.
  2. Reducing 3-putts.
  3. Improving proximity from the hole on approach shots.
Looking back at last year's rounds and seeing trends in my game that align with what you say.
Up and down 65.7 %
3 putts less than 2 per 5 rounds
Average proximity to hole on approach 14.6 ft.

I'm lower strictly due to my up and down game. I'll hit 5 GIR & shoot 75.....out those 5 GIR - I'll have 3 birdies. Get up & down 9x a round in general.

I'd focus in short par 4 & par 5 for those scoring opportunities.....if a hole is under 340yds, I expect a birdie under normal conditions. Same for 3rd shot par 5......120yds in I better birdie or my score will reflect an 82 instead of 75

Maximize your opportunities-

Handicap -11
GIR - 32%
Birdies - 0.2

(hence I am putter shopping, can’t seem to make anything outside 5’)

2020 Numbers

43 Rounds
18.0 hdcp
23.64 GIR
0.53 Birdies per round.

Worst part about the birdies is that I started out last season with 11 birdies in my first 10 rounds....then only 12 more in the next 33 rounds. I hadn't realized it but it appeared I was a bit streaky last year when it came to birdies.

11 in 10 rounds
4 in 5 rounds
5 in 5 rounds

These numbers are better than PGA tour averages.
My strokes gained putting according to Shot Scope is on the +side of tour pros, it's my crappy tee game and 21-27% gir that kills me. 😥

I used Arccos half of last year.

says 15
34% GIR
And .8 birds

I thought I hit more greens

My numbers are guesstimates...

10.5 HC (not a guess)
25-35% GIR
1.1 birdies a round

Even when I was single digit, my GIR wasn’t much better. But my up and down percentage was better and my proximity to hole was way better. A bullet proof short game trumps GIR in my opinion, but more GIR sure is the dream.

My handicap index ranges from 16-20 and is currently in the 18's.

Long-term averages, going back several years:

4.1 GIR/round
7.1 Fairways/round
0.5 Birdies/round
Average score is 87.2

In the past year, my game has devolved somewhat:

3.2 GIR/round
7.4 Fairways/round
0.5 Birdies/round
Average score is 88.0

In terms of Strokes Gained I am around 4 shots worse than scratch Off the Tee, 5 shots worse than scratch Approach the Green and 6 shots worse than scratch in combined Short Game and Putting.

Last year:

Handicap: Right around 15
GIR: 41%
Birdies per round: .36

Good GIR numbers, but my proximity to the hole isn't giving me many easy birdie putts. Avg putts is just under 2 per hole.

GIR - 27%
Birdies - 0.5
Putts - 33.4

Ever since the 60* wedge became available, which is more than 20 years now, it seems lots of high handicap players choose that loft to play all their chipping/pitching shots, so their up and down percentage is terrible.
But playing $45/dozen balls and hitting a low one hop & stop check-up shot like the pro's is cool... :rolleyes:

GIR 53%
34.5 putts
0.8 birdies per round.

Arccos says handicap is 8.6, but official index held in my club is 10.2

I have no idea what my stats are to be honest although my handicap is slightly lower at 7.4, but I tend to go through phases of bunches of rounds where I have at least 1 birdie, followed by a few without

GIR 53%
34.5 putts
0.8 birdies per round.

Arccos says handicap is 8.6, but official index held in my club is 10.2
No shots will be given when we play then :LOL:

I have no idea what my stats are to be honest although my handicap is slightly lower at 7.4, but I tend to go through phases of bunches of rounds where I have at least 1 birdie, followed by a few without

No shots will be given when we play then :LOL:
Now hold on, hold on...let's not make any hasty decisions :ROFLMAO:

For those that have handicaps between 10 & 19 i'm curious to know how many greens you hit & how many birdies you make. My GIR% is terrible and probably the biggest reason i struggle to score. This is also a big reason why i make so few birdies (less chances). I know if i can increase my GIR that i should start making more birdies and my handicap should also drop.
My numbers (embarrassing as they are):
Handicap - 13
GIR - 30.4%
Birdies - 0.7 per round

Sound off mid-cappers, what are your numbers?

42% GIR but I’ll be a fair bit less than 0.7 birdies per round. Between 0.4 and 0.6. Off 11.8.

They also average 290yds+ off Tee with +6 hdcp at 7400yds -

I'm at 240yds 2.3hdcp at 6700yds - I doubt tour pros average 5 GIR

Based on 15 rounds of Arccos data
Handicap - 14
GIR - 24.9%
Birdies - Not shown as a stat (that I can see) but I'd say 1 per round on average.

Back