Mid-handicapper - T100S + T200 Combo set?

JPbogies

Reaction score
Handicap
~15
Hi all,

First, excited to be here! Second, I know this is probably ambitious, to say the least. I'm one of the golfers who re-discovered golf during the pandemic - March '20. So I've been addicted since and have probably played 100 - 120 rounds over these two seasons. I went from ~25 handicap down to a 14 - 16. Currently gaming some used Titleist T300s I got off of eBay.

I have a fitting scheduled at Club Champion in about a month. I love the look of the T100S's but realize that is probably aspirational for me, even though I'm a decent ball striker. Does anyone have experience using the T100S's at a mid-handicap level? I am just hoping I fit into a combo set at the least as they look beautiful (in my opinion) and I think are something I could grow in to.

Thoughts? Crazy? Regardless, thank you all!

In my opinion, if you’re a decent ball striker, you will be ok with the t100s and would be fantastic irons to grow into as your game evolves.

of course, when you go into club champion, go in with an open mind to try many different heads!

I’m not one who believes in growing into an iron, to me it just creates the potential for disdain and unnecessary struggles that could take away from the enjoyment that is the point of playing this game.

For the question, go hit them. The100S are tiny, they’re true players cavity backs, and as such the demand factor will always be there. The 200
Imo offer the best of all worlds for someone in your range. BUT, you need to go hit them.

of course, when you go into club champion, go in with an open mind to try many different heads!
This would be my best advice, as well. Take advantage of the options that CC has available to try. Enjoy the fitting!

In my opinion, if you’re a decent ball striker, you will be ok with the t100s and would be fantastic irons to grow into as your game evolves.

An open mind is definitely what I'll bring to the fitting, and I'll cross my fingers the 100s align with the numbers, but I'll go with the numbers either way. Thank you!

I’m not one who believes in growing into an iron, to me it just creates the potential for disdain and unnecessary struggles that could take away from the enjoyment that is the point of playing this game.

For the question, go hit them. The100S are tiny, they’re true players cavity backs, and as such the demand factor will always be there. The 200
Imo offer the best of all worlds for someone in your range. BUT, you need to go hit them.
I haven't heard this before but it makes tons of sense - don't make the game harder than it already is - is definitely sound advice. Thank you!

This would be my best advice, as well. Take advantage of the options that CC has available to try. Enjoy the fitting!
Haha oh I'm definitely going to try and hit as many options as possible! Thank you!

I haven't heard this before but it makes tons of sense - don't make the game harder than it already is - is definitely sound advice. Thank you!
Nowadays, there’s no reason to have to have one without the other (looks and forgiveness/playability) so many amazing options out there! (y)

I’m a single digit HC and did the combo set 100S/200 when these came out. While the 100S are demanding, they worked while I was on top of my game. But quite honestly, the straight 200’s all the way through would’ve been a better fit for me. I’ve since had a couple knee surgery’s and feel like I’m starting over in golf. Went from this combo set to Ping G425’s! 😳

I have to agree with Jman here. I want equipment that works for me when I buy it not that I need to grow into. I do feel the T100 is a bit small. I have a fitting next week and am going to put myself in the fitter's hands. I do agree at a CC fitting you should go in with an open mind to all the possibilities.

play what you want to play. that doesn't mean the game will be any easier, but i've found over the years that i need to enjoy what is in my bag. otherwise my mind will wander and i'll do the dumb thing of blaming my gear instead of the guy responsible for the bad shots.

I’m a 14 right now and I can confidently hit irons in the same category, although I have never actually hit the t100s. If I were making a set of them I would get PW-6 in the t100s and then 4 & 5 in the t200

This.....all day.

PS: My local course head pro is gaming all T200 and he says he loves them. The T200 are not huge irons. IMHO.....a full set of T200 might be the ideal next step set for you.

I would play what will bring you the most fun and enjoyment. That having been said, it sounds like you are into it to the point that you will want to score your best. I think the T100S would be a bit on the demanding side for most mid caps.

The 200s are super easy to hit and have a great profile. The 200 6 iron is probably the best club in my bag right now. Club Champion will fit you with a 6 iron. Hit both and see what you think. You should know then. If you do combo, I would recommend 200 into the 7 iron and then 100S at the 8 iron down. That will give you the help where you need it the most.

I went to a combo set of the Srixon Z-Forged and Z785 when I was a 12 handicap, and I am currently sitting at 6.3

Had zero intention of putting the blades in my bag, but when I had my fitting they gave me the best numbers of all the irons I tried, so I would say go hit as many as you can and see what works best

I am a messy golfer who is an 18.2 now (3 lost balls off the tee is not uncommon) but have had it down to 11 previously. You seem to hit it better than I do. However, do take a look at the new T300. From my fitting I "could" hit the T200, but they were a touch shorter and even more short on the off center hits vs. the T300. The T300 went very consistent distances with contact all over the face.

Yes they are bigger, but not overly so to my eye.
Make golf easy...make golf funner :)

I'm at a 15 coming down from the 20s this season, I moved from the the Cobra F-9s OL to the Cobra Forged Tec OL, now wanting to get away from OL just recently got a set of 5-GW Srixon ZX7s. Having a club that inspires me to make a shot is just as strong of a feeling as hitting the desired score for the day. The tee and the green are my pain points anyways. I made the decision to get an iron set that was "below my handicap" but I think are freaking awesome! The ZX7s have been really great though up to the 5 iron! No regrets!

I'm at a 15 coming down from the 20s this season, I moved from the the Cobra F-9s OL to the Cobra Forged Tec OL, now wanting to get away from OL just recently got a set of 5-GW Srixon ZX7s. Having a club that inspires me to make a shot is just as strong of a feeling as hitting the desired score for the day. The tee and the green are my pain points anyways. I made the decision to get an iron set that was "below my handicap" but I think are freaking awesome! The ZX7s have been really great though up to the 5 iron! No regrets!
I've looked at the ZX5s and ZX7s and think they could make an awesome blended set, too! Love that you just went with 7s and they're working out. Cheers!

The advice I've often seen given is "play the most forgiving club you can stand to look at". I think that's pretty sound advice.

The advice I've often seen given is "play the most forgiving club you can stand to look at". I think that's pretty sound advice.
That makes a ton of sense, as well! I guess my biggest complaint with the T300's I'm gaming right now is that I get the occasional flyer - e.g. this weekend I hit an 8 iron looking for 150-160 yards and must have pured it to ~180 yards. I'd say it feels like I get a flyer once or twice a round on some of my best fairway lies.

One week out from club fitting and will hopefully find something that works or solidify that I just need to work on the guy swinging the club more!

That makes a ton of sense, as well! I guess my biggest complaint with the T300's I'm gaming right now is that I get the occasional flyer - e.g. this weekend I hit an 8 iron looking for 150-160 yards and must have pured it to ~180 yards. I'd say it feels like I get a flyer once or twice a round on some of my best fairway lies.

One week out from club fitting and will hopefully find something that works or solidify that I just need to work on the guy swinging the club more!
There are different theories about the cause of the type of flyers you report. Some say that it is not a true “flyer,” but a shot where perfect sequencing has come together to optimize ball speed, launch, the technology of the club, etc. and the result is simply that the ball flies further than expected. However, there are also those who say that when a particular design reduces spin to a less than optimal level, a strike a little higher up on the face can sometimes create a launch and very low spin that can unexpectedly yield an extra club distance. Regardless of the cause, the issue will not be unique to the T300s you have been playing. Not knowing much about your swing and consistency in ball striking it is hard to speculate on why you are seeing this on a regular basis. It is something I would discuss with the club fitter, but you may want to be looking at a combination of club head, shaft and ball that will give you a little more spin consistently.

Last edited:
I am a 10 handicap & was fit into the T100s (5i - GW) & T200 (4i) combo set found them while tiny that fit my eye perfectly. I wish I would have went (5i) in T200 because I hit the 4i t200 so well. The 5i t100s has been a love/hate relationship. The 6i - GW have just been straight fire for me. Ive hit a few 200yd 6i & a few 170-180yd 8 irons which to me is crazy. They are demanding but oh so fun to hit.

Best advice is to go open minded into the fitting...like others have said. The game is all about having fun & not worrying what your sticks are doing to your game.

Good Luck & welcome to THP!

There are different theories about the cause of the type of flyers you report. Some say that it is not a true “flyer,” but a shot where perfect sequencing has come together to optimize ball speed, launch, the technology of the club, etc. and the result is simply that the ball flys further than expected. However, there are also those who say that when a particular design reduces spin to a less than optimal level, a strike a little higher up on the face can sometimes create a launch and very low spin that can unexpectedly yield an extra club distance. Regardless of the cause, the issue will not be unique to the T300s you have been playing. Not knowing much about your swing and consistency in ball striking it is hard to speculate on why you are seeing this on a regular basis. It is something I would discuss with the club fitter, but you may want to be looking at a combination of club head, shaft and ball that will give you a little more spin consistently.
I'm definitely curious to see what spin rates look like in the T300s and if I can find something that might give me some more consistency. Either way, trying to go in with an open mind and will report back on what I find out. Thanks for the response!

I am a 10 handicap & was fit into the T100s (5i - GW) & T200 (4i) combo set found them while tiny that fit my eye perfectly. I wish I would have went (5i) in T200 because I hit the 4i t200 so well. The 5i t100s has been a love/hate relationship. The 6i - GW have just been straight fire for me. Ive hit a few 200yd 6i & a few 170-180yd 8 irons which to me is crazy. They are demanding but oh so fun to hit.

Best advice is to go open minded into the fitting...like others have said. The game is all about having fun & not worrying what your sticks are doing to your game.

Good Luck & welcome to THP!
Agreed! I definitely don't want to try and stretch too far to the T100s if it's going to cause more frustration than fun! If I can't get the best of them, I'll put them on my aspirational list and just keep looking to improve and see what's on the market in a couple of seasons. THP has been great and I'm sure I'll be hanging out on this forum a lot more in the future!

I just an average learning hacker golfer, and the t100s combo’d with t200 4 and 5 irons is a good fit for me. They are demanding. Miss center and you and your ball know it. However, they are modern players clubs, which to me means they can be played by a wider range of golfers than one might expect. If they suit your eye (gorgeous) and fit your game needs and interests, they are fantastic clubs. Precise, highly playable, fun clubs. I am very happy I added in the T200’s at the top.

Back