I switched to midsize several years ago, just a much more comfortable feel for me. They do tend to weigh considerably more than standard, so will change your swing-weight some, I think usually lowering the number by about two.

These days there are several manufacturers making mid size grips and the weights range from as light as 23 grams to 70 grams . Depending on the grip weight, swing weight may be influenced by as much as 10 points.

My grip size journey, so far...

I went to midsize grips right out of the gate. GP CP2 Pros, to be specific. I fondled jumbo grips, but they felt too large. Fast-forward to when I got my Mav Max driver. I'd read DeChambeau was experimenting with bigger grips, so I thought "Why the heck not?" and had a CP2 Jumbo put on the new driver.

By this point, having become accustomed to midsize grips as "normal," the jumbo grip no longer felt outrageously large.

Thus, when I went to have my new 4h re-gripped, I wondered if maybe I shouldn't be using jumbo grips on everything. I re-checked my grip on the midsize and jumbo grips. Lo and behold: As per the image @DG_1234 posted, the midsize grips were actually slightly too small for my hands. The young woman behind the counter offered to measure my hand. Turned out I fell right on the cusp between midsize and jumbo. She looked at how I gripped each and concurred that I was better-suited to jumbo.

Now, as to how each will work in practice: That remains to be seen. I've yet to have swung any of the three clubs I had re-gripped with jumbo grips, yet. (Various reasons.) So we shall see.

I play mid size. I feel like a lot of stock grips are almost women’s size.

64 also. Football, baseball and Hockey. Hands are actually still pretty good. I wear an XL glove and have been using midsize for as long as I can remember. The photo chart previously is a very good guide. Anything less than midsize and it feels like I’m gripping a pencil. Proper grip size absolutely makes a difference!

I was just fitted for midsize, or regular with 3 wraps. I'm looking at the MCC Plus4, so would I be looking at the standard for these instead, since they have more wraps already built in?

I'm trying the Tacki-Mac "jumbo's" right now due to arthritis and wrist surgery from a broken carpal that didn't turn out as well as I had hoped.

I'm doing a lot of putting and chipping right now, but I'm still petrified about taking a full swing even though the doctors said that I should be fine.

I really think this is something I need to think about this year. I think maybe one additional tape wrap instead of midsize might help me as my fingers are long enough that often they dig into my hands on the swing and they should not do that. Not sure how much larger midsize is than an additional tape wrap.

I purchased a used set of Mizuno 919 irons that came with the MCC +4 grips that at first I planned to replace, but after using them for awhile I love the feel of them and hit them more consistently than my previous standard grip irons.

I have something midsize or slightly larger in everything except my SW and LW now. I've considered changing them but they're currently the most consistent part of my game so I'll wait until they're getting close to needing to be replaced before messing with anything there.

I switched to mid size grips a few years ago in all my clubs and really like them. I just recently was able to take a demo Epic Max LS out to the course to demo. It had a standard grip which didn't feel awful but I definitely wanted a larger grip. When I returned the demo and bought the driver I asked how many wraps would it take to end up in between standard and midsize. I was told 2 so I decided to give it a shot. I have read how technically standard are supposed to be easier to turn over and promote a draw and that midsize reduce that. I wanted something in the middle and went with the two wraps.First round with it yesterday and it felt great with the two wraps and I think it helped. I won't do it for my irons as I definitely like the feel of actual midsize in my irons and I like how much better in the irons they feel for me but am considering changing my 3 and 5 to two wraps ill see how things progress.

I switched 3 years ago. Really happy I did. I always felt like I had to choke the crap out of the club but now I don't have that feeling.

Back