middle ground between GI and Players irons??

alaskaguy2021

Reaction score
Handicap
hi all,
been doing a ton of research and trying to figure out what i want. I dont have my Handicap but on average i will score between 98-110. When i use to play more often (which im starting to again) my range was more 95-105 and most of my added strokes were from the box or not taking my time putting. I feel my 6-PW game is going beyond GI level, as-in im wanting more spin and dont need the help in loft since I get the ball up just fine. Already talked on another thread and sounds like the PXG 0311XF are an awesome option and im scheduled for a swing session at their Scottsdale facility in a week. but its always good to know what the options are right?!?! so here are some other clubs that came on to my radar that i was hoping to get some feedback and opinions. Main objectives are to have more spin and a nice clean look of players irons but still forgiving since im obviously not a club status player. Figured i should be able to take a swing with any option thrown out there while im in Phoenix.

PXG 0311XF
TM P790
Ping G700
Callaway Apex Forged (not sure if im good enough for the Apex Pro which is getting close to a straight players iron)

callaway apex cf19. SO good.

It's not on your list, but middle ground would be the PlayersDistance Category and I would have you consider the Cobra Forged Tec Irons. I also liked the Ping I500s

I think the mix sets are the way to go in this situation. 7-4 hollow body and the scoring irons in cavity backs. I went with this with the Cleveland UHX. A perfect balance for me so far.

It's not on your list, but middle ground would be the PlayersDistance Category and I would have you consider the Cobra Forged Tec Irons. I also liked the Ping I500s
wow those Cobras look stunning, but would they have the forgivness? they look like a pretty strict players iron?

Ping i210 - forgiving enough for good swings and pros. Power Specs for more distance. If you want more spin, then stock

Callaway Mavrik

Mizuno HMP

Although on most GI to players irons - spin is relatively low with a high launch

I’ve been playing the P790’s for 2 years I guess. They won’t be leaving the bag anytime soon. I’m a 13 handicap, and I hit my irons garbage. And low. These improved my iron play no end. I was concerned about the string lifts and the supposed low spin. Neither have been an issue for me. I hit the irons nice and high and get a load of control into the greens, even on the longer irons. They look great and perform even better for me. That being said, I did go for a thorough fitting with these, so I’m sure that’s a factor too.

Ping i210 - forgiving enough for good swings and pros. Power Specs for more distance. If you want more spin, then stock

Callaway Mavrik

Mizuno HMP

Although on most GI to players irons - spin is relatively low with a high launch
and that's the thing, I am getting way more loft than i need with my current Nike Vapor Speed's and not enough spin. not the only reason im looking for new clubs but i hit some shots this summer that were beautiful and than the ball just walked off the green when it should have stuck.

wow those Cobras look stunning, but would they have the forgivness? they look like a pretty strict players iron?

I threw it in as a comparison as you had included the P790s in your list.

I've hit both side by side in fact and the lateral forgiveness on the Forged Tec matched the the P790s and IMO the sound of the Forged Tec and feel (see less harsh) was superior. I also think that in your research they are very competitively priced.

(not intending to hard sell you lol)

Don't get hung up on the iron category. It is mostly marketing. Get fitted and try a bunch of different types. And keep an open mind. I'm a 5.5 index and play Ping G700 irons. They may be classified as super game improvement. But, they meet my performance needs - higher trajectory and increased distance while providing a good descent angle to hold greens.

Don't get hung up on the iron category. It is mostly marketing. Get fitted and try a bunch of different types. And keep an open mind. I'm a 5.5 index and play Ping G700 irons. They may be classified as super game improvement. But, they meet my performance needs - higher trajectory and increased distance while providing a good descent angle to hold greens.
That's a great point. A few years ago I got fit and when I told the guy I was a 25 handicap, he gave me a bunch of chunky irons. I couldn't hit them for anything. Turns out the wide sole is a no go with my delivery. I still play irons that should be out of my class, but I hit them way better than the super "forgiving" irons.

The Player's Distance category!!!

I play Titleist T200's and love them.

and that's the thing, I am getting way more loft than i need with my current Nike Vapor Speed's and not enough spin. not the only reason im looking for new clubs but i hit some shots this summer that were beautiful and than the ball just walked off the green when it should have stuck.

What ball are you playing, makes a huge difference in spin and holding greens if you’re coming in hot.

What ball are you playing, makes a huge difference in spin and holding greens if you’re coming in hot.
i believe they are Srixon soft feel...its Alaska so i havnt touched my bag since early September haha

Yes, the forged tec have lots of forgiveness and you should try them along with the others. I went from Super Game Improvement set (Callaway Big Bertha 2019) to the Cobra One Length Forged Tec and my iron game improved.

Mizuno Hot Metal Pro, Ping G700 or I500, Srixon Z585 (or soon the ZX5), TM P790, Honma XP1 would all be worth a good look.

When they are released....I would add the new Ben Hogan Edge 2 irons. Im in the same scoring range as you. I was play Ping G410 and just made the jump to BH PTxPro. I needed help in the spin department. The Hogans and Recoil shafts really changed my ball flight and green interaction. The soon to be released Edge 2 irons look amazing and feel really good to hit.

thats a great point that i never thought of....and like the other member said after you...maybe the wide sole, large face, or other GI attributes may actually be an issue for me but i never knew because up until now i have never looked or tried anything other than GI clubs. when i would go try a set i would just tell the shop "what do you have for lefty GI's in stock to try"

this is a good discussion, this is where im at, i dont know if i should go full bore with b21 or a combo set and i really like the looks of the ben hogan or what i will ultimately do is look at the zx5 or 7.
im trying to find a balance or do i just go all out players/mb 6-pw...
idk im lost ugh
i will not give up hybrids though, 3-4-5, my iron set has to consist of 6-wedge, which then leads me to say maybe ill just go with players..

When they are released....I would add the new Ben Hogan Edge 2 irons. Im in the same scoring range as you. I was play Ping G410 and just made the jump to BH PTxPro. I needed help in the spin department. The Hogans and Recoil shafts really changed my ball flight and green interaction. The soon to be released Edge 2 irons look amazing and feel really good to hit.
those were actually on my initial list but i took them off for two reasons... 1. i wont be able to try them in Phoenix since they are direct sale and 2. I couldnt really get a feel from the article wrote on how forgiving they were....referring to the PTxPro

hi all,
been doing a ton of research and trying to figure out what i want. I dont have my Handicap but on average i will score between 98-110. When i use to play more often (which im starting to again) my range was more 95-105 and most of my added strokes were from the box or not taking my time putting. I feel my 6-PW game is going beyond GI level, as-in im wanting more spin and dont need the help in loft since I get the ball up just fine. Already talked on another thread and sounds like the PXG 0311XF are an awesome option and im scheduled for a swing session at their Scottsdale facility in a week. but its always good to know what the options are right?!?! so here are some other clubs that came on to my radar that i was hoping to get some feedback and opinions. Main objectives are to have more spin and a nice clean look of players irons but still forgiving since im obviously not a club status player. Figured i should be able to take a swing with any option thrown out there while im in Phoenix.

PXG 0311XF
TM P790
Ping G700
Callaway Apex Forged (not sure if im good enough for the Apex Pro which is getting close to a straight players iron)

You need to try out the Mizuno JPX 921 Forged, and HMB 20 if you are trying those other models. They are awesome!

Most irons now go for higher launch, lofts are reduced for less spin and more distance - so you can get spin through the right ball and a fit shaft.

At my last fitting, I brought 3 different balls to see which fit - none of them - lol - and then he tossed me some Chrome Softs. But when I get on the course, I will throw down some of those balls if flight and spin are too high.

those were actually on my initial list but i took them off for two reasons... 1. i wont be able to try them in Phoenix since they are direct sale and 2. I couldnt really get a feel from the article wrote on how forgiving they were....referring to the PTxPro

Hogan's demo program is very easy to use. For $20 they send you a 6i and 9i. for $30 you could try the 6&9 from the two different club styles (PTxPro and Edge). You get to keep them for two weeks, and the cost is for all shipping. A prepaid label is in the box for return. Club Champion has Hogans if you wanted a more intensive test of the clubs.

I would say they are more forgiving than they look. Toe hits are not punished too much. Hitting fat is punished. One really great thing about them is the feed back the club gives you. When I played my G410, It had to be a really horrible swing for me to tell where i was struck on the club face. With the PTxPro, I know without looking where I hit it. and they feel absolutely heavenly when you hit them.

I live in Phoenix too. There's an active group of THPers in AZ if you ever what to tee it up with us, give us a shout.

I threw it in as a comparison as you had included the P790s in your list.

I've hit both side by side in fact and the lateral forgiveness on the Forged Tec matched the the P790s and IMO the sound of the Forged Tec and feel (see less harsh) was superior. I also think that in your research they are very competitively priced.

(not intending to hard sell you lol)

the new forged tec definitely photograph well and they look good, but in person they were quite a bit bigger than i expected. i would give the size profile to the p790 between those two, it just hides its girth better for what i prefer to look at. that said, i agree with @OITW that forged tec feel/sound way better than p790 and perform every bit as well.

Back