middle ground between GI and Players irons??

I am a huge advocate for players that are improving to jump straight into players irons, or at least a split set with players irons from 7 iron onwards. You will likely get worse before you get better, but the feedback and consistency that comes from playing this type of clubs is invaluable. However, this is only relevant to golfers who intend on spending plenty of time on the range and with their PGA pro to work on their game.

If you want to play your best golf right now the Srixon ZX5 is my benchmark for an iron in this category. Goes as far as most, spins plenty, launches well, feels good, has tons of forgiveness, and is 30% cheaper than any other option where I live (Australia). The only downside is the cavity is visible at address in the 4 and 5 irons but this is common with irons in this category.

I like the Apex CF19 too. Gamed these clubs for a year. Very soft feel. Good looks both in the bag and at address. Very good irons but distance dispersion is more consistent for me in the ZX5's. I found the 921 Forged to perform absolutely identically to the Apex CF19. The feel was slightly better but had the same issues in getting tight distance dispersion.

Mavrik Pro did not perform as well for me as the Apex CF19. I disliked the sound/feel of the i500 and the T200. P790 does not spin and the longer irons launch way too low. Have had limited time with the Forged TEC and Mizuno HMP/HMB, and have never hit a PXG, Honma or Wilson iron given limited availabiltiy in Australia.

I have PXGs but the cheaper O211s on a Veterans’s discount with fitted Accra shafts and have a pretty classic look and are working very well. I was a lower handicap playing classic blade type or slight cavities in Titleist Hogans or Mizunos but now older and these irons just have a great look and performance for me through set.

Not that these ratings should be followed as the definitive word on feel and forgiveness, but I at least respect Maltby and the MPF ratings

Try narrowing your search down to the clubs you really want and then check their MPF for fun to see if they align with your perspective on the club. There is a lot of science that goes into these.

https://www.golfworks.com/iron-head-mpf-ratings/a/870/

Not that these ratings should be followed as the definitive word on feel and forgiveness, but I at least respect Maltby and the MPF ratings

Try narrowing your search down to the clubs you really want and then check their MPF for fun to see if they align with your perspective on the club. There is a lot of science that goes into these.

i have never seen that, super cool to browse though. thanks!

ok guys, there were not to many used lefty sets in Phoenix while i was here. Ended up getting fitted for the Apex Forged and didn't need much change except adding just a hair of lie angle. Just got done playing 4 days in a row and went from shooting a normal 100-110 all the way down to shooting 91-90-86-87!!! i also did finally get a stiff shaft for my drive to match all my other clubs which helped (sounds stupid but i bought the driver years ago and never noticed it was regular stiffness because i was still pretty new to golf)

granted the courses down here are much more player friendly than Alaskan courses so that probably helped with the lower score too.

Playability is not a factor. I don't take them seriously. I play the Mizuno HMB, which is classed as conventional at 478, barely above the blade at 430-something. I'm not that good of a ball striker to play an iron barely above a classic blade. I play the 919F last year, which was 619 - laughable in terms of the difference. I hit the HMBs better than the 919F.

So while it may be a starting point for some, it means nothing to me.

Ping i210. Perfect blend of forgivness and accuracy. I've owned Hot metals, T200s, Apex 19 and 16s and the i210s are much more accurate for me. I did lose distance with the i210s bc they do not have crazy strong lofts but I score so much better with these clubs.

Ping i210. Perfect blend of forgivness and accuracy. I've owned Hot metals, T200s, Apex 19 and 16s and the i210s are much more accurate for me. I did lose distance with the i210s bc they do not have crazy strong lofts but I score so much better with these clubs.

Agree --- If Ping had a decent delivery schedule, I'd have ordered a set of i210s. Almost purchased them instead of 919F. Should have ordered them with power specs. And Ping doesn't have very good options in stock graphite - which may have been the deciding factor. 919F had PX Tour LZ 90 at the time - a really good shaft.

Back