Military history pictures(contest)

Qwkz51

El Conquistador
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I've always had a deep appreciation for military folks. I almost joined the Army as an MP in 1998 out of high school. Choose a different path and but I've always had that itch and curiosity. Anyone else have cool relics from military family?
Post up stories/pictures from you or family and I'll choose my favorite or random draw and send you something 😎

My Grandad was in WW2 he never spoke to me or my siblings about it. He told my mom when he was getting up in age, he was a camp cook, but had guard duty one night. A couple of Philippines boys snuck into the camps with grenades/explosives and he caught them. He was forced to shoot them :( it haunted him his whole life. He was awarded 3 bronze stars, but gave the medals away and said he didn't want to see them and be remindedhow he got them. I have seen the discharge papers to confirm the awards. He spent everyday of his adult life in church praying for those kids. After my grandmother passed, we were cleaning out the attic and buried in a box were books from his time overseas.
20201230-094018.jpg

20201230-094013.jpg

I was able to piece together his awards from paperwork, although some of it was damaged in the St Louis records fire, so I'll never know everything about his time.
20210212-214427.jpg

To add more to the conversation, my dad's uncle for which I was named. Pretty much the only family that ever treated my dad like a human when he was growing up. (Whole different story)
IMG-0977.jpg
IMG-0978.jpg

IMG-0980.jpg

IMG-0984.jpg

Incredible pieces, and story.

I grew up with a Grandfather in the Air Force and a Father in the Army. Lots of stories, but like you, some weren’t (or rarely) told.
I’ll try to find some of the pictures and historical objects.
Growing up my my father and I would go to a family friend’s farm, and use a metal detector to walk around. We found numerous musket balls, cannonballs, and pins from the Civil War that we donated to the Patton Museum.

More recently, we found some objects from my wife’s grandfather from his time in WW2. One of the more interesting things we have from him now is the 1936 Olympic Games trading cards from Germany. Including several Jesse Owens cards, but also inclusive of Nazi Propaganda in the set. Interesting pieces of history.

Incredible pieces, and story.

I grew up with a Grandfather in the Air Force and a Father in the Army. Lots of stories, but like you, some weren’t (or rarely) told.
I’ll try to find some of the pictures and historical objects.
Growing up my my father and I would go to a family friend’s farm, and use a metal detector to walk around. We found numerous musket balls, cannonballs, and pins from the Civil War that we donated to the Patton Museum.

More recently, we found some objects from my wife’s grandfather from his time in WW2. One of the more interesting things we have from him now is the 1936 Olympic Games trading cards from Germany. Including several Jesse Owens cards, but also inclusive of Nazi Propaganda in the set. Interesting pieces of history.
Would love to see pictures of your finds!

Thanks for sharing what a piece of history!
Here is my own:
Since this event was 30 years ago very appropriate (Desert Storm). I retired in 2016 after 30 years and some change. The photo with the Blackhawk helicopter was on D-Day my unit was part of the largest combat air assault in military history. Over 400 helicopters flew 155 miles into Iraq.IMG_0924.jpgIMG_0925.jpgIMG_0927.jpgIMG_0928.jpg

Thanks for sharing what a piece of history!
Here is my own:
Since this event was 30 years ago very appropriate (Desert Storm). I retired in 2016 after 30 years and some change. The photo with the Blackhawk helicopter was on D-Day my unit was part of the largest combat air assault in military history. OView attachment 8993459View attachment 8993460View attachment 8993461View attachment 8993462ver 400 helicopters flew 155 miles into Iraq.
Awesome! Thank you for your service!

Thank you for sharing your story! I have a great appreciation for our military and their service and sacrifice. My grandfathers both served domestically during WW2. We have flags commemorating their service. My best man spent half a decade in the Navy and my brother-in-law was in the Marines for over a decade. One of my grandfathers was a barber in the marines and negotiated his way into a job on base. They were looking for someone who could type and he raised his hand before proceeding to mime typing with his index fingers... he was a wheeler and dealer and a great storyteller. I have a bunch of old foreign currency that my grandfather collected from fellow service members.

Dang, makes me wanna fetch the old picture box and start diggin.......

My Italian grandfather fought in ww2, but would not talk about it all. The only thing I knew was he brought back his 1911 sidearm & a short barreled German luger. Both of which are in my uncle's possession & I'm supposed to inherit. I really wish I knew more.

I've always had a deep appreciation for military folks. I almost joined the Army as an MP in 1998 out of high school. Choose a different path and but I've always had that itch and curiosity. Anyone else have cool relics from military family?
Post up stories/pictures from you or family and I'll choose my favorite or random draw and send you something 😎

My Grandad was in WW2 he never spoke to me or my siblings about it. He told my mom when he was getting up in age, he was a camp cook, but had guard duty one night. A couple of Philippines boys snuck into the camps with grenades/explosives and he caught them. He was forced to shoot them :( it haunted him his whole life. He was awarded 3 bronze stars, but gave the medals away and said he didn't want to see them and be remindedhow he got them. I have seen the discharge papers to confirm the awards. He spent everyday of his adult life in church praying for those kids. After my grandmother passed, we were cleaning out the attic and buried in a box were books from his time overseas.
20201230-094018.jpg

20201230-094013.jpg

I was able to piece together his awards from paperwork, although some of it was damaged in the St Louis records fire, so I'll never know everything about his time.
20210212-214427.jpg

To add more to the conversation, my dad's uncle for which I was named. Pretty much the only family that ever treated my dad like a human when he was growing up. (Whole different story)
IMG-0977.jpg
IMG-0978.jpg

IMG-0980.jpg

IMG-0984.jpg

Dude! Awesome stuff. Thank you for sharing! I don’t have much to share. I had a few Marines on my moms side. None of them really spoke about it other than my second grandpa (first was a marine too). He’d have to be pretty deep into a bottle before he would discuss it.

All three of them have taken lives and all were/are haunted by it.

Great topic. I don't have any photo's, though there are some on the internet.
In the early 1970's I was serving in the USAF, and got assigned to Tin City AFB in Alaska. It was a radar site staffed by 88 men and a Siberian Husky mascot. Russia had their complementary radar site 48 miles away, across the Bering Sea, in Siberia.
I got to see the Northern Lights, fish from the Bering Sea, watch migrating whales twice a year, get up close to native seals, visit a nearby "eskimo" village, and learn to enjoy around-the-clock pinochle.
Would I do it again if I ever had the chance? Absolutely NEVER!

I have a couple of old prints(1917) and a company photo that includes my Great Grandpa! I've had these for about 20 years, they were a Chrismas gift from my Grandmother. Sadly at this time they are not displayed, but hope to put them up soon. They definitely deserve to be shown!!0222210903.jpg0222210903a.jpg0222210903b.jpg

10659169_10152310839622124_720951937800383940_n.jpeg

33998692048_3a31662e37_c.jpg

My grandfather served in the infantry in WWII, he had a ton of pictures (which I believe my mom still has) though I'm not really sure there's anything worth looking at. What few stories he did tell, I was too young to recall. I may ask my mom where she kept his things when I visit this spring. I have always been curious.

My Father-in-law was a career Navy man. Joined at 16, and served in the Korean Conflict, the American War in Vietnam, and the Invasion of Grenada, and rose to the rank of Master Chief. As an Aviator, he had a lot of great stories. Most of which he put a funny touch on.

Shortly before his retirement he was offered the role or Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy (MCPON) which, to my understanding, is an incredible honor as there is only on person with this rank at any time. He declined citing personal reasons.

He was buried at LA National Cemetery with full honors. He is very missed around here.

I'll have to dig out my great grandfather's WWII stuff later so I can get some pictures. He was an engineer and invented some machinery during the war, which was patented, and given to the US government to help with the efforts. One was a stamping machine for mass production of detonator caps. The other was a coating machine, also used for painting munitions. There's also a letter signed by FDR, thanking him.

Nice thread!

My father (US Army) was in Vietnam when I was born and I have a great letter that he wrote to me right after he was notified of my birth. The envelope has no stamp, as all mail from in country was free. It’s a great momento and I also have a few pictures of him from his service days.

As my avatar shows, I chose a different service and enlisted right before the first Gulf War. Never made it to the gulf, but did visit Japan and the Philippine.

My oldest son took after his grandfather and went Army, but was the first to become an officer. He just returned from his first deployment overseas and Mom is real happy to have him home safely.

Glad to see other vets on the board and keep hitting ‘em straight and long.

Semper Fi!

1969 Nha Trang Vietnam. Me and some great guys just getting together.

scan0001.jpg

Thank you to everyone posting they served. I am hoping a few more past and I will pm someone and send a little something their way!

Retired Army doctor who started a PFC medic and X-ray tech and now serve Veterans at VA. My memories are many and best of all I met my wife while stationed in Panama and also played on the SOUTHCOM golf team and in the Panasonic Open held near the ocean at Corando there.

Nice pic! My father was MACV Advisory Team 33 and served 69-70. I’ll be golfing with one of his service buddies next week.

Semper Fi!

Cool - one of the guys in the above photo I have not seen since 1970 - but we talk on the phone and email quite often. We talk about meeting up but have not done it yet. (y)

10671384_10154791100245257_4683379158369689756_n.jpg1385536_10154791100180257_5849070507423435078_n.jpg

1969 Nha Trang Vietnam. Me and some great guys just getting together.

View attachment 8995260
My dad's brother was 1 week from coming home and the mine engineer he was working with tripped a mine. It took the leg of the engineer, and hit him in the chest killing him instantly. The Family thought for years he lost his leg and bled to death. My dad actually got in contact with his sergeant who told him the correct story after 40 years. :(

Back