Templet0n

washed...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
snow..
I was able to get out on an actual golf course today for the first time in almost a month. It was only for about 40 min and it was only some chipping and pitching. But I noticed something I and I farted around not really trying to accomplish anything. I don’t know if it was just tonight or if this will continue or not.

but, I was throwing chips right next to the hole and even made a couple. Putts were dropping. Even some pretty long putts. After wards as I drive home it kinda dawned on me.

on the chipping green I was hitting them to tap in range. But when I was hitting the chips I was “trying” to hole them not get them close.
The putts were going in because I was trying to hole them. Not trying to “not miss” if that makes sense.

i wonder how much our mindset as we hit chits actually has a large impact on the outcome. There are days I play really well and I am not even trying to play well. But when I try to play well it seems to go worse.

how Much have you thought about your mindset in the course? Or even from shot to shot? I am going to try and apply the I am going to hole this shot more often. Even if it is a 100 shot.:ROFLMAO:

I don’t know what you call it, but I think it’s a subconscious pressure we place on hitting the perfect shot. If the “second guy” would show up first I’d be a hell of a golfer. For now I’ll settle for “2nd Team All American” lol

Mindset and in a way like you said, care, change everything. I’ve been with you there. I’m rounds or shots that don’t mean anything (like Mike said, the second guy) are always so stress free and effortless. Getting that mindset when it matters is the hardest part of this game for me

Mindset and in a way like you said, care, change everything. I’ve been with you there. I’m rounds or shots that don’t mean anything (like Mike said, the second guy) are always so stress free and effortless. Getting that mindset when it matters is the hardest part of this game for me
I honestly don’t know if I have thought about it before. The idea of don’t miss this vs. let’s hole it.

It’s kinda the same but not at the same time.

I’ve always done better with a more aggressive mindset. But I’ve also put myself in some bad spots occasionally by choosing aggressive targets. I think I need to use the planning and playing boxes. I do worse when I think of where the good miss is as I’m about to swing. It’s still a good thing to know to setup my shot beforehand, but I should be thinking about hitting my target as I’m getting ready to swing. I think there was a Tiger quote about how he always makes an aggressive swing to his target, it’s just that his target may be conservative. I’m pretty sure that’s what I need to do and wonder if that could be part of what you’re seeing.

Sounds like a lot less thinking was going on and more doing. I do believe mindset does change things as well.

I’ve always done better with a more aggressive mindset. But I’ve also put myself in some bad spots occasionally by choosing aggressive targets. I think I need to use the planning and playing boxes. I do worse when I think of where the good miss is as I’m about to swing. It’s still a good thing to know to setup my shot beforehand, but I should be thinking about hitting my target as I’m getting ready to swing. I think there was a Tiger quote about how he always makes an aggressive swing to his target, it’s just that his target may be conservative. I’m pretty sure that’s what I need to do and wonder if that could be part of what you’re seeing.

all good thoughts. Whatever it takes to take tentativeness out of your stroke or swing.

Sounds like a lot less thinking was going on and more doing. I do believe mindset does change things as well.
It was.

Lou Stagner, who I think is a good follow, says that mental game training is the most impactful for most golfers.

I tend to agree. My best golf is when my head is on straight and I tune out all of the external and internal noises.

Or as Payne Stewart once said: "A bad attitude is worse than a bad swing."

Present tense vs. past tense. Forward action/progress continues until you introduce doubt.

Mindset you’re looking for is to think of where you want the ball to go, not Not where you want the ball to go.

Example: Tee shot with water on the right. Don’t say to yourself “ don’t go in the water.” Instead pick your spot in the fairway where you want the ball to end up.

I'm thinking about holing it, or 'cracking the pin', more often than most around me. I'm not worried about a miss as much as some, and I think that helps make that aggressive and hopeful approach go even better than it would otherwise. Like I said in another thread earlier, I'm not out there trying not to f**k it up. Even if I'm just going for my spot, I'm going at it pretty aggressively. I think it helps with focus and maintaining a small target.
Quickest way for my dispersion to grow and kick ins and hole outs to lessen is for me to just be aiming for an "area".

I'm thinking about holing it, or 'cracking the pin', more often than most around me. I'm not worried about a miss as much as some, and I think that helps make that aggressive and hopeful approach go even better than it would otherwise. Like I said in another thread earlier, I'm not out there trying not to f**k it up. Even if I'm just going for my spot, I'm going at it pretty aggressively. I think it helps with focus and maintaining a small target.
Quickest way for my dispersion to grow and kick ins and hole outs to lessen is for me to just be aiming for an "area".

Think how often when we truly visualize a shot and just let it happen, it comes off exactly like we intended. Not always of course, but enough to certainly give validity to the idea that more focus gives a higher chance of success. As Tiger said, play aggressively to a conservative spot.

That said, in putting and chipping there are definitely times when you have to be defensive and making it is really not an option.

I always try to make my chips. I’m a firm believer it if goes past at least I will have the read for the comeback putt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can be my own worst enemy!

I try think of the best result of a swing, not worst, and it works out better

I definitely find myself putting unneeded pressure on myself sometimes and trying not to miss, more than trying to focus on the positive and hitting a good shot. If I stay calm and focused on a positive swing and outcome, I tend to do better. It's easy for me to get drawn into what I don't want to do rather than what I want to do. I tend to rush myself when that happens and the swing results are poor. An area of my mental game I need to work on.

I think it's been touched on already. You were out there free and easy just having fun with no consequences. That allowed you to be aggressive with your shots and like you said, trying to hole them instead of not miss.

During a round I find that I often put pressure on myself because it "counts". The million dollar question is how to take that more carefree mental state onto the course.

Depending on my lie, I always have the mindset I want to hole or worst case be within short range for tap in putt. I am wary though of speed and if miss what dangers lie past the hole, for example a huge drop off where the ball could run off the green.

So… at times I do want to hole but really play for position, not to miss badly. Not sure if that makes sense but if the hole is in crazy location and odds of holing out are pretty slim, I will play to get it as close without making the putt extremely difficult or long.

I don’t know what you call it, but I think it’s a subconscious pressure we place on hitting the perfect shot. If the “second guy” would show up first I’d be a hell of a golfer. For now I’ll settle for “2nd Team All American” lol
The second guy is a hell of a golfer, is pretty much my absolute mantra around the course :LOL:

mindset is so huge in all aspects of life…it sets you up for how you go into, experience and react to everything.

confidence turning into expectations is one of my biggest issues

We had a scratch golfer who played a lot of junior golf join us for multiple rounds this year, and one thing that I really noticed was that within 20 yards of the green he put everything tight. I asked him about it, and he said something along the lines of "I'm trying to make everything from that distance".

It really struck me for some reason, and I tried to adopt the same mindset. Ultimately I believe my approach shots wind up closer to the hole as a result (I've even made some)

What's that adage - Aim small, miss small?

I was able to get out on an actual golf course today for the first time in almost a month. It was only for about 40 min and it was only some chipping and pitching. But I noticed something I and I farted around not really trying to accomplish anything. I don’t know if it was just tonight or if this will continue or not.

but, I was throwing chips right next to the hole and even made a couple. Putts were dropping. Even some pretty long putts. After wards as I drive home it kinda dawned on me.

on the chipping green I was hitting them to tap in range. But when I was hitting the chips I was “trying” to hole them not get them close.
The putts were going in because I was trying to hole them. Not trying to “not miss” if that makes sense.

i wonder how much our mindset as we hit chits actually has a large impact on the outcome. There are days I play really well and I am not even trying to play well. But when I try to play well it seems to go worse.

how Much have you thought about your mindset in the course? Or even from shot to shot? I am going to try and apply the I am going to hole this shot more often. Even if it is a 100 shot.:ROFLMAO:
Those days are so fun and special. Those are the moments that stick with you and make you want to come back. The days I can piece together 2 or 3 elements of my game, are the days I live for

This got me thinking. As much as I talk about "going for the trash can lid" that I really am trying to make the putts. I'm just putting a little more defensively so I don't end up with a 6' putt coming back the other way. I find the apex of the putt and make sure I hit it. I definitely don't want to leave it 8' short. Same goes for picking the right landing zone for a chip. I play pretty aggressive golf. Probably too aggressive for my HC.

Back