Minnesota & Wisconsin Thread

how does it compare to stoneridge?
I've only played Stoneridge once and it was before I got serious about golf. Buddies tell me they're comparable. Stoneridge is more open and links oriented. Royal Club has lots of elevation and plenty of trees and water. Can't go wrong with either course.

Haven't seen the Royal Club. It was a super fun 27 holes as Tartan Park. First course of "renowned" MN architect Joel Goldstrand. Gone. Thanks Hollis.
Loved getting on for $35 there when it was empty and they looked to fill tee slots for a long time when they opened to the public. It was like I had died and went to golf heaven. :love: What's it, $100 now? 😕

Lots of rounds at Stoneridge. Super cool architectural features you don't see at a lot of courses this side of town for sure. Hard as HELL when the wind is howling, especially the back nine when you emerge from "the bowl." Elevation changes, waste bunkers with rocks everywhere. Fescue. Love it. Also a course I got deals on for a long time there. Glad they held on. It was getting a little shaggy there for a while. No idea now.

Go East, young man, from Stoneridge into Hudson, WI and play Troy Burne while you're at it. Linksy too.

Haven't seen the Royal Club. It was a super fun 27 holes as Tartan Park. First course of "renowned" MN architect Joel Goldstrand. Gone. Thanks Hollis.
Loved getting on for $35 there when it was empty and they looked to fill tee slots for a long time when they opened to the public. It was like I had died and went to golf heaven. :love: What's it, $100 now? 😕

Lots of rounds at Stoneridge. Super cool architectural features you don't see at a lot of courses this side of town for sure. Hard as HELL when the wind is howling, especially the back nine when you emerge from "the bowl." Elevation changes, waste bunkers with rocks everywhere. Fescue. Love it. Also a course I got deals on for a long time there. Glad they held on. It was getting a little shaggy there for a while. No idea now.

Go East, young man, from Stoneridge into Hudson, WI and play Troy Burne while you're at it. Linksy too.

Looks like it is only $65 or so during peak hours for non-residents of Lake Elmo

Looks like it is only $65 or so during peak hours for non-residents of Lake Elmo
OK, $85 w/ a cart I see. I've always walked it, but it has some hills. $40 twilight walking is very reasonable. I just really want to see what they did with the land. It was so wide open before with the 27 holes. See how many houses they are plunking out there.
From the first few hole descriptions, sounds like the front 9 starts out the same at least. Worked in the area for 11 years. Used to go hit balls there after work.

OK, $85 w/ a cart I see. I've always walked it, but it has some hills. $40 twilight walking is very reasonable. I just really want to see what they did with the land. It was so wide open before with the 27 holes. See how many houses they are plunking out there.
From the first few hole descriptions, sounds like the front 9 starts out the same at least. Worked in the area for 11 years. Used to go hit balls there after work.

hopefully they didn’t make it into Deer Run! Too many houses lining the course for my taste

Played Royal the first time a couple weeks ago. Was very impressed with it, and don't worry it is nothing like Deer Run, plenty of room to miss fairways without hitting into someone's back yard.
Front 9 was designed by Anikka Sorensen, and is extremely tough. Back 9 was designed by Arnold Palmer, and is a little more open. If I lived closer, it would be part of my usual rotation, as it was a great course to play.

Man, I'm over on the other side of town. I didn't know that course existed.

I'm still finding out about new courses even on this side :p

I only played this one once crossing over into WI:
Would go back again in a heartbeat. Had a blast at that one. Really reasonable rates and nice conditions a few yrs ago, anyway.

hadn’t even heard of that course... how is it?

It was nice. Every hole was different. Lots of undulation and the greens had a lot of undulations in them. If you missed on the wrong side of the green, you were faced with a very tough putt.

Give me a PM the next time you are up. Would love playing Golf with you two again.

Yes! We did talk quite a bit about the match at TCI. Good times!

This is where I was staying at. Troy Burne is 10 minutes down the road. Played there a couple times during my trips up here. GREAT course. Didnt play this time as I had already played there. But did have a couple range seshes there while I was up and they have a great practice putting green.

Played Royal the first time a couple weeks ago. Was very impressed with it, and don't worry it is nothing like Deer Run, plenty of room to miss fairways without hitting into someone's back yard.
Front 9 was designed by Anikka Sorensen, and is extremely tough. Back 9 was designed by Arnold Palmer, and is a little more open. If I lived closer, it would be part of my usual rotation, as it was a great course to play.

Yes, first couple holes you have to keep it in front of you more than the back. Its playable, especially when you play it once and see your landing spots. Def thumbs up

Does anyone use the PCC Public Country Club card? Just moved to River Falls and a buddy recommended it.

Another buddy is a member at Royal, claims I'll get to play on him next summer, looking forward to that!

I just saw on the news a course has reopened today. I'm guessing they'll be open tomorrow as well as it will be even warmer tomorrow. I Missed which course they said it was but thought it was good to hear.

Yes I have received a few emails of courses being open for the coming days

Looks like we're going to be golfing into December this year. Many people out at Phalen today.

Got out and played today and it was a fun and interesting round. Not too often you get to play golf in MN in December. The ground is frozen and some of the greens were harder than concrete and some a bit more receptive as they were in the sun all day unlike others. The greens that were hard like concrete were interesting on approach shots. 1st you had to decide if they were receptive or like concrete and if you went for it the green and it turned out to be a concrete green watch out. I literally had a ball bounce like 25 yds in the air after hitting the green. It bounce higher than I have ever seen a ball bounce before and I have hit my share of cart paths and rock it was crazy I thought for sure I had to had hit a rock or sprinkler head but nope just the green. So for the remainder of the day was definitely playing short trying to bounce things on the green. It was entertaining for sure. Overall didn't play too bad considering the conditions and having not swung a club in a month. 47/40 for a total of 87, back 9 was definitely more thawed out and was more used to running the ball up on the green.

Got out and played today and it was a fun and interesting round. Not too often you get to play golf in MN in December. The ground is frozen and some of the greens were harder than concrete and some a bit more receptive as they were in the sun all day unlike others. The greens that were hard like concrete were interesting on approach shots. 1st you had to decide if they were receptive or like concrete and if you went for it the green and it turned out to be a concrete green watch out. I literally had a ball bounce like 25 yds in the air after hitting the green. It bounce higher than I have ever seen a ball bounce before and I have hit my share of cart paths and rock it was crazy I thought for sure I had to had hit a rock or sprinkler head but nope just the green. So for the remainder of the day was definitely playing short trying to bounce things on the green. It was entertaining for sure. Overall didn't play too bad considering the conditions and having not swung a club in a month. 47/40 for a total of 87, back 9 was definitely more thawed out and was more used to running the ball up on the green.
That's howhow Tom Lehman won the Open...pplaying the game in these conditions for years.

Many people out at Phalen all this week. Looks like a 50* next week. :)

Was able to get out and golf again today at Stonebrooke in Shakopee, definitely was chillier than Friday as the sun did not shine today at all. Greens there were a little more receptive and didn't bounce off every time. Guessing this is my last time out in MN but who know with 2020 and its craziness.

Who got out and played today? Where’d you play and what was your best shot of the day?

I played Albion Ridges in Annandale. Best shot - 3 wood uphill into a par 5. Laying 2.... 3 putted.

I didn't play but got to the practice green. Phalen was as packed as I've ever seen it in...ddecember..:D

I was only able to make it out to the local par 3 course today. It was very busy but can't complain about golf in December in MN, not sure if I will try to get out tomorrow or not without the sun out would be pretty chilly.

Phalen packed again today. I bet we're not done yet, either. :)

Phalen packed again today. I bet we're not done yet, either. :)

Thought about “having a fever” today and getting out to a course to see if that cures it... but then I remembered I’d be out for another 10 days too...

Hey everyone, I was hoping to put together an event this summer. Thinking like StoneRidge, Troy Byrne or Meadows at Mystic. Anyone have any interest?

Back