Mismatched pairs / foursomes....?

malemotives

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 17.4
Still being new to golf, I used to worry, when getting a tee time, as a loner or with a friend, about being paired with golfers who are far superior and forcing my game trying to match them. Boy am I glad I was able to discard that little nick in the ego. For the most part, wherever I have played, the golfers in the group have always been a little better, a little worse or the same. Every now and then... like today, one of the foursome was much better. That didn't bother me and in fact, I think I learned from watching him. When he hit a huge draw into the forest to the left of #16, it showed that even the good players are human. Just sayin'. :)

I used to hate playing with people I didn't know. Now it doesn't bother me at all, and to be honest if I can play with better players I will, I have learned quite a bit from playing with scratch or better golfers.

Most of the people I play with are good people that I would look forward to playing with again. You get the occasional doosh, but that is the world we live in.

No matter who I play with I always play my game. I like playing with guys who are much better than because it's fun to watch such good golf be played, but at the end of the day if I'm getting out drove by a lot or they're making birdies I still know my game is to try and par the course to death and let the birdies come as they may!

I love to golf with better players. Whether its attitude, temperament, course management, or even something as simple as stealing some (or all) of their pre-shot routine, there is always something you can pick up from them.

Plus, I always seem to play better when paired up with better players. Focus, motivation, not trying to embarrass myself...pick one.

I love to golf with better players. Whether its attitude, temperament, course management, or even something as simple as stealing some (or all) of their pre-shot routine, there is always something you can pick up from them.

Plus, I always seem to play better when paired up with better players. Focus, motivation, not trying to embarrass myself...pick one.

Agree with this completely. Love playing with people that are better than me. I hope to pick up something from them that might help my game and also challenge me to be better than what I am now.

Play with new people, play with people better than you, play with those worse than you. Always a great way to learn more about your game and the game in general.

This usually doesn't bother me, except for yesterday... I had the day off, and purposely made a mid-morning tee time that would put me by myself. It was the first time I played this course right by my house. I haven't played much this spring, especially the last 2 weeks so I wanted to warm up a bit, walk the course, take my time and work on a few things.

Sure enough, I am barely out of the car and the starter is telling me that I'm being paired up with a threesome. The guys were nice enough, but I was barely ready to hit the range, let alone tee off. I grudgingly followed the starters wishes and teed off with the guys. I was terrible, went 7,8,7 on the first three holes. I could tell they were getting frustrated waiting for me to walk (they were riding) the very hilly rural course.
It soon became evident that there was NOBODY behind us... (Why the hurry Mr. Starter?) We finished up the 3rd hole and I told them I would not be offended at all if they wanted to play ahead. They jumped on the offer and went about their merry way... I chipped and putted at the 3rd hole for 10 minutes or so, and then carried on my round. I settled right down and par'd the next 2 holes. Funny how those things work out sometimes.

For me its always easy to get paired with someone better ... I have met some really nice folks just walking on ... occasional you get in a group that would just as soon you not be there, but not very often.

Oddly I do not like playing alone that much ...

I used to worry about playing with better players, and even apologized to one (a scratch golfer) after I played poorly. He told me to never apologize again, we all have our different skill level on the course, it's just a game, and the most important thing was I was a fun guy to play with and he had a great time.

after that I've been paired with many different people outside my home course. I have a bunch of guys I like playing with when I leave my home course, all between scratch and 10 handicap. Even though they're 10-20 strokes better, we all have a great time and enjoy playing with each other.

Moral: don't worry about being paired with better players, just be a good person, be friendly, and have fun and they won't care.

I travel and play with many different people and skill levels. It is funny how some will apologize for being new or playing poorly--and this is regardless of how I am playing since I can top a drive or shank a shot now and then too. I always try to put anyone at ease and just enjoy the round.

I love playing with new people. I look at it as a business connection. I nearly always ask for their card so I can give them mine!

I like playing with people I don't know. I regard it as a chance to see the course differently. One, because people have different shot shapes and strategies, and two, because people are different. In addition, having something usually not golf-related to talk about is nice, since where I live now isn't a place a lot of people are from natively.

Im also a huge fan of playing with new people. 90 percentnof the time it ends up being a blast. Meeting new people and just seeing how some many people from different points kn l9ve all have a passion for the same game.

yeah i used to be worried, but 99% of the better players i've played with have been very accommodating to my game. They only got that good because of early struggles. As long as pace of play isn't an issue, i'm fine with it. The only thing that really bothers me is when the pair carts and walkers together...and that's just a pace of play issue. And when i say "really bothers" i mean slight nuisance.

I don't get out much, but my experience has been like yours. Sometimes they are a little better, sometimes a little worse, sometimes A LOT better. If you consider that most people are average (which is kind of the point of being average), then it stands to reason that the 'much better' player plays with a lot of average golfer. As a result, every player I've been with who was just leaps and bounds better than the rest of the group has always been real laid back, never showing frustration, helping look for balls (lost by us average people). Truthfully, it seems like they just quietly go about getting pars and birdies while I'm getting Bogeys and Pars.

So no, anymore, it doesn't really bother me or effect me at all.

~Rock

I love to play with lower handicap players. I try to really watch their cost management and their shot selections. I pay my game though

You take take away so much from playing with low handicap players. Its cool to hear the sound of there well struck shots. It's just different

I love playing with new guys. That said I am not the most outgoing with people I don't know/large social settings so it will usually take me a good bunch of holes to feel the people out and get a good conversation going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

98% of the time people who are willing to play a round with a stranger are going to be fun to play with. Regardless of ability level.

Although I really enjoy playing with better golfers, skill level has never been that important to me when playing with strangers. I value how the person acts, starting with introductions, how they act on the course, friendliness, golf etiquette, attitude, etc., as being far more important than talent. And I find that is what makes joining a group of strangers much more comfortable.

Golfers are golfers, and hopefully we share the same passion for this game, regardless of skill level, and strive to make members of our foursome feel comfortable playing the game.

Rarely have I gotten paired up with people better than me...and I'm not that good at all. I never play well with strangers. I remember a time not long ago I shot 39 or something on the front and then someone joined us on the back. I instantly became terrible, probably shot mid 40's on the back. I'm self-conscious about my game (I feel I should be much better than I am considering the amount of work I've put in the last few years) and knowing that strangers are watching my every swing, drives me crazy.

I love getting paired up with new people if I'm alone. High handicapper or low, it's nice to have conversation between shots.

Mismatched pairs / foursomes....?

I enjoy teeing it up with new people regardless of their ability as long as they have fun.

You take take away so much from playing with low handicap players. Its cool to hear the sound of there well struck shots. It's just different

Watching the way a low capper attacks or doesn't attack the course is awesome.

Agreed the sound coming from ball club contact and the ball ripping through the air is sensational.

Doesn't matter to me who I get paired with as long as they're not a @$$...

Oh and don't step in my line, had a guy who was a nice enough guy but relative beginner play in our group last weekend and he had no idea of etiquette, that would annoy me. Sorry for the detour...

Playing as a single a majority of the time I've grown to accept that I may get paired up with others. The best thing to keep in mind is to think of it as no different as a normal day out on the course with friends.

Back