Mission to Improve - Home Sim or ?

TheHeez

Reaction score
Handicap
Here’s my situation…In the past I was able to practice multiple times a week and play 2-4 rounds per month. Now with a 4 year old and an accelerating career, I don’t have the time I once did. Most of my golf this year has been at my club’s tournaments and perhaps a range session a few days before. Needless to say my game has not been very good.

I’m tired of mediocre golf and in the past I would get a few lessons and work on my game at the range. Due to time constraints, I’m thinking of taking a different approach and have an extra space in my garage that I could build out a hitting bay and perhaps eventually a full blown sim.

So my question is…how well does indoor practice translate to the course? I like the idea of being able to pop into the garage and work on the game when I have a free moment. What do you guys think? Should I try to carve out time for lessons and traditional practice? Or should I start chipping away and building something at home?

Following.

And considering I don’t have an indoor training centre for golf, everything I’ve heard/read is at least second hand. That said, if the sim is good, I’d think the results should translate to the course. At least, that’s my hope and goal in eventually building something for myself.

Here’s my situation…In the past I was able to practice multiple times a week and play 2-4 rounds per month. Now with a 4 year old and an accelerating career, I don’t have the time I once did. Most of my golf this year has been at my club’s tournaments and perhaps a range session a few days before. Needless to say my game has not been very good.

I’m tired of mediocre golf and in the past I would get a few lessons and work on my game at the range. Due to time constraints, I’m thinking of taking a different approach and have an extra space in my garage that I could build out a hitting bay and perhaps eventually a full blown sim.

So my question is…how well does indoor practice translate to the course? I like the idea of being able to pop into the garage and work on the game when I have a free moment. What do you guys think? Should I try to carve out time for lessons and traditional practice? Or should I start chipping away and building something at home?
I have this exact setup in my garage. I'm pretty much in the exact situation as you. 4 year old.....yep, demanding career......yes. limited time.......for sure, I work nights, sleep all day. Training for the event of a lifetime is a difficult task.

So for me I setup a garage hitting bay. I can play irons only, but it has allowed me to continue working on my swing when there are time constraints. It was nothing for me to come home at 4am, pick up a 7i, and hit 20 to 25 balls, go to bed, get up, spend time with family, go to work and repeat. And look my setup is average at best. I use swing caddy to track shots, it's not accurate but I still use it. If you have the room you should be able to setup something for your needs.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1620314247144.jpg
    FB_IMG_1620314247144.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 19
I went from an 18 down to a 10 by playing a lot of indoor golf year round. At my old job, we had a simulator at the office, so we would be in there playing at lunch. Just working on my swing the whole year helped me a ton. I wouldn't swing indoors without a launch monitor to get the feedback you need to improve.

It’s huge!! I got a SkyTrak early last year and it dramatically improved my on-course play. That said, it won’t help chipping and putting and I can’t swing driver in my garage… but I definitely benefited from the indoor practice. That being said, I would have benefited more from getting a membership and lesson package at the local sim place, but I wanted an at-home setup so that’s the direction I went.

I use my backyard / soon to be in the garage net all the time. Even without a simulator or launch monitor it helps me to keep my game sharper. Sure, a real driving range, hitting off real turf would be better, but you do what you can.

A home sim can be a great asset but I feel it is only as useful as the lessons you have to give you drills etc to work on

I would never use it as a tool to work on swing changes unless I have had lessons and completely understand the feel that an instructor is trying to get across, otherwise you are just hitting balls

I think all methods of practice are good. It just depends on what works for you and what you are working on. I have a hitting bay in my basement that I use, mostly in the winter. Lately I have been struggling with sand shots, I'm fortunate to live on a lake with a nice sandy beach, so I go down to the beach in the morning before anyone else is there and practice sand shots which really helps.

So far I went cheap, because I am well cheap and have the Garmin R10 and net/screen with with projector. And it has helped. The Garmin has mixed reviews but most have found it good for the price and I have found it good. I have taken it to the range and it is usually right on.

I hope it helps me improve and hopefully over the winter I can get out to the garage not freeze and get in some much needed practice and training

not indoor but rather in driveway hitting birdie balls about 40 yards. has helped me greatly and I have figured out why I think

1- can do it every day. OK to just hit 12 balls, in fact if I'm warmed up why would I need to hit another 40

2- I'm not trying to hit a ball a certain distance. Simply trying to put a good stroke on the ball. the birdie shows me height, direction and spin but not an actual distance.

I put a sim enclosure for my Mevo Plus in the garage and it’s been great just to keep the swing grooved. I hit golf balls either at the course or in the sim at least 5 days a week, that’s the big benefit for me

Back