Mitsubishi Chemical MMT Iron Shafts

Awww yeah! Course bound TODAY for the debut!

No launch monitor data to start, just me, the setup, and about 100 golf balls to work through. I hope to get some thoughts up this evening!

Did I miss what heads these are going in?

As someone who uses Recoils right now.. I am very interested to see what you think about the feel in comparison, as I believe you have some experience with the Recoils as well.

Did I miss what heads these are going in?

As someone who uses Recoils right now.. I am very interested to see what you think about the feel in comparison, as I believe you have some experience with the Recoils as well.
The new Cobra Forged Tec! 5-PW there, also the 4i shaft into the Cobra F9 head!

The new Cobra Forged Tec! 5-PW there, also the 4i shaft into the Cobra F9 head!

Sounds like a deadly combo. Those irons are beautiful!

But back to the shafts... excited to hear your thoughts.

Very interested in your results James, having experimented quite a bit it is always nice to read your thoughts.

Well, I am initially impressed, and that’s with me TRYING to be more on the pessimistic side to start.

Coming from AMT White in the Cobras to these, I expected wholesale flight changes and I’ve not seen that so far. As mentioned earlier, no data yet, but, the flight on decently struck shots has to be in the 31+ yard peak range, including on the 5i which is a good thing for me to see. Distance is similar to what I was seeing and the weather this time of year makes it hard to gauge, but I think the launch monitor will help there next week.

Bigger story for most, or bigger question rather, will undoubtedly be the feel. Interestingly, the graphite from the first shot on made a notable difference in the feedback I’m getting from the Cobra Forged Tec which are on the sharp/harsh side to start with. There’s a languid sort of flow through the loading and unloading of the swing with them that I’m trying to put my finger on how to truly describe it still.

Early indications? No glaring weaknesses, and I’m definitely not overpowering the 105S like I thought I might.

Aaaaaaaaalrighty then!

More swings under my belt, and some more thoughts.

First though I want to go BACKWARDS to go FORWARDS on these.

Build for this Review:

I didn't talk about my build process/experience enough with these, and there are some interesting things that went on there, in my opinion at least.

As those who have followed thusfar know, I installed these into my new set of Cobra Forged Tec irons, 5-PW. I didn't install into the GW because the shaft set for review is 3-P and during a review I don't want to do any stepping to make them fit my set. I did however un-install my AD-DI hybrid shaft that is in my Cobra F9 5i and put the 4i shaft into it since that is the spot I play the iron as anyway. So yes, 5, 5-PW. I know that will kill some inside, but its what is poppin' right now in my bag! :cool:

Now, to my point with this. The big tech point in the MMT iron shafts is the metal mesh int he tip section, and as @Canadan noted in one of my early pics, there is some beef in that section of the iron shafts. I myself was curious as to how the irons would build out as with some of the graphite shafts on the market it is a chore to get them up to the swing weight I have been fit to and prefer in my irons (D5). Compound this with the fact that the only grips I had left in my building supplies were mid-sized UTx Cords...and I was concerned.

So what did they swing weight out to when paired with the mid-sized grips, cut to play +1/4 which I'm fit to, and with some super slick BB&F ferrules? D5 across the board. Well, D5.2 for those who want to be super precise. While that makes me a very happy reviewer, it might draw some "woahhhhhhhs" from some of you. Had I put standard sized grips on these, they would have been crazy head heavy. Something to keep an eye on.

Performance and Feel:

To the nuts and bolts, I want to start on the feel since I just talked about the SW and them being on the head heavy side. In hand you can just tell that these are all there into the tip section, and based on my time so far I will even go further to say that after hitting some golf balls I think they play what most out there will consider to be stout to flex. I have the 105S and they have been all there. What I'm most impressed with feel wise is how dang stable they are, to me that is the first litmus test that ALL graphite iron shafts must pass with golfers, right or wrong, and these get a pass there....easily. My biggest relief is they feel smoother/better than the OG Steelfiber which for me are just harsh and blah, but they're also not over-active. There is a lot the remind me of recoils in that the intent is to play like steel but with the benefits of graphite.

Now, performance? My GC2 sessions on the 6, 8, P will be done this week sometime as I have decided those are the three I'm going to use in the homepage review article. For now though, no LM data, just my wily old eye test.

What have I seen? A very mid-high ball flight, one that is actually more penetrating than I anticipated, but a lot of that is because I had literally no clue what to expect given no history with Mitsubishi Chemical iron shafts. Overall though even in the cold weather my flights and distances have been at least right on par with the X100 AMT White's that came installed in my Cobra Forged Tec. More than that, the consistency of the flight (when my swing isn't being dorky coming off this injury) is impressive. Seriously impressive and something that makes me want to see the data even more.

Current Quick Take:

Stoutish. Stable. Consistent. Surprising. Want to hit more, ASAP....and I will.

Good stuff James. Obviously results will be different for each user but I like hearing you're seeing a mid/high flight. That's about perfect for the wind conditions I play on so often.

Good stuff James. Obviously results will be different for each user but I like hearing you're seeing a mid/high flight. That's about perfect for the wind conditions I play on so often.
Yeah, definitely, and thats always the toughy when reviewing golf shafts.

Its also why I'm curious to see the LM data. Will tell us a lot more of the story I think!

@Jman I’m playing MMT in my irons and just put the 4 iron shaft in a Mizuno Hybrid the thing is lights out I’m following along love to hear your thoughts on these shafts

@Jman I’m playing MMT in my irons and just put the 4 iron shaft in a Mizuno Hybrid the thing is lights out I’m following along love to hear your thoughts on these shafts
Thank you! I'm eager to get the long iron/utility out with it and see how it goes in that spot. Early returns are positive, but MAN they are tip heavy.

@Jman great post! I love hearing that they feel stable!

Any initial comparisons to recoils?

@Jman great post! I love hearing that they feel stable!

Any initial comparisons to recoils?
Eh, its been hard to put a finger on how to word that so far. Stability is similar, but the weight toward the tip of these profile wise makes things feel different enough. I really need to get the temp up towards the end of this week so I can go get some solid numbers because that is going to be the big tell there for me. I will say, the dampening is nice here, which again makes me realize I probably do need to just go graphite for the rest of my life....and my elbows sakes.

Forgot to throw these up in here:

8E1EAEA4-A166-45A5-8136-A478A2363D5E.jpeg

9ECE9C45-3CBE-4EE6-A65E-F74E8EF12EF9.jpeg

3030C94B-5600-467C-8101-1B5EF9AC6911.jpeg

More on these this evening. Going to be 42 today, but, I'm still going to go hit golf balls. :oops:

What have I seen? A very mid-high ball flight, one that is actually more penetrating than I anticipated, but a lot of that is because I had literally no clue what to expect given no history with Mitsubishi Chemical iron shafts. Overall though even in the cold weather my flights and distances have been at least right on par with the X100 AMT White's that came installed in my Cobra Forged Tec.

If I remember correctly you're usually low launch/low spin correct?? or was that just with driver??

After fittings ive had and listening to Oly talk about graphite ive committed to graphite iron shafts and leaving steel behind. I found recoil prototypes launched way too high for me. I got fit in to SteelFiber FC but really wanted to hit the MMT, however CC did not have them in stock yet. I think what ive loved most about graphite shafts is being able to play lighter weights yet better dispersion

Lighter steel shafts ive typically ballooned and lost yardage. Lighter graphite ive actually increased ball speeds by as much as 7mph and 12 yards carry while adding spin which Ive needed

If I remember correctly you're usually low launch/low spin correct?? or was that just with driver??

After fittings ive had and listening to Oly talk about graphite ive committed to graphite iron shafts and leaving steel behind. I found recoil prototypes launched way too high for me. I got fit in to SteelFiber FC but really wanted to hit the MMT, however CC did not have them in stock yet. I think what ive loved most about graphite shafts is being able to play lighter weights yet better dispersion

Lighter steel shafts ive typically ballooned and lost yardage. Lighter graphite ive actually increased ball speeds by as much as 7mph and 12 yards carry while adding spin which Ive needed
Oh no, I've not been low launch for a bit, AoA was improved this year. People oft think that based on some of the data (especially on drivers) having LA's in the 11 degree range, but at my ball speed that isn't low. If you made me class it, I'd say mid launch, low spin.

James, by your descriptions these seem to be in the same vein (and price range) as the Fuji MCI Black with the steel wound tip and stiff to flex feel. Did you notice if they are progressively weighted?

Maybe it was mentioned and i missed it, Will P also mentioned how easy it was to SW the MCI black so there must be something good to the design for custom building. Looking forward to more on Course thoughts from you.

James, by your descriptions these seem to be in the same vein (and price range) as the Fuji MCI Black with the steel wound tip and stiff to flex feel. Did you notice if they are progressively weighted?

Maybe it was mentioned and i missed it, Will P also mentioned how easy it was to SW the MCI black so there must be something good to the design for custom building. Looking forward to more on Course thoughts from you.
They’re constant weight in their raw and uncut state. For the 105’s I have that is on the nose 105g, pre build they all weighed in within 1-2 tenths of being on the nose.

I'm following along here as a longtime graphite player. I've recently moved to steel (Elevate Tours) and I am not hurting so I can chalk it up to the VSS. I'm curious over time how these play in relation to the SteelFibers bc those absolutely wrecked my shoulders.

I'm following along here as a longtime graphite player. I've recently moved to steel (Elevate Tours) and I am not hurting so I can chalk it up to the VSS. I'm curious over time how these play in relation to the SteelFibers bc those absolutely wrecked my shoulders.
Thus far, I wouldn’t even put them in the same conversation. Massive compliment to the MMT there.

They’re constant weight in their raw and uncut state. For the 105’s I have that is on the nose 105g, pre build they all weighed in within 1-2 tenths of being on the nose.

If they feel like the MCI Black I am going to be so disappointed. The MCI Black to me felt like a fart that was stuck.

If they feel like the MCI Black I am going to be so disappointed. The MCI Black to me felt like a fart that was stuck.
Hahahahahaha, the experience for me so far has been much more towards the recoil type feel. None of that rigidity I got the few times I hit the MCI’s.

Hahahahahaha, the experience for me so far has been much more towards the recoil type feel. None of that rigidity I got the few times I hit the MCI’s.
I went from Recoils, the MMT tightened up dispersion, the recoils are awesome too I just fit better in the MMT

Back