Mitsubishi Chemical MMT Iron Shafts

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
Thought I would get this thread up a little ahead of the game since I think it should definitely draw some eyeballs.

Coming in for a full homepage review are the new MMT iron shafts from Mitsubishi Chemical and I must say, I am pretty geeked that they sent them in for review.

What is MMT you may be saying? It means "Metal Mesh Technology" and oh yeah, it started from research/ideas in their archery division. Essentially, a metal mesh that is made up of 304 stainless steel strands is applied in the lower/tip section of the shafts. Why? More stability there while also allowing for thinner wall construction. They're available in non-taper and taper tip, with each having its own flight/spin range, mid/mid and mid-low/mid-low respectively. Also, weight ranges from 48g-98g in the non-taper and 59g to 125g in the TT version.

I should have these in hand today to get my pics done this evening and then begin the install process. I'm not sure what heads they will be going in just yet, that will depend a lot on the specs of what comes in for the review. Rest assured though I'll keep everyone in the loop!

Here is the blurb from MCA on their website about the MMT shafts:

"Designed to maximize the benefits of both composite and steel performance, our patent pending Metal Mesh Technology represents the very best of the Mitsubishi end-to-end manufacturing approach. As layers of prepreg are stacked to build the shaft’s core, a small section of unique Metal Mesh is integrated towards the tip. This Metal Mesh – made up of individually braided strands of 304 Stainless Steel – improves the density and stability of the shaft, while also allowing for thinner overall composite wall construction. Together this yields a finely tuned, highly responsive shaft that still provides the consistent launch and spin control needed for effective iron play."

My in-hand pictures will come hopefully this evening in the reserved post below this one.

a791fac9107a026499e0a3a6dd84737f.jpg

Last edited:
  • Staff
Reserved for in-hand pics.

These sound really interesting. Shaft technology just seems to be getting better and better. I am looking forward to hearing what you think!!

Oh I'm looking forward to this

• Staff
Cool that these came from the Archery Division. All of the overlap in shafts from other sports is really cool. Glad it can benefit us golfers.

@Jaymo37 would be very intrigued by this tech.

I don’t think the profile low/low would fit me in the non, but cool that weight can fit almost the entire spectrum.

i also like the graphics and color of the shafts.

• Staff
Cool that these came from the Archery Division. All of the overlap in shafts from other sports is really cool. Glad it can benefit us golfers.

@Jaymo37 would be very intrigued by this tech.

I don’t think the profile low/low would fit me in the non, but cool that weight can fit almost the entire spectrum.

i also like the graphics and color of the shafts.
The non are mid/mid

I have been drooling over these for a long time. Can't wait to read some JMan reviews about them!

NIce. The TXG youtube channel just did a review on these as well. It looks like an awesome shaft.

I'm really looking forward to this. I've been playing Mitsubishi shafts in my driver and woods the past few years, I'm excited to see what they have to offer with these.

Cool idea, I will be interested to see what you have to say about them!

I have been drooling over these for a long time. Can't wait to read some JMan reviews about them!
I've been known to write a little. :p:p(y)

I will be all over this review. I've wanted to know more about these since I've heard about them (y)

Thought I would get this thread up a little ahead of the game since I think it should definitely draw some eyeballs.

Eyeballs drawn...

I saw some info on these a while back. Very interesting. I have not really gotten into graphite yet. But, with a host of aging and some past injuries, I am very interested in trying something that could help take a little stress off the body. What weight are you going to be testing?

They're sitting on the porch. Should I go get them on my lunch period?

So interested in what @Jman has to say about these. But candidly for me, I would have to see a really big performance gain in a fitting to swallow the cost of these shafts.

So interested in what @Jman has to say about these. But candidly for me, I would have to see a really big performance gain in a fitting to swallow the cost of these shafts.
I think that is totally fair. 75+ a shaft is a hefty sum.

Super intrigued to read more about these!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going to zip home at lunch and grab them. Quick and dirty pics to come this afternoon, better ones on the photo table this evening.

@Jman will you be installing these yourself? Or do you have a guy?

Damn, those are expensive, I agree with you, wouldn’t install these on a whim.

Heeeeeey

532BB5DC-352D-4CF8-B07F-3343DB8AD018.jpeg

are these the 125s?

Back