Mitsubishi Chemical MMT Iron Shafts

More time on the course today for those who are reading along ( I appreciate you!).

Going to be almost 60's on Friday so that looks to be my target "data day" on the GC2 with these.

Biggest, and most constant, takeaway for me so far is still the overall feel of the profile both in hand and in swing. Stable, but beefy, and absent the harshness of a SF or MCI. I really do think they play a little firm to flex too.

Good initial thoughts @Jman

These sound like they may be a good option for folks coming from heavier stouter steel over to graphite. Those Cobra's look real nice with that black shaft.

More time on the course today for those who are reading along ( I appreciate you!).

Going to be almost 60's on Friday so that looks to be my target "data day" on the GC2 with these.

Biggest, and most constant, takeaway for me so far is still the overall feel of the profile both in hand and in swing. Stable, but beefy, and absent the harshness of a SF or MCI. I really do think they play a little firm to flex too.

As someone who very much prefers stout, heavy shafts... This is good to hear.

I like stable and I really really like no harshness.

From what I gather, the MMT is supposed to be a graphite version of the Dynamic Gold profile. May explain some of the sensation through the swing and at impact.

From what I gather, the MMT is supposed to be a graphite version of the Dynamic Gold profile. May explain some of the sensation through the swing and at impact.
I don't know if I'm totally on board with that, I'll be more willing to jump in one way or the other there after I get to see spin numbers tomorrow, but right now flight is not the same as I see out of DG's.

Another day with these, no GC2, and I come back to the same thoughts. Consistent, stable as F, not harsh at all, and hefty.

Today I should at least get sessions with the 6/8 on the Foresight GC2 before I have to go get kids and take them to my gma's for dinner and to go visit their mom on call. I'm predicting some pretty solid data.

Another day with these, no GC2, and I come back to the same thoughts. Consistent, stable as F, not harsh at all, and hefty.

Today I should at least get sessions with the 6/8 on the Foresight GC2 before I have to go get kids and take them to my gma's for dinner and to go visit their mom on call. I'm predicting some pretty solid data.
Looking forward to seeing some numbers based on what you have been describing. One of the things that concerns me so far is the swing weight. I have been considering a switch to graphite this year and the 105g weight is one I am comfortable with but D5 seems heavy

Looking forward to seeing some numbers based on what you have been describing. One of the things that concerns me so far is the swing weight. I have been considering a switch to graphite this year and the 105g weight is one I am comfortable with but D5 seems heavy
Yeah, its an interesting thing, I've seen elsewhere where after install they hit D4 without any adjustments. So it seems to me its going to be in that realm, of course, iron headweight you are plugging them into matters there. I didn't weigh any of my Tec heads to be able to compare with other sets of heads I have sitting around.

Nice thing, its not hard to "fix" with a little weight on the back end (4g = 1 point), but also, I am playing these 1/4" long from standard, which should equate to 1.5 points, meaning at standard length they'd likely have hit D3.5

Yeah, its an interesting thing, I've seen elsewhere where after install they hit D4 without any adjustments. So it seems to me its going to be in that realm, of course, iron headweight you are plugging them into matters there. I didn't weigh any of my Tec heads to be able to compare with other sets of heads I have sitting around.

Nice thing, its not hard to "fix" with a little weight on the back end (4g = 1 point), but also, I am playing these 1/4" long from standard, which should equate to 1.5 points, meaning at standard length they'd likely have hit D3.5
It is an interesting thing...especially since stock steel at same weight comes in at D2 according to Cobra. Swing weight is not the end all be all just a curious thing.

With Forged Tecs high on my list of consideration for next season, I'm interested in the numbers from the ball flight your seeing as well

Concluded my testing on these today with a big ass launch monitor session on the Foresight GC2. Will now put my thoughts to paper this weekend for an article I hope everyone takes a look at, because I think the product deserves that.

With that said, I’m not sharing the whole data set until it goes up IN the article.

I will share this. Rounded and unedited averages, so they’ll shift a little for the article when I throw some shots out.

6: 193, 4200, 29y
8: 173, 5400, 30y
P: 148, 7400, 33y

Concluded my testing on these today with a big ass launch monitor session on the Foresight GC2. Will now put my thoughts to paper this weekend for an article I hope everyone takes a look at, because I think the product deserves that.

With that said, I’m not sharing the whole data set until it goes up IN the article.

I will share this. Rounded and unedited averages, so they’ll shift a little for the article when I throw some shots out.

6: 193, 4200, 29y
8: 173, 5400, 30y
P: 148, 7400, 33y
Interesting...spin a little on the low side.

Interesting...spin a little on the low side.
Eh. Considering the iron heads, not really. Descent angles all still good. Haven’t had any issues into greens. Peak averages at my ball speeds are pretty good too to be honest, 133 peak ball speed with a 6 is something, lol

Eh. Considering the iron heads, not really. Descent angles all still good. Haven’t had any issues into greens. Peak averages at my ball speeds are pretty good too to be honest, 133 peak ball speed with a 6 is something, lol
Gotcha I figured descent angles had to be pretty good with those numbers. 133 with a 6 :oops:

Gotcha I figured descent angles had to be pretty good with those numbers. 133 with a 6 :oops:
Yeah. I think it’s kinda the nature of the beast with irons like these, I’d rather them all be a little higher, but I was happy to see them stay really really playable.

The 133 thing made me chortle, mainly because I’ve not had a whole lot of golf with the dinged up wing. That said it was still only 52 degrees outside today :oops:

Solid numbers there. I’m looking forward to the review

Solid numbers there. I’m looking forward to the review
I hope you get to hit them sometime. The feel is quite good the more I hit them, I’m totally on board with them running a little stout though.

Really good stuff James, and happy birthday. could you throw up a picture or two say with the APEX 19 pro or if you still have the Miura's just to get a size perspective. I know this is about the shafts, but those heads have my interest also.

These shafts are very interesting and maybe could be the next build, you say a bit stout to flex or just profile wise? I am finding the MCI black to be very confusing, some swings I can feel them and they launch nice and high and others not a bit. Obviously it is the swing not being grooved and maybe a bit of casting going on, but it is all I got to work with.

Really good stuff James, and happy birthday. could you throw up a picture or two say with the APEX 19 pro or if you still have the Miura's just to get a size perspective. I know this is about the shafts, but those heads have my interest also.

These shafts are very interesting and maybe could be the next build, you say a bit stout to flex or just profile wise? I am finding the MCI black to be very confusing, some swings I can feel them and they launch nice and high and others not a bit. Obviously it is the swing not being grooved and maybe a bit of casting going on, but it is all I got to work with.
Sure thing, once I get the twins down for naps I’ll snap a couple for you and put them in the Tec thread! Happy to help!

Stout to flex, I don’t have to work to load them, but, as a guy fit into X in the irons all the time these have held up and not skipped a beat, which I was obviously curious about entering the review.

The MCI are interesting, I had A-HA moments, and a lot of, that doesn’t make sense, moments. I do think genuinely, bottom of my heart, Mitsubishi is onto something here.

Recoil comparisons?
More head heavy feel, but I’ve always struggled to get Recoils up to my swing weight. I’d also say these are a little less “active” in terms of really feeling that load. Biggest thing for me is dispersion here has shined through and it reminds me a lot of recoils on that note.

Reading along, lurking, digging the updates so far. Looking forward to the article ?

Reading along, lurking, digging the updates so far. Looking forward to the article ?
Should be soon. Plague delayed me getting it in early this week, but it'll be over to editor GG very soon!

More head heavy feel, but I’ve always struggled to get Recoils up to my swing weight. I’d also say these are a little less “active” in terms of really feeling that load. Biggest thing for me is dispersion here has shined through and it reminds me a lot of recoils on that note.
Well that’s intriguing. Enjoyed catching up on your feedback. ?

Back