Miura CB-301 vs PP90003

Mabuckeye

Reaction score
It seems that the CB-301 is somewhat loosely similar to the PP9003 irons. Does anyone have any real world experience from a performance standpoint - launch, distance, forgiveness, etc?

Thanks in advance....

No, but I owned the original 301 and 9003 - 9003 are more forgiving and higher flight, more offset.

How do the 9003’s compare to your JPX irons?

How do the 9003’s compare to your JPX irons?

The Miura is forgiving for a Miura forging. But the 919 HMP are much more forgiving and much longer wiiht less offset. No, they don't have the feel of a Miura - different design, different materials, but the ball rockets off the HMP. I find the 919F slightly more forgiving and longer than the Miura. The feel is very good wiith the 919F but the 919F has a smidgeon of boron, which allows it to last longer - after almoost 2 yrs, no nicks, not much wear. Remember, the 9003 design (not straight necks) is at least 9 yr old. The straight necks with less offset came out about 2 yrs later.

I think if you want the feel of a true Miura, I'd pony up for a used set of blades or small CB just to play for fun ... but for me, if I want a score, I need help and distance.

The JPX 919 are on sale - if I was recommending a playable, forgiving, modern set, I'd get the HMP or 919F, or a combo of both if you are a 5-14 capper and can hit your irons decently. I am playing the 4-5 in HMP, and the 919F in 6-PW and the MP T20 in 48, 54, 58.

Thanks so much. The pricing on the 919s is awesome right now. And while I’d love a set of Miuras, what you advised is what I needed to hear. Hit ‘em straight!!!

The Miura is forgiving for a Miura forging. But the 919 HMP are much more forgiving and much longer wiiht less offset. No, they don't have the feel of a Miura - different design, different materials, but the ball rockets off the HMP. I find the 919F slightly more forgiving and longer than the Miura. The feel is very good wiith the 919F but the 919F has a smidgeon of boron, which allows it to last longer - after almoost 2 yrs, no nicks, not much wear. Remember, the 9003 design (not straight necks) is at least 9 yr old. The straight necks with less offset came out about 2 yrs later.

I think if you want the feel of a true Miura, I'd pony up for a used set of blades or small CB just to play for fun ... but for me, if I want a score, I need help and distance.

The JPX 919 are on sale - if I was recommending a playable, forgiving, modern set, I'd get the HMP or 919F, or a combo of both if you are a 5-14 capper and can hit your irons decently. I am playing the 4-5 in HMP, and the 919F in 6-PW and the MP T20 in 48, 54, 58.

Dang, I hate when someone comes along and makes perfect sense. Especially when you're preparing to drop a bunch of money on a set of Miura's.

I've owned about 4 sets of Miuras over 25 yrs. I was only in love with the CB-201 because of the feel - but the 8-PW did not look good in comparisoon to the 4-7i and a lot of people complained of the grind - but they had a unique feel.

As you know, no perfect iron. The Mizuno 919F could use a better grind so don't hit'em fat off moist turf. I also ordered HMP in Recoil 95 in 4-7i. I may hurry and order the 8-PW - distance, very little offset, forgiveness, wide enough sole to give you bounce. and I get a nice height. The 919F feel better, more workable and I really like them --- For feel, you feel nothing with the HMP because with the Chromolly it just rockets off the face. I like them, too. That's why I usually combo them, but may go to a winter set in HMP for distance.

In last 1.5 years, I've bought Mizuno Irons/Wedges - tough to beat the value and performance, and I like the satin finish.

Last edited:
I've owned about 4 sets of Miuras over 25 yrs. I was only in love with the CB-201 because of the feel - but the 8-PW did not look good in comparisoon to the 4-7i and a lot of people complained of the grind - but they had a unique feel.

As you know, no perfect iron. The Mizuno 919F could use a better grind so don't hit'em fat off moist turf. I also ordered HMP in Recoil 95 in 4-7i. I may hurry and order the 8-PW - distance, very little offset, forgiveness, wide enough sole to give you bounce. and I get a nice height. The 919F feel better, more workable and I really like them --- For feel, you feel nothing with the HMP because with the Chromolly it just rockets off the face. I like them, too. That's why I usually combo them, but may go to a winter set in HMP for distance.

In last 1.5 years, I've bought Mizuno Irons/Wedges - tough to beat the value and performance, and I like the satin finish.

I just did a fitting and wanted to love the HMBs but I just got better performance from the Callaway Apex. The 919 forged felt great but I just didn’t get the distance I was looking for out of them.

I just did a fitting and wanted to love the HMBs but I just got better performance from the Callaway Apex. The 919 forged felt great but I just didn’t get the distance I was looking for out of them.

I am playing the easier iron, the HMP - Hot Metal Pros.

HMB is a whole 'nother animal. Glad you like the Apex.

I've found distance depends on a good head/shaft combo.

919F cuts the face thinner in the 4-7i by going through the sole and keeps 8-PW more of a scoring iron for consistency - less jumpy in 8-PW.

Back