Mixed wedge set up?

JDax

The Finley Cooler
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 12.1
As some of you know, I have been testing the Ben Hogan Equalizer Wedges for the last 2 months. Last week, I put the Cleveland RTX-4 wedges back in the bag for a couple of rounds, before I write my review.

I've found something odd, I prefer the Hogan 54 degree v. the Cleveland 54 degree, however I prefer the Cleveland 58 degree over the Hogan 58 degree.
This weekend, I'm going to play a mixed set (Hogan 54 & Cleveland 58). I hope that my OCD allows it. What do y'all think, could you play a mixed set of wedges?

Right now I'm hi-toe 60 and a variety of other wedges in at 56. I prefer matching, but I'm ok with it.

I played an older Taylormade 58*, but Cleveland rtx-3 50 and 54. Since I use each club for such different situations, it's difficult to notice a difference.

I have and still do. Have MD2 52 and 56. I rotate an MD3 60 and an old Vokey 64 degree in and out of my bag. But, the OCD can be hard to overcome. I wish you luck good sir.

What do you like better about the 54 Equalizer and the 58 RTX?

I've done it, but don't care for it. It honestly brings doubt for some reason into my head more and makes me over think going between wedges. I also just simply hate looking at it in my bag.

I could but honestly likely never will. I don't buy a new 54 and 58 set until the previous wedges I was using are worn out and have always bought matching wedges.

Another example of playing what works for you. I do get the OCD thing of them not matching though and not sure I could do it.

Back in the day, that was my normal setup to use unmatched wedges. High bounce, heavy sole SW for bunker shots and heavy greenside rough and a small sole, low bounce SW for tight lies on any shot from 100 yds in. An exception would be bunkers that are hard packed, then I'd use the low bounce, small sole SW. This worked great for me and was pre-LW days. I was comfortable laying the face open and opening my stance when the lie allowed and the shot dictated.

Right now, I have CBX 2 in 54 & 58, Cleveland 488 and 588's in 54, 56, 60 and Mizuno NF-56 & 60 wedges I'm still testing to see what I want to play. The latter ones are from my old playing days. If I do my part correctly, I'm not seeing that the CBX 2's add anything special at the moment. It comes down to proper shot making, technique and ball striking on my end.

As some of you know, I have been testing the Ben Hogan Equalizer Wedges for the last 2 months. Last week, I put the Cleveland RTX-4 wedges back in the bag for a couple of rounds, before I write my review.

I've found something odd, I prefer the Hogan 54 degree v. the Cleveland 54 degree, however I prefer the Cleveland 58 degree over the Hogan 58 degree.
This weekend, I'm going to play a mixed set (Hogan 54 & Cleveland 58). I hope that my OCD allows it. What do y'all think, could you play a mixed set of wedges?

I'd like to say yes but my brain suffers from the same affliction.

Personally I would t have any issue with it, I done so in the past. Whatever works right?

Play what works - if you can handle it and it gives you the performance you desire go for it

played a mixed set a while back it was glorious

What do you like better about the 54 Equalizer and the 58 RTX?

My Cleveland Set up is:
RTX-4 54 (2 Dot)
RTX-4 58 (1 Dot)

The Hogan 54 has a wider sole which I prefer on fuller shots and out of thicker rough. The RTX-4 54 wasn’t offered in a 3 Dot (which was a miss).

The Hogan 58 isn’t as versatile with opening the face as the Cleveland. And the Cleveland is way better out of bunkers in my testing.

RTX3, RTX4, MD7, Jaws is my current wedge setup, so yeah.

Should you be experimenting the day of your big game this week?

I cured my own wedge OCD in a similar way years back. Testing one set vs another, preferring one or more from each. So now, it doesn't affect me as I'll grab a different brand wedge for testing with semi-regularity.

This season, I don't ever remember the same. Closest was within the same brand and family of wedges, yet they're completely different in design save for cosmetics (Fourteen RM-22 and RM-22J). Others were Callaway and Ping.

Right now, mixed finishes included:

AW: 46° RM-22J (satin chrome, fills huge gap between PW and GW)

GW: 52° RM-22 (black)

SW: 56° PM Grind (black)

LW: 60° PM Grind (satin chrome)

I've done it but it has been years ago. I've had matched wedges since the Cleveland 900s I bought somewhere around 2001-02.

I could do it now with a RTX 3 and a PM Grind but not sure I will because the PMs hate me.

0 issues with it at all—- if it works it works right?

I can’t remember the last time I had all matching. They are tools for different uses to me, rather than tools to hit a gap.

This drives me crazy but I am currently playing 2 different OEMs 54* is Cobra and 58* is Callaway

Back