Miyazaki B. Asha Shafts - Everything You Want To Know

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
ITR is back with an all new episode this week as we talk with Miyazaki about shaft technology with a focus on their latest launch, the coming soon B. Asha lineup.

This Episode Features:
Where did the name and artwork come from?
How does this line fit into the Miyazaki lineup of products?
There are 3 lines (3,4,5) & what are the differences?
Consistency in shafts across weights and why it matters.
Are “made for” shafts bad quality?
And much much more.

http://bit.ly/PcuaJ6

New and improved C. Kua line in the drivers...

That should be awesome

Still listening

Things I Iove....
-Taking artwork & naming rights of people who submit artwork
-Not releasing new lines if no REAL improvements are implemented
-Same flex profiles for diff weights
-A thorough answer about OEM "made for" shafts
-B Asha shafts on the Tour Van

(not a fan of the specific Cleveland design when it includes the B Asha in their 2013 line, and having to upgrade to get the original B Ashas)

One of the better radio chats with an OEM, it sounded like a chat between 2 friends rather than an interview. Great job JB & Tim

Thanks to Tim with Miyazaki shafts for being on the show!

Disney animator was the motivation for the new shaft line name....very interesting. So, this will eventually replace the C. Kua series for the drivers- you can definitely tell that Miyazaki has done their homework with this new line.

Not surprised that they are going even lighter, that is definitely the trend these days and it sounds like the early tour results are quite impressive.

Lots of very good discussion about the flex and performance differentials between the various weights.

Enjoyed the discussion about the "made for" shafts, very good info.

Crazy impressive that other than the guys on tour, the THP van will be the first to have this shaft in hand - THP'ers that make it to a tour van stop are in for a treat!!

Pretty excited to be listening to this radio show. I find it fascinating to hear about the origin of the shaft, as well as to hear Mr. Gillis' description about the coloring and finish. SOunds like the finish is similar to that speedcoat stuff.

That was a huge curve ball at the end. I was expecting a Cleveland Classic 2 with all B Asha's utilized since it was taking over the C. Kua line.

Great shaft education for those of us that need it.

I also think having something with a smaller circumference butt end will be appealing. Much easier to regrip, LOL

I also think having something with a smaller circumference butt end will be appealing. Much easier to regrip, LOL

Is that why my Mashie FW seems thicking to hold onto than the rest of my clubs ?

Is that why my Mashie FW seems thicking to hold onto than the rest of my clubs ?

Maybe. THe butt end of the grip will be larger than most anything you compare it to.

Maybe. THe butt end of the grip will be larger than most anything you compare it to.

Thicker*, thanks TC. It feels built up after I had it reqripped.

This was awesome! Coming from a guy who knows next to nothing about shafts I really enjoyed the show.

I like how they pick the name of the shaft via an artwork contest and I also really like how the 3,4, and 5 will be easier to understand than their previous weighting system.

Excited to hopefully try the B Asha in Des Moines

I think a lot about this line just makes sense. That speed coating or whatever Miyazaki calls it, flat out works.

Listening to the show right now and I am excited for you guys to be able to hit this at the Tour Van Demo Days...and sad that I have to miss Saturday in AC...

The 3,4,5 seems to be a simpler way of categorizing these shafts.

Great show.

Like I said, Colsaerts uses one so I must have it.

So I heard correctly that Cleveland will not offer stock Miyazaki's throughout their driver lineup? A "made for" B. Asha will be offered in one line and then upgrades will be available?

So I heard correctly that Cleveland will not offer stock Miyazaki's throughout their driver lineup? A "made for" B. Asha will be offered in one line and then upgrades will be available?

Thats how I heard it too, surprising to me to say the least.

I don't understand Cleveland's connection with Miyazaki, I reckon.

Yes. That is correct. However I would bet dollars to donuts that the "made for" B. Asha is more of a look change than a shaft change.

I don't understand Cleveland's connection with Miyazaki, I reckon.

They are both owned by SRI. Similar to the way any major company has an umbrella with many other brands under it.

Yes. That is correct. However I would bet dollars to donuts that the "made for" B. Asha is more of a look change than a shaft change.

Who is this a knock on JB, Miyazaki or Cleveland?

I mean Cleveland is putting out some great stuff but within a few months they are knocking it down 1/2 price. Great for us, but not so much for them. From what you have said the Classic driver has been a massive hit for them. Can they not sustain this kind of practice, especially with a premium shaft in all of their products such as Miyazaki?

Who is this a knock on JB, Miyazaki or Cleveland?

I mean Cleveland is putting out some great stuff but within a few months they are knocking it down 1/2 price. Great for us, but not so much for them. From what you have said the Classic driver has been a massive hit for them. Can they not sustain this kind of practice, especially with a premium shaft in all of their products such as Miyazaki?

I dont think its a knock on anybody necessarily. Like many of the companies in the golf industry, Cleveland has release schedules. A fall release and a spring release (larger). Last year we saw the Fall release with the Black line and the Spring release brought the 588 line and the Classic driver. As we move closer to fall, the previous line gets reduced in price.

As for the Miyazaki connection, in my opinion it has less to do with price and more to do with the aftermarket shaft business. Some would say that Miyazaki from a quality standpoint produces the highest quality shafts in the world. Having them as a standard offering leaves little aftermarket business in their origin country.

That was an excellent listen. I could probably listen to it about 5 more times and pick up new info each time I heard it. Really gave me quite an education regarding shafts, flexes and stiffness.

So, it seems that with Clevelands next launch, there will be an option of 3 different shafts depending on what you are looking for? One of them being a B.Asha?

I like that they take their time with the R&D. I know lots of people will love the ability to change grips a little easier due to the smaller butt end.

The talk about differing flex profiles and other companies is something that I found pretty enlightening and suspect many others might as well.

I think I'd like to give the 5 series a shot with my 10.5° head, mainly because I'd like to see if I could drop a little spin. At the same time, I do like the way he described the 4 series and how they've got ball speed up for guys by adjusting the head loft down a little. Then, he talks about the 3 series and tipping it to be like the Blue. Almost sounds like a middle ground shaft when it comes to spin and launch.

Can somebody explain tipping quickly?

I dont think its a knock on anybody necessarily. Like many of the companies in the golf industry, Cleveland has release schedules. A fall release and a spring release (larger). Last year we saw the Fall release with the Black line and the Spring release brought the 588 line and the Classic driver. As we move closer to fall, the previous line gets reduced in price.

As for the Miyazaki connection, in my opinion it has less to do with price and more to do with the aftermarket shaft business. Some would say that Miyazaki from a quality standpoint produces the highest quality shafts in the world. Having them as a standard offering leaves little aftermarket business in their origin country.

Absolutely agree. I feel like Cleveland is a company that understands the golf market and adjusts price points to sell their products at different times of the year. I am pondering a new hybrid and the mashies are at the top of my list due to price right now.

Back