scgolfer

Reaction score
Handicap
Was searching for the 919 irons thread from a while back and could not find it so will ask here. To those that have played the 919 forged and the 919 hot metal pro, which is the more forgiving of the two?Looking very hard at these right now with the Recoil 95 shaft especially since the price drop.

I'm ordering a 4 and 5 HMP to go with my 919 Forged 6-GW set on the recommendation that they are more forgiving. Definitely go with the Recoil 95s!

I'm ordering a 4 and 5 HMP to go with my 919 Forged 6-GW set on the recommendation that they are more forgiving. Definitely go with the Recoil 95s!
Interesting. Who offered that rec?

I'd say it's more of what fits rather than forgiveness, because the HMPs are STUPID easy to hit.

I added the 4i and 5i HMP to my 919F - you do get more forgiveness and added distance. I'm sending the 4i to get a reshaft. I've used the 5i HMP in a couple of rounds - liking it.

I also ordered the 6i HMP since they will change models in the Fall, and at $89/iron - not bad.

I can not comment on the HMP but have the 4 and 5 in forged and they perform well. Wouldn’t say they are overly forgiving compared to other clubs.

Was searching for the 919 irons thread from a while back and could not find it so will ask here. To those that have played the 919 forged and the 919 hot metal pro, which is the more forgiving of the two?Looking very hard at these right now with the Recoil 95 shaft especially since the price drop.
I just ordered the Forged, but hit them all, with the Hot Metal Pro's coming in a very close second. Personally I think they are pretty equal as to forgiveness in general, along with the MP-20 HMB. For some reason I couldn't get decent elevation with the HMB 9-iron, which eliminated them, and the Forged has a bit more offset than the Hot Metal Pros, not really noticeable visually, but its there, and I figured I could use that help so I went Forged.

HMP will likely be more forgiving of the two but they are also designed differently purposefully

I had an outdoor fitting and for me the 919 Forged far out performed the HMPs. It really wasn't close - having said that - your results will be different than mine more than likely.

I had an outdoor fitting and for me the 919 Forged far out performed the HMPs. It really wasn't close - having said that - your results will be different than mine more than likely.

Good to hear.

I had more distance with HMP's and they were a tad more forgiving, but enough of a difference to try them in 4-5i. I reshafted the 5i first to match my forged set and since it went well as to better consistency for me, am having the 4i reshafted. It's an experiment.

I have hit all 3 on multiple occassions. Such a nice line of irons. I don't know about forgiveness -- as far as I an remember forged and HMP both felt similar in forgiveness on mishits -- but HMP was definitely a hotter face and more distance for me. I want to say HMP had a little less spin but don't recall the specific numbers.

Price right now is tempting. I don't know if it would work in terms of gapping without a lot of extra, perhaps unnecessary effort, but Tour in PW-9, Forged 8-6, and HMP in 5-4 sounds really appealing to me.

The only issue I've had with 919F is turf interaction at times, mostly on the range - and I've seen various comments over the almost 2 years with these irons. They might want too look at the grind. WIth my swing, I need to feel as if I'm cuttiing a bit (although it's not a cut) even though my stock shot is a slight draw. Truthfully, I notice this a lot more on the range hittiing ball after ball than on the course. Could just be me, working on my swing. On the course, that issue doesn't crop up much - I'm hitting an iron maybe once on every hole, not ball after ball. Going to ask my instructor at the next lesson.

Other than that, because it leaves me puzzled, I am enjoying these irons. Also liking the MP T20 Forged Wedges.

Last edited:
I had a buddy absolutely gushing over HMPs this afternoon haha

Dude was RIPPING it too... C Taper X... lulz
My elbow just broke thinking about playing those for a round.

He’s just out of college with money to burn, and muscles that actually recuperate haha
Those shafts are part of why I hate the Mizuno shaft fitter. Always Ctaper first. Always.

No.

HMP will likely be more forgiving of the two but they are also designed differently purposefully
I have hit the HMP and they felt really good, but would like to try the forged before making the final decision.

I have hit the HMP and they felt really good, but would like to try the forged before making the final decision.
Definitely. The forged are my favorite in the set but for no other reason than they hit great and look amazing

HMP feels like a rocket off the face; Forged give more feedback and feel.

Interesting. Who offered that rec?

I'd say it's more of what fits rather than forgiveness, because the HMPs are STUPID easy to hit.
In January I tried a 6 iron in Forged and HMP from the fitting cart at Golf and Ski Warehouse on their GC Hawk and, with almost identical numbers, it was giving me tighter dispersion. The fitter recommended for the 4 and 5 I might want to go HMP. If I had know the sky was going to fall I would have ordered them then and there but, I figured no hurry and now can't get them ordered from my local dealer. 😩

In January I tried a 6 iron in Forged and HMP from the fitting cart at Golf and Ski Warehouse on their GC Hawk and, with almost identical numbers, it was giving me tighter dispersion. The fitter recommended for the 4 and 5 I might want to go HMP. If I had know the sky was going to fall I would have ordered them then and there but, I figured no hurry and now can't get them ordered from my local dealer. 😩
You can't order HMP?

Back