Canadan

You Are Great
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Two weeks ago, Mizuno debuted the ES21 wedges and the curiosity from readers immediately rose. A first of its kind design, with the sweet spot centered exactly in the middle of the face and marked on the back.

The wedge has a forged 1025, boron infused carbon steel face attached to a hollow body stainless steel body with two different sole options (wide and standard). Coming in lofts from 54 degrees up to 60 (in 2 degree increments), the goal was to provide not just more spin, but more control for the player looking for performance.

We decided to give it a test in the THP Tech Studio and show you the swings and the data. Does the tech live up to the hype and give us the spin we are searching for? Find out in the Range Days episode below.

The Details

In Stores: 9/17/2020Cost: $200 EachShaft: KBS Hi-Rev 110...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work @Canadan. I am disappointed this only goes down to 56*. The technology story here is really good.

Nice review @Canadan , one question though, in your ball video you said the ProV spun to much for your swing, did you try the wedge with your gamer and see comparable spin numbers?

Awesome.

Now I want one. Thanks Dan. ;)

Seriously though, this is some cutting edge design stuff, and it really seems like Mizuno is just flat out rolling right now.

Awesome! Really seems to get great spin numbers and forgiveness across the face.
Would love to see feedback for smaller swings.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

I have only tried the 56 degree, but think it is pretty remarkable at how good a hollow body wedge sounds.

This is going to be a tough club to market, because on the rack it looks so different, but once in the hands, it definitely shows the capability.

Nice work @Canadan. I am disappointed this only goes down to 56*. The technology story here is really good.
We mentioned it in the video, but it actually goes from 54-60.

Reactions: JB
Nice review @Canadan , one question though, in your ball video you said the ProV spun to much for your swing, did you try the wedge with your gamer and see comparable spin numbers?
Great question. I did hit it with my gamer Bridgestone but we didn't put numbers on it. As much as I love my setup, I don't think it's as relatable to some who are seeking as much spin as they can with a wedge. I felt that showcasing the es21's ability to produce spin was more critical than maximizing my optimal distance.

I felt the ProV1x would do a better job of telling the story from a baseline wedge perspective.

@Canadan Any comment on feel? Shaft? I know Mizuno has Nippon options. How was 115g in the KBS?

And grind - is it an S Grind? M or C Grind? - the W Grind seems to have a lot of trailing edge relief from pics.

That was a terrible video. ‘Different looking head’, but he never really gave a closeup image of the head. But what is so unique about the head ?

That was a terrible video. ‘Different looking head’, but he never really gave a closeup image of the head. But what is so unique about the head ?
I'm happy to help clear this up for you.

Here is me talking about the head in hand with images of it behind me
Here is a close up of the wedge face and how the grooves are designed with keeping water out of the grooves in mind
Here is the timestamp on an image that shows the inner design logic and the slight hollow construction

And as JB noted, the product has been featured on the site for a number of weeks now, which pictures to reference.

@Canadan. Dan, I was waiting for someone to say something negative. Saw a post on golf forum that is not to be named where they were not complimentary and mentioned a review this morning. Trolls. lol.

Pretty good looking wedge here. I like that they are different looking. Seems like plenty of spin available haha.

@Canadan. Dan, I was waiting for someone to say something negative. Saw a post on golf forum that is not to be named where they were not complimentary and mentioned a review this morning. Trolls. lol.
Not everyone will like the content - that's fine.

My goal with this was to get real feedback to our community in a way that is easy to digest. I hope most will get some benefit from it.

My goal with this was to get real feedback to our community in a way that is easy to digest. I hope most will get some benefit from it.

We will. You did. Tell me about the grind... I am playing MP T20 in 48, 54 M grind, 58 C grind

We will. You did. Tell me about the grind... I am playing MP T20 in 48, 54 M grind, 58 C grind
We might be able to get some better pics from HQ, but I can't really say much as I hit them only indoors on a mat, and didn't really do much to manipulate. Most I could say is that wide is super supportive on the full swing experience.

We might be able to get some better pics from HQ, but I can't really say much as I hit them only indoors on a mat, and didn't really do much to manipulate. Most I could say is that wide is super supportive on the full swing experience.

Thank you.

We appreciate it!

This offering is a little bit of a conundrum for me. When they were released, the initial buzz was good! A wedge that broke the mold, figuratively. A wedge that made people rethink what a wedge could be. But, I’m not sure the video truly can convey the benefits that this club offers. Maybe, doing a head to head comparison between the ES21 and another traditional wedge(T-20, SM8, MG2) would showcase what differentiates the tech incorporated in the latest Mizuno wedge. But, instead of full shots, focusing on manipulating the shot to achieve a desired outcome...3/4 shots, flighting the ball down, pitches, chips, etc. I wholeheartedly agree with @JB, that people will actually have to hit this to understand and grasp the concept of what Mizuno tried to accomplish with the ES21. In my opinion, if the average consumer sees this wedge on the rack, I’m not sure there’s enough appeal to get them to test it?! Mizuno needs market this club aggressively and get it on tv, or people will continue to always buy Titleist, TM, and Cleveland wedges.

This offering is a little bit of a conundrum for me. When they were released, the initial buzz was good! A wedge that broke the mold, figuratively. A wedge that made people rethink what a wedge could be. But, I’m not sure the video truly can convey the benefits that this club offers. Maybe, doing a head to head comparison between the ES21 and another traditional wedge(T-20, SM8, MG2) would showcase what differentiates the tech incorporated in the latest Mizuno wedge. But, instead of full shots, focusing on manipulating the shot to achieve a desired outcome...3/4 shots, flighting the ball down, pitches, chips, etc. I wholeheartedly agree with @JB, that people will actually have to hit this to understand and grasp the concept of what Mizuno tried to accomplish with the ES21. In my opinion, if the average consumer sees this wedge on the rack, I’m not sure there’s enough appeal to get them to test it?! Mizuno needs market this club aggressively and get it on tv, or people will continue to always buy Titleist, TM, and Cleveland wedges.

Dan described the tech and collected data from his shots and explained what was occurring. That's about all we can expect from a solid presentation off a mat.

Wedges - need to get outside with them to compare. If someone, I mean, wants to send me an ES21 and compare it to my MP T20's, I'll be happy to compare with pics, too. :cool:

I have a golf course and driving range with two chip/pitch areas 3 minutes from the house... with good lies and really crappy lies and rough.

this is a really interesting release. great review @Canadan !

Back