I actually like the looks of these and will have to give them a try. It's time to replace my wedges.

Thanks for the great video Dan !

interesting wedge release with the technology of the hollow body. Great video @Canadan

Thanks for the fine efforts on the video and the information. I would be most curious to see how this performs relative to the Cleveland Full Face, another hollow body wedge design.

Thanks for the fine efforts on the video and the information. I would be most curious to see how this performs relative to the Cleveland Full Face, another hollow body wedge design.

Do you consider the Full Face a hollow body wedge?

Do you consider the Full Face a hollow body wedge?

I thought it was. Am I mistaken? Wouldn’t be the first, probably even today.

I thought it was. Am I mistaken? Wouldn’t be the first, probably even today.

I didn't consider it one, but maybe I am in the minority. Kind of viewed it as half cavity, half MB honestly.

CBX-FF-ALT1-XL.jpg

I didn't consider it one, but maybe I am in the minority. Kind of viewed it as half cavity, half MB honestly.

View attachment 8960095

I am sure you are correct. Even Cleveland calls it a half cavity on its website. I don’t know where I got that idea, but it seems like I read it somewhere. Maybe senility is taking hold.

I am sure you are correct. Even Cleveland calls it a half cavity on its website. I don’t know where I got that idea, but it seems like I read it somewhere. Maybe senility is taking hold.

Nah, you are wise. I think sometimes its equated to forgiveness as so many companies have gone that route. The irony is that Mizuno is not calling this a game improvement wedge or even a forgiving one. I think the shaping throws us all off.

Dan described the tech and collected data from his shots and explained what was occurring. That's about all we can expect from a solid presentation off a mat.

Wedges - need to get outside with them to compare. If someone, I mean, wants to send me an ES21 and compare it to my MP T20's, I'll be happy to compare with pics, too. :cool:

I have a golf course and driving range with two chip/pitch areas 3 minutes from the house... with good lies and really crappy lies and rough.
I support this.

I would love to test this club sometime. The technology seems thought out and looks great.

Used this one in the sim last night around the greens. On the mat, I am favoring the standard sole, but in the grass around the greens locally for me, I think I favor the wider version. Both have a very unique look to them in hand, but once behind the ball, are pretty dead set what I am used to playing looks wise, or close.

The extra bounce helps more on real grass. I am shallow thru the ball so I gravitate to low bounce then find I have a tendency to catch the ball in the upper half of the face with my 58-08. With my 58-12, my strike is much lower and my shots are more consisten.

Hit about 30 balls with this yesterday to gauge consistency and spin control and with the 56, I was right around 10k spin throughout, playing a knockdown shot right around 90 yards. This was done with a UST Mamiya Recoil Wedge Proto shaft (I love that shaft). One area not talked about very much is the sound and how I feel Mizuno nailed it with the construction. So many times a tech filled club will have a different audible tone at impact that really becomes a bit more polarizing. The ES21 sounds like a wedge is supposed to sound (to my ears).

Interesting tech. IDK what to think. $200. Would I gain that value in performance? I’ll swing one if when I can.

Nice review. One minor feedback. I find myself wishing I could see the reviewer swing rather than just see the screen. There is something about seeing the swing and impact that makes the data more tangible. Harder video production. I understand that part. Just my n=1 take.

Interesting tech. IDK what to think. $200. Would I gain that value in performance? I’ll swing one if when I can.

Nice review. One minor feedback. I find myself wishing I could see the reviewer swing rather than just see the screen. There is something about seeing the swing and impact that makes the data more tangible. Harder video production. I understand that part. Just my n=1 take.

If you check out a lot of our Range Days videos, you see both. Swings and data. It changes from review to review with different angles and what we are shooting.

I think I would be most interested in seeing this vs other wedges for less than full swings. I think that's where the benefit will be seen.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

I think I saw one of these on Monday. Most of the stuff where I played is Mizuno, and I know that's all the pro uses. Would he have been able to get one? All I know is it was really busy, he had to walk away from me for a second, and there was a mizzy wedge hanging on the edge of the counter on his side. I went full 'what is that?!' and grabbed it. It looked like the pictures I'm seeing. I got half a partial swing and about 3 seconds looking down on it before he barked at me, took it back, and shooed me to warmup area. It didn't look weird at all over the ball. Not my favorite shape, but looked totally normal. I'm really curious now to try one. $200 does seem a little steep, but anything moving the cg up, forward, or more centered I want to try. Really interesting step away from normal design by Mizuno.

Last edited:
I think I saw one of these on Monday. Most of the stuff when I played is Mizuno, and I know that's all the pro uses. Would he have been able to get one? All I know is it was really busy, he had to walk away from me for a second, and there was a mizzy wedge hanging on the edge of the counter on his side. I went full 'what is that?!' and grabbed it. It looked like the pictures I'm seeing. I got half a partial swing and about 3 seconds looking down on it before he barked at me, took it back, and shooed me to warmup area. It didn't look weird at all over the ball. Not my favorite shape, but looked totally normal. I'm really curious now to try one. $200 does seem a little steep, but anything moving the cg up, forward, or more centered I want to try. Really interesting step away from normal design by Mizuno.

🤣🤣🤣

Hit about 30 balls with this yesterday to gauge consistency and spin control and with the 56, I was right around 10k spin throughout, playing a knockdown shot right around 90 yards. This was done with a UST Mamiya Recoil Wedge Proto shaft (I love that shaft). One area not talked about very much is the sound and how I feel Mizuno nailed it with the construction. So many times a tech filled club will have a different audible tone at impact that really becomes a bit more polarizing. The ES21 sounds like a wedge is supposed to sound (to my ears).
JB, where Mizuno is offering only the wide and narrow sole, how are these to open up? In my T20 58/06 I went with a m grind and can lay it wide open with no change in my leading edge, do these have heel and toe relief on the narrow sole?

JB, where Mizuno is offering only the wide and narrow sole, how are these to open up? In my T20 58/06 I went with a m grind and can lay it wide open with no change in my leading edge, do these have heel and toe relief on the narrow sole?

The standard seems fine. The wide might be a bit of a tougher play there. They seem to have done a good job in relief where you need it.

Great stuff Dan. Have always been a big Mizuno wedge fan and would still be playing them if Hogan didn't bring out Equalizers.

This wedge is throwing a wrench in things for my setup, because I keep coming back to it. I don't know why genuinely, but I crave hitting it.

This wedge is throwing a wrench in things for my setup, because I keep coming back to it. I don't know why genuinely, but I crave hitting it.
I love the sound of that. The whole 2020 Mizuno release, to me, is like a kid looking at a Lamborghini for the first time. It's the coolest thing out there, and one day, when you grow up, you might have one. As far as throwing a wrench in your setup, I'll gladly help you out by taking it off your hands. For the good of your mental health, and the community of course ;)

Just wondering @JB ,are the ES21's making it in your bag or still undecided?

Back