I picked up a 60 degree standard grind. I have not played golf for more than 2 weeks and don’t have high expectations for my game. However, I am going to throw it in the bag for tomorrow’s round.

I picked up a 60 degree standard grind. I have not played golf for more than 2 weeks and don’t have high expectations for my game. However, I am going to throw it in the bag for tomorrow’s round.
Curious how it will compare to
your zipcores.

After one round, I would say this is a very good wedge. I used it 7 times, including once out of a greenside bunker. Distance is what I would expect. I would say that it does not spin as much as the Cleveland ZipCores. The standard grind is very versatile. I don’t think the shiny black finish is going to hold up at all, but, fortunately, the face is not finished in black. I am looking forward to getting some practice in with it and will be able to give more feedback.

Nice video DAntonio

Curious if you’ve tried these when the grooves are wet?

Based on data moving the weight from the heel to the center didn’t impact you and still pretty spinny in the 11500-12000 range

Saw these in PGATSS yesterday - the wide sole is WIDE. The regular sole seems just right. At address, the blade length from heel to toe looked somewhat compact. The toe was highish. The back of the wedge does look meaty with the head in your hands.

The MP-T20 is a more attractive wedge but the ES-21 is supposed to be different. At address, it looks fine, not offensive.

From the TXG vid, Matt had it spinning.

They had no demos, unfortunately. More opinions please!

I spent a good 20-30 minutes in the tech studio with this one yesterday. Hitting full shots and half shots.

I have it paired with the Kinetixx wedge shaft that I really like the feel of and was using the larger of the two soles.

Spin is monstrous on the clean lie on full swings, approaching 12,000 rpms, but these are still very fresh grooves. On half shots, I was still getting a ton of spin, averaging around 8,500 and that is the shot I am working on to be able to throw it right at the pin.

I will be curious to get this out on the course in the next week and see how it translates.

I got another round in with the 60 standard grind in the bag today. A few thoughts are starting to gel for me.

This is among the best wedges out of green side bunkers that I have ever used. The spin is great and it seems to glide through perfectly.

The spin is high on shots from around the green, both chips and little pitches.

I used it as an approach club four times today and had decent birdie looks all four times, making one birdie. It performed well on the 55 yard partial shots, as well as a full swing that yields 80 to 85 yards.

So far, I have no reason not to keep it in my bag and continue the experiment. It’s a fun wedge. You would never know it is a hollow body from the feel/sound.

I am not sure why, but I am struggling a bit to get comfortable with this wedge for little pitches around the greens. As I previously mentioned, it is incredible out of greenside sand bunkers. I also am now seeing oodles of spin on the 50 yard-type shots.

I've looked in all my local stores in the UK and can't find it.
Would like to have a look before diving in.
I think I'm going to get a 54° to begin with and I think at that loft it wouldn't be the wide sole but difficult to say without seeing it.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

I've looked in all my local stores in the UK and can't find it.
Would like to have a look before diving in.
I think I'm going to get a 54° to begin with and I think at that loft it wouldn't be the wide sole but difficult to say without seeing it.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Wish Mizuno was having demo days soon ...

After several weeks, the experiment is over for me with this wedge. I played 18 holes yesterday and it cost me at least 3 or 4 strokes, relative to shots I normally believe I can execute well. I just don’t seem to be able to use it effectively around the green and even my full shot ball strikes were not crisp. I switched back to a Glide 3 for today’s round and it was night and day difference. The only thing I can think of is that the grind did not suit me. I will say that it may be the best wedge out of greenside bunkers that I have ever used.

Last edited:
the experiment is over for me with this wedge. I played 18 holes yesterday and it cost me at least 3 or 4 strokes, relative to shots I normally believe I could execute well. I just don’t seem to be able to use it effectively around the green and even my full shots were not coming on crisp. I switched back to a Glide 3 for today’s round and it was night and day difference. The only thing I can think of is that the grind did not suit me. I will say that it may be the best wedge out of green-side bunkers that I have ever used.

Guess I will stick with my MP T20's until a demo day for ES21

Guess I will stick with my MP T20's until a demo day for ES21
It’s an expensive wedge to try on a lark. Luckily, I have a 90 day return that I can use for something else.

I’m not sure if Mizuno classifies this as “game improvement” but that’s what I would call it. Very thick and robust head. Felt heavy. Sole and topline are wide. Mizuno does a good job trying to camouflage it though.
EBE9221F-EC40-4226-8AFD-CDF9780301C9.jpegAD9D0F99-34BB-4E10-A372-7F3987428BEF.jpeg2BA18AEA-4A46-432F-A8DC-BA12D11B5636.jpeg

It’s not considered a game improvement wedge by them. They offer two sole sizes

It’s not considered a game improvement wedge by them. They offer two sole sizes
I didn't pay attention, but besides holding the two wedges side by side, is there a way to tell the difference between the standard and wide soles? Do they mark them differently?

I didn't pay attention, but besides holding the two wedges side by side, is there a way to tell the difference between the standard and wide soles? Do they mark them differently?
Yes one says W on it.

Back