Mizuno h4 first impression

Frederic

The swing scientist
Reaction score
Just spent a couple of hours hitting the new MP-h4.

They finally made it to the shops here in Colorado. I heard the delay was due to an issue with the club head graphics before, and mizuno decided to push back the release to November 20. Interestingly enough, there is a weird sticker in the back of the club head. I would love to see what is underneath. Because it does not look good and is atypical of mizuno to put a sticker on a club. It is plain ugly and looks really cheap.

As for distance, the long iron 3 and 4 are really phenomenal. Love the sound and feel. And they seem very long as well. I could not measure accurately, but it looks like they could be what I need, that is to be slightly shorter than my hybrid (250). The 3 felt like it was around 235 - if true then this would be perfect for what I am looking for. I always want 15 yards between clubs ideally.
The 3 and 4 were easy to hit and had a nice ball flight. A little higher than usual, which is a good thing for me for the long iron.

On a side note, I compared the 6 h4, the 6 mp69 and the 6 rocketbladez. The distance was pretty much the same for all clubs with the 69 being a tiny bit shorter but more consistent.
On a miss hit, all clubs were inconsistent in accuracy and distance (there is no magic here).

This is a set that definitely has my attention

This is a set that definitely has my attention

Same here. I am hoping this could be a set that would provide me with a bit of forgiveness while still looking good. I am also after consistency - I have enough distance as is.
I am hoping these clubs could help a bit with some off center hit while still allowing me to work the ball. I need more sessions with them to find out if this will be the case.

As for the look, these clubs still look good (even with the ugly sticker on the back), so many OEM make absolutely ridiculous club nowadays, and it is not just TM.

So the sticker is there to stay or is this iron still in the fix it stage. I know Mizzie pulled the release back to fix some stuff. I hope the fix was not a sticker

Shame we don't have the full set of these here in Europe, only long iron replacements

Same here. I am hoping this could be a set that would provide me with a bit of forgiveness while still looking good. I am also after consistency - I have enough distance as is.
I am hoping these clubs could help a bit with some off center hit while still allowing me to work the ball. I need more sessions with them to find out if this will be the case.

As for the look, these clubs still look good (even with the ugly sticker on the back), so many OEM make absolutely ridiculous club nowadays, and it is not just TM.
If that's what you're looking for, you need some AP2's from Titleist. Look phenomenal, some forgiveness, playable, and distance control is very good.

I think 3-5 irons of these may be in my future.

If that's what you're looking for, you need some AP2's from Titleist. Look phenomenal, some forgiveness, playable, and distance control is very good.

That is a great point. These AP2 should be on my list. I need to make sure I give them a try.

I think it is going to take me a while to test the irons on my list.
I have the H4, mp64, mp69 (short iron only - 8 to PW), AP2.

I should also give the TM RBLadez a good try, even though I can not get over the look and name. At least to confirm the marketing claims and maybe go for the tour version.

Too many new irons this winter and too little time...

Shame we don't have the full set of these here in Europe, only long iron replacements

The long iron 2 to 4 is really where these irons shines though. So you still get the main piece.

This raises a good question, I tried to find out before but I never found a good answer to why Europe does not get the full set.
if anyone knows the real answer... Just being curious.

Just got fitted for a set of these at edwin watts. Very excited. I did the whole mizuno fitting and am kind of worried about the shaft selection. I got matched up to DG X100 or Project X PXi 6.5. My swing speed was 92-98 mph with a 6i. I was only hitting it 150-160 but the guy said their launch monitor was having issues. I am very excited about the set, but am just kind of worried the shaft might be out of my league. Everything I'm reading online says the PXi is for tour players etc....very much not me. The guy also recommend changing the lie by 2 (??) not sure about this either. Any thoughts would be appreciated as I have heard of DG and PX shafts prior to today but not PXi. Also, any idea how much the upcharge for the PXi, the guy wasn't sure and the mizuno place was already closed when he tried to call. He is going to call me back tomorrow, but just wanted a ballpark, I see roughly $38/shaft online (thought this would be subsidized with iron set purchase though). Thanks again.

Just got fitted for a set of these at edwin watts. Very excited. I did the whole mizuno fitting and am kind of worried about the shaft selection. I got matched up to DG X100 or Project X PXi 6.5. My swing speed was 92-98 mph with a 6i. I was only hitting it 150-160 but the guy said their launch monitor was having issues. I am very excited about the set, but am just kind of worried the shaft might be out of my league. Everything I'm reading online says the PXi is for tour players etc....very much not me. The guy also recommend changing the lie by 2 (??) not sure about this either. Any thoughts would be appreciated as I have heard of DG and PX shafts prior to today but not PXi. Also, any idea how much the upcharge for the PXi, the guy wasn't sure and the mizuno place was already closed when he tried to call. He is going to call me back tomorrow, but just wanted a ballpark, I see roughly $38/shaft online (thought this would be subsidized with iron set purchase though). Thanks again.

Something seems odd here. At 92-98 mph the distance should be over 200 yds.
Moreover, 95 mph for a 6 iron is very high.
You should try another place and check this number again before you buy anything.

The h4 are excellent clubs. Enjoy them.

Something seems odd here. At 92-98 mph the distance should be over 200 yds.
Moreover, 95 mph for a 6 iron is very high.
You should try another place and check this number again before you buy anything.

The h4 are excellent clubs. Enjoy them.

Got a second opinion...same result. So I have a set of MP-H4's with PXi 6.5's and GP multicompound grips (blk/mizuno blue) currently being made with my name on them. Also got the Mizuno Neo cart bag in staff colors to go along with them. Needless to say, I'm fricking pumped. I will post some picks when they come in if people are interested (and if someone can tell me how to post pics on here-very new to THP, but loving it so far!).

Got a second opinion...same result. So I have a set of MP-H4's with PXi 6.5's and GP multicompound grips (blk/mizuno blue) currently being made with my name on them. Also got the Mizuno Neo cart bag in staff colors to go along with them. Needless to say, I'm fricking pumped. I will post some picks when they come in if people are interested (and if someone can tell me how to post pics on here-very new to THP, but loving it so far!).

Have you had a chance to play these yet? If so, do you have any post honeymoon impressions?

My original opinion on these was muted but I gave 'em a second chance today during the search for some long irons to go with my MP64s. Haven't decided for sure yet but these are now the leading contender.

I have to confess, I haven't been able to play a round with them yet. I've actually only been to the range once (work, family-new 8wk old baby, etc). Even at the range I got there just before closing/dark so half my bucket I couldn't even see my ball flight. I will say that they felt unbelievable. Considering I'm stepping up from some GI callis, I was blown away by the set. I'm going to play at least one round over the holidays so I will have more to add then. So far with n=1 on hitting them, amazing.

So the sticker is there to stay or is this iron still in the fix it stage. I know Mizzie pulled the release back to fix some stuff. I hope the fix was not a sticker

The sticker is here to stay.

Yes, it has a plastic/rubber finish on the back. I don't think it looks bad. I can see how the mizuno purest may not agree though.

Thanks Tig. I look forward to your on course impression.

Thanks Tig. I look forward to your on course impression.

So this has been a few months overdue, but I wanted to finally put some thoughts out there on the H4's. I've put in about 6 rounds (2 solid rounds, the rest were wet and cold...did not play well). Overall, I am beyond pleased with how I have hit these irons. Full disclosure is that my previous irons were some SGI Callaways that served me well, but were just clunky and starting to fall apart. Across the board I've gained about 15 yards on all my clubs. This last time out I was absolutely pounding it (finally warm and dry). I was actually flying a few of the greens and was in places on the course I've never been. By the back 9 I was making more adjustments on distance and had a streak of birdie/birdie/par/par, which for me is pretty good. Irons 7-9 have the best feel. I've never been this confident with my short irons. Long irons 4/5 I hit really well too. I'm not sure about the 6. Still trying to figure out distance and I guess I'm just not at that distance very often. The other thing someone commented on the other day was the height I was getting on all of my approach shots. This wasn't "ballooning" height, but more a piercing/power height. Not really sure if I'm describing that correctly, but I was getting compliments from my foursome. Overall, I am overly pleased with these guys. I know some of the purest out there are not thrilled with the looks of these, but they have held up well so far and I'm a happy camper. I have another 2 rounds coming in the next 2 weeks on more challenging tracks, I'll let you guys know how it goes.

I game the MP-H4 3-iron and the thing is automatic. It is solid feeling and it goes forever. I have never been a fan of the 3-iron and looking at most WITB, not many people are, but this 3-iron will be the last club to leave my bag.

Thinking of putting the J40s and hybrids in the closet for a while and buying a set of the MP-H4 3-pw, any more reviews?

Thinking of putting the J40s and hybrids in the closet for a while and buying a set of the MP-H4 3-pw, any more reviews?

I've only hit the MP-H4 3iron and its absurd how easy it is to hit. I can only imagine the rest of the set is even easier

I've got a set of these irons. 5-PW I think. I hit them a few times and then just sat them in the garage. Not sure why

Back