JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Our review of them are here.

The Hackers Paradise Mizuno MX-300 Iron Review

This is a press release

Mizuno, maker of the world's finest irons, introduces the Grain Flow Forged MX-300 irons, a perfect players spec iron with game improvement technologies to provide a level of forgiveness that every player can use. The MX-300 irons feature a traditional appearance with a minimal progressive offset, a compact head size and modest sole width to deliver the look for an aggressive player profile, while Y-Tuneâ„¢ Pro technology provides enhanced feel and ball flight control, with added forgiveness.

Y-Tune Pro technology utilizes a specially configured cavity back design that provides the perfect amount of mass behind the hitting area for unmatched solid feel and workability, while simultaneously providing an enlarged sweet spot area for increased playability. The MX-300s feature a milled pocket cavity in the 3-7 irons which allows for the redistribution of 17 grams of discretionary weight low and deep to provide a high penetrating launch, while the scoring irons (8-GW) utilize a solid power bar design for maximum solid feel and pin attacking precision.

The MX-300s are Grain Flow Forged from 1025E "Pure Select" mild carbon steel for the ultimate in soft, solid, and consistent feel. The sole of the MX-300 is dual cambered with generous leading edge bevel and rolled trailing edge to minimize turf drag and reduce digging through impact, providing pure ball striking from any lie. In addition, the MX-300s feature a double nickel chrome plated finish for durability and modified U-grooves, designed to conform to the Condition of Competition 2010, for the ideal spin rate in all playing conditions.

"We realize that there are many players out there looking for some added forgiveness, but prefer a more traditional head shape and profile in the playing position." said Dick Lyons, Vice President and General Manager, Mizuno USA Golf Division. "The MX-300s are the perfect iron for those players. Our patented Grain Flow Forging process is going to provide feel you can't find anywhere else, while Y-Tune Pro Technology allows for enhanced workability and ball control with an expanded sweet area for increased playability. You just can't ask for anything more."

The MX-300 irons will be offered in right hand models with True Temper® Dynalite Gold® XP shafts (R300,S300) standard, and a Mizuno/Golf Pride® M-21 58 Round grip. The suggested retail price for a set (4-GW) of MX-300 irons is $900. Custom shaft and grip options, as well as length and lie options are available through Mizuno's industry leading Custom Club department. The MX-300 irons are available in stores now. For more information on the MX-300s visit MIZUNO USA .: NEVER SETTLE.

Mizuno USA, Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Mizuno Corporation, one of the largest specialty sporting goods manufacturers in the world. Mizuno USA, Inc. manufactures and distributes golf, baseball, softball, running, track & field, and volleyball equipment, apparel, and footwear for North America. Mizuno USA, Inc. is based in Norcross, Georgia.

Last edited:
MX300 - nice clubs!

MX300 - nice clubs!

Spent some time hitting the MX300's and they are great clubs. The launch monitor was down that day so I dont have any numbers but they are on my short list. I would like to take a demo set out on the course for a real test.

FYI, my current short list of potential next set of irons are:
Adams a7
Mizuno MX300
Ping i15
Maybe Tour Edge Exotics XCG

• Admin
Spent some time hitting the MX300's and they are great clubs. The launch monitor was down that day so I dont have any numbers but they are on my short list. I would like to take a demo set out on the course for a real test.

FYI, my current short list of potential next set of irons are:
Adams a7
Mizuno MX300
Ping i15
Maybe Tour Edge Exotics XCG

crazygolfnut, since you are from Omaha, where did you hit these at? At Ashland CC? Do you have any experience with the local golf stores/clubs?

I spent time at Golf USA. Jason is a good fitter. I need to go back for some demos and take them to the course.

I spent time at Golf USA.

That was my #1 choice of the local shops, so it is good to hear of someone else using it versus Golf ETC, Austad's, Golf Galaxy. I'll have to take a look at the MX-300's. The MX-200's are at the top of my current list, and will probably be ahead of the 300's simply because of price. Do you know what Golf USA had those at? And if Golf USA includes a fitting when you purchase clubs?

• Admin
  • Admin
Another great review, JB! It seems like all the new model GI irons coming out right now are getting solid reviews (Cleveland CG7 BP, TM Burner, TM R9, Titleist AP1). With so many quality options available, it seems like choosing a set is really coming down to price and personal (subjective) judgments, like aesthetics and feel. I'm curious though, since you've had the opportunity to try so many of them out, how would you rank the new/current model GI irons that you've reviewed thus far?

I am not sure I would classify these as a GI iron. Like I mention several times in the review, there is a new category emerging that many equipment companies are calling a blend. It is still GI like with far more GE things going on.

Looking at Mizuno for example, I think the MX-1000 is certainly GI. Then the MX-200 starts to creep into the blend category. Now these with even less offset are even more in that blend group.

So for me, it really depends on what you are looking for and comparing apples to apples.

I see. So what would the MX-300 most fairly be compared to? The only two sets I can think of off the top of my head that fit the description are the Titleist AP1 and the Adams A7. Would those be fair comparisons and, if so, how do they stack up verses the MX-300?

That is really the unique thing of this new line from Mizuno. The MX-200s compare very well to what you listed, but these are a little more on the players side and a little less on the GI side than those. For instance I would put the R9s in that same category, but these I would compare more to the R9 TP because of the head size and less offset.

I see. Very cool. The review got me interested so I'm definitely going to demo the MX-300 over the weekend. I'll probably take a look at the R9 TP as well to see how they compare. I'll report back on how it goes. Anyway, thanks again for the great info and the review!

You are very welcome. Mizuno seems to have hit something special in their lineup this year by having a set of irons for just about anybody. MX-100s for the GI needs, MX-200s for those looking for GI irons, but do not want to see the thick topline or oversize head. MX-300s for the people that find there is just a little too much offset in the MX-200s and really want the playability of a players club, with some solid forgiveness. And of course the MP line.

Great review JB! As much as I love the look and description of the playability on these irons, I think the MX-200 would probably be a better fit for me. But sounds like another great set of irons from Mizuno!

Do they plan on releasing a matching hybrid to go with this set, like the MX-200?

Not sure yet Osahar. Right now the only hybrid is the MX-700 and of course their hybrid/iron in the Fli-Hi. The MX-700 line is getting replaced VERY soon, so we will know more then.

Nice review JB. I am going to hit these tomorrow. I was looking at the club up close and it had a KBS Tour Shaft in it and it looked like the head was removable. There was an allen screw on the neck to change out shafts easily. I am assuming this is for demo purposes?

What's your feeling on the different iron shafts out there now?

Nice review JB. I am going to hit these tomorrow. I was looking at the club up close and it had a KBS Tour Shaft in it and it looked like the head was removable. There was an allen screw on the neck to change out shafts easily. I am assuming this is for demo purposes?

What's your feeling on the different iron shafts out there now?

That is a fitters club. As for the different iron shafts, that is for another thread, but I can tell you it is a personal thing that is different for each person.

I had a chance to hit these yesterday. I hit this along with CG7 BP Tour, CG7 and X22 Tour. Here are my thoughts:

Looks:
The club is sexy and was almost too pretty to hit. I got over that real quick and took quite a few swings with it.

Feel and Feedback:
There is no doubt on feedback with this club. A mishit is easily diagnosed. A pure shot is a thing of beauty and it's very easy to work shots with this club. I felt the trajectory was just right for my liking (not too high or low).

Forgiveness:
Compared with some of the clubs I was hitting next to hit, this club is not as forgiving.

When you hit this club pure, there was no comparison. With where my game is at right now, I don't think this club is as forgiving as I need it to be. I enjoyed hitting the club and I think more consistent iron players are going to love this iron.

I had a chance to hit these yesterday. I hit this along with CG7 BP Tour, CG7 and X22 Tour. Here are my thoughts:

Looks:
The club is sexy and was almost too pretty to hit. I got over that real quick and took quite a few swings with it.

Feel and Feedback:
There is no doubt on feedback with this club. A mishit is easily diagnosed. A pure shot is a thing of beauty and it's very easy to work shots with this club. I felt the trajectory was just right for my liking (not too high or low).

Forgiveness:
Compared with some of the clubs I was hitting next to hit, this club is not as forgiving.

When you hit this club pure, there was no comparison. With where my game is at right now, I don't think this club is as forgiving as I need it to be. I enjoyed hitting the club and I think more consistent iron players are going to love this iron.

A 4 capper says they aren't forgiving enough...uh oh...this isn't saying anything about you biggsy, just my suspicion that the mx in the labeling probably should have been mp...they look to me like a player's club straight up...still need to hit them though...

A 4 capper says they aren't forgiving enough...uh oh...this isn't saying anything about you biggsy, just my suspicion that the mx in the labeling probably should have been mp...they look to me like a player's club straight up...still need to hit them though...

The goal with the MX line is not about game improvement completely. They have the MX-1000s for that. It is about blending the gap between GI and GE. The original plan was the MX would be GI, but since the MX-200s were so well received, they have added more options in the GE category.

Don't let that "4" fool you, that number is going up based on how poorly I am playing lately. LOL

You want to talk about a player all over the place, that's me.

That said, for me, they had the feel and forgiveness of true blade club with a cavity back.

Looking forward to what some others think about them.

The goal with the MX line is not about game improvement completely. They have the MX-1000s for that. It is about blending the gap between GI and GE. The original plan was the MX would be GI, but since the MX-200s were so well received, they have added more options in the GE category.

It is now...it wasn't in the past...not so long ago Mp line was the player's designation and the mx was pure GI...like the press release you put up and your observation that mizzy is pumping out more irons than anyone at the moment, yeah, they're putting something out there for everyone when traditionally they were a club that would have been considered only by mid handicappers or better...I think it's great and I never cared too much for the pigeonholing of clubs; I mean just exactly does an 11 or 9 handicap fall in the mizzy mp/mx scheme of things!?!? Better off not paying too much attention to labels and just hitting the clubs and take what plays the best...I get the bridging the gap thing, but just from looks and specs alone they would seem to fit in the mp line better than the mx...maybe create an mpx line!?!?:D Anyway, I'm looking forward to trying them and wouldn't be suprised after what I've been hearing if alot of former mp players went the mx 300 route when they would have never seriously considered clubs like the mx 200, mx 20, 25 and 23 with their fat back cavities and long heel to toe measurements...

Back