Mizuno JPX 800 Driver Review

Tonight will be a big night of testing for the JPX 800, I need to decide if I'm going to put it in the bag for the upcoming Pro Am that I'm playing in this weekend. I'll get back in here and post what I decide, either way that will be pretty big indicator of just what I think of this driver so far. I'd like to give a little hint as to what I'll decide, but I honestly don't know yet. Stay tuned.

Do it, do it...

Good luck in the tourney.

Tonight will be a big night of testing for the JPX 800, I need to decide if I'm going to put it in the bag for the upcoming Pro Am that I'm playing in this weekend. I'll get back in here and post what I decide, either way that will be pretty big indicator of just what I think of this driver so far. I'd like to give a little hint as to what I'll decide, but I honestly don't know yet. Stay tuned.

Puttin4Bird,

Excited to see if the Mizuno makes it into the bag!

is it staying in the bag?

Right now it's sort of in the bag/out of the bag. It didn't make the cut for the tournament last weekend, but I've got another this Sunday and it is for sure the bag for that one. Rain everyday this week so far has prevented me from any more work with it, but that appears to be behind us for a while now.

It was in the bag today and now I'm thinking it might stay there for a while (well until a certain Morgan Cup driver knocks it out anyway). I hit some bombs with it today, only missed 3 FWs and each miss was pretty close to the FW anyway so I wasn't really bothered by those misses. I have given up trying to figure out the sound of this thing, one time it sounds like an aluminum ball bat and another time it's that Cobraesque muted thud and another time it's a nice whack. From what I could tell the ball goes just as well regardless of the sound too....strange indeed. Early on I was thinking this driver was shorter than the Burner SuperFast 2.0 I had been using for a while but on the course there have been multiple times where I knocked the ball out past where I usually hit to with the BSF 2.0. Forgiving and solid are 2 things that really describe that driver best so far.

Interesting review, never got on really well with Mizuno drivers before, but this one sure sounds interesting. I hope it treats you well in your tournament.

It was in the bag today and now I'm thinking it might stay there for a while (well until a certain Morgan Cup driver knocks it out anyway). I hit some bombs with it today, only missed 3 FWs and each miss was pretty close to the FW anyway so I wasn't really bothered by those misses. I have given up trying to figure out the sound of this thing, one time it sounds like an aluminum ball bat and another time it's that Cobraesque muted thud and another time it's a nice whack. From what I could tell the ball goes just as well regardless of the sound too....strange indeed. Early on I was thinking this driver was shorter than the Burner SuperFast 2.0 I had been using for a while but on the course there have been multiple times where I knocked the ball out past where I usually hit to with the BSF 2.0. Forgiving and solid are 2 things that really describe that driver best so far.

I'm completely in love with my new Nike driver... until what I just read here!
I gotta find one of these to hit... sounds like a very solid driver!!

awesome. I'll have to take some time to go to GS to hit this club more. :D

I came to the decision that if I was going to give this club a thorough test that I would just have to remove my own driver, put it in the bag and roll with it and see what happens. I've have it in the bag now for multiple rounds and I have so many things to say....but guess what, you'll have to wait for the review to go up to find out anything else. I will be writing it this weekend and it should go up sometime soon. You're going to want to read this review, trust me.

I came to the decision that if I was going to give this club a thorough test that I would just have to remove my own driver, put it in the bag and roll with it and see what happens. I've have it in the bag now for multiple rounds and I have so many things to say....but guess what, you'll have to wait for the review to go up to find out anything else. I will be writing it this weekend and it should go up sometime soon. You're going to want to read this review, trust me.
is the review write up complete? looking forward to reading it. :D

Looking forward to this review too, it's been a torturous process deciding on a driver in this thread and makes for interesting reading indeed!

Just got a deal on this club in stiff flex, stock shaft, 9 degrees. Brand new for $100. Hit it well in the demo bay. Pretty tight dispersion for me which is rare. Longest was 283 but my average was 240 yd carry with roll out to 250-260. That's a pretty good distance for me.
Even mishits were going a good distance. Had a few pushes and pulls that would go 250-260. Thought that was pretty interesting. I did hit a few popups that only went about 200 yds but we figured out that I was crowding the ball and once I backed off a few inches I got back to the center of the clubface.
Will keep you updated on my on the course performance with it. I simply couldn't pass it up for $100.

Got some range time today with my new driver. Performed just as well as it did for me yesterday on the launch monitor. Was banging those range rocks pretty straight for the most part. Loving this club so far!

awesome, glad you found a club that works for you at an absolute steal. Was it a demo or were you just that lucky?

awesome, glad you found a club that works for you at an absolute steal. Was it a demo or were you just that lucky?

I was just that lucky. I have a buddy that works for The Golf Connection, a golf shop in Lafayette which is only about 45 minutes from me, and he said they were just trying to get rid of the club.
I asked him if it was a trade in or anything like that and he said no, they just wanted to move it off the floor. Not a mark on it, face looks brand new, couldn't find a thing wrong with it.
He told me they were just marked down by Mizuno to $199 so even if I didn't like it I could turn around and sell it and make a few bucks but I really hit it well so far so no need to try to get rid of it.

I was just that lucky. I have a buddy that works for The Golf Connection, a golf shop in Lafayette which is only about 45 minutes from me, and he said they were just trying to get rid of the club.
I asked him if it was a trade in or anything like that and he said no, they just wanted to move it off the floor. Not a mark on it, face looks brand new, couldn't find a thing wrong with it.
He told me they were just marked down by Mizuno to $199 so even if I didn't like it I could turn around and sell it and make a few bucks but I really hit it well so far so no need to try to get rid of it.

I had a similar situation here in Australia, was in the right place at the right time and managed to pick up the driver for $75 as they had lost the headcover for it somehow!! how are you finding yours?
I'm loving mine (12 degree, reg flex exar shaft). I'd never considered playing a 12 degree driver before, but thought i'd give it a try as I am naturally a low ball hitter. I find that it is not as long as my previous driver (callaway ft-9) on hits out of the middle, but on off centre hits it is waaaaay more forgiving. Ive hit some drives high out of the toe when i was trying to hit a big draw that went stupid long (for me).

Haven't had a chance to get it out on the course yet but will this upcoming weekend. Will keep you posted!

Finally got a chance to get my new driver out on the course this past weekend.
Travelled to Tupelo, MS to visit my Dad and play a round with him at his club, Big Oaks in Saltillo, MS. I played from the whites and he played from the Senior tees. I shot an 81 on a somewhat rainy, overcast day with plenty of wind. Pretty happy with that score but my putting still needs some work. Left a few strokes out there due to some bad putts.

Anyways, back to the JPX800 driver. I hit 12 of 14 fairways. One miss was only about a foot in the rough left of the fairway while my other miss was also left but I hooked it off the tee trying to hit it too hard.
Love the lower trajectory of the ball flight. This driver is a 9.0 degree and my old one was a 10.5 so I was losing a bit of distance from ballooning my tee shots with the old one.
Several times I hit the exact ball flight, distance, and location that I wanted. It's so cool to picture the shot in your head as you set up to the ball on the tee and then hit it perfectly that way.
I am very pleased with this driver so far. Best $100 I've ever spent on a driver. If you ever get a chance to demo one, try it!

I'm new around here but wanted to stop in and introduce myself as another person bagging this driver. I have the JPX-800 10.5 and 3 wood with Fubuki shafts, and the 19 (3 hybrid) with the regular Exsar. I've been playing mizuno mx-23 irons for quite a few years now and just love them so when it came time for new woods this summer I decided to go with Mizuno due to the quality of their irons. I never hit them before buying but Mark Crossfield's reviews on Youtube were pretty convincing to me that these were some nice clubs. I've been absolutely hammering the driver and 3 (including off the deck), but I'm not as pleased with the hybrid. I usually get it up in the air and flying in the right general direction, but the 3 wood strangely gets the ball much higher and more accurate in my hands. Maybe it's the shaft, maybe not- don't know. The driver and 3 were Ebay finds which I got slightly used and saved a bunch of money. I bought the hybrid at a local authorized dealer when the price dropped this summer, so don't think it's a problem with a counterfeit club or anything like that. I hit a few with it at the end of a range session and was very impressed. Just doesn't work for me on the course though.

Putting a good swing on the driver results in a boring ball flight that lands with lots of roll even in these late season sloppy conditions. Rarely any fading or draw to it. I'm not the level of golfer that can typically produce those flights at will, so I can't really comment on how "workable" it is. I occasionally fight a hook when I get sloppy with my fundamentals, so I was a bit concerned with the internal weighting that helps close the face but my driver mishits have been a push off to the right- still straight and long but into the trouble. Many glorious bombs have left the face of this driver though. It feels like a big step up in technology and is much easier to hit consistently and split fairways than the old TM burner and Titleist 975D I had been using. The 3 wood from the tee doesn't produce the same boring trajectory as the driver. It's long alright but usually ends up with the ball falling straight down onto the fairway with minimal roll. As many people have suggested, the fairway woods really are super easy to launch from the deck. I'm loving the D and the 3, but might have to check out the mashie hybrids based on what people are saying around this forum.

I think the clubs have a real solid sound (and feel) and I haven't heard anything like the "little league world series" sound mentioned previously.

I'm new around here but wanted to stop in and introduce myself as another person bagging this driver. I have the JPX-800 10.5 and 3 wood with Fubuki shafts, and the 19 (3 hybrid) with the regular Exsar. I've been playing mizuno mx-23 irons for quite a few years now and just love them so when it came time for new woods this summer I decided to go with Mizuno due to the quality of their irons. I never hit them before buying but Mark Crossfield's reviews on Youtube were pretty convincing to me that these were some nice clubs. I've been absolutely hammering the driver and 3 (including off the deck), but I'm not as pleased with the hybrid. I usually get it up in the air and flying in the right general direction, but the 3 wood strangely gets the ball much higher and more accurate in my hands. Maybe it's the shaft, maybe not- don't know. The driver and 3 were Ebay finds which I got slightly used and saved a bunch of money. I bought the hybrid at a local authorized dealer when the price dropped this summer, so don't think it's a problem with a counterfeit club or anything like that. I hit a few with it at the end of a range session and was very impressed. Just doesn't work for me on the course though.

Putting a good swing on the driver results in a boring ball flight that lands with lots of roll even in these late season sloppy conditions. Rarely any fading or draw to it. I'm not the level of golfer that can typically produce those flights at will, so I can't really comment on how "workable" it is. I occasionally fight a hook when I get sloppy with my fundamentals, so I was a bit concerned with the internal weighting that helps close the face but my driver mishits have been a push off to the right- still straight and long but into the trouble. Many glorious bombs have left the face of this driver though. It feels like a big step up in technology and is much easier to hit consistently and split fairways than the old TM burner and Titleist 975D I had been using. The 3 wood from the tee doesn't produce the same boring trajectory as the driver. It's long alright but usually ends up with the ball falling straight down onto the fairway with minimal roll. As many people have suggested, the fairway woods really are super easy to launch from the deck. I'm loving the D and the 3, but might have to check out the mashie hybrids based on what people are saying around this forum.

I think the clubs have a real solid sound (and feel) and I haven't heard anything like the "little league world series" sound mentioned previously.

Nice write up, thanks for sharing!

Welcome to THP and glad the JPX line is working out for you. Hopefully that hybrid comes along and just needs some getting use to and practice.

Maybe its the different shaft in the hybrid that's causing the difference??

I have the standard Exsar stiff shaft in my driver and have no complaints about it whatsoever so far!

I really liked the feel of this with the Fubuki today... not really that long but quite forgiving for me.

Back