Played a round with the 921 Forged. Loved them. My club's greens are pretty fast, around an 11, and had no trouble stopping the clubs on the green, but the greens were softer due to the recent rain.

With the 2018 Chrome soft truvis ball, got some backspin and pull back in the shorter irons and quick stops with the longer irons. And I hit 10 GIRs. Well struck shots feel soft. they are completely different from my cobra Forged TECs but the cobras feel nice too in a different way.

Just amazed that I hit the modus 120s as well as it better than my aerotech i95s.
I’m headed back to Club Champion to get the forged models.

last year I had my first child and with dropping rounds I sold off my excess golf stuff. I’ve always had two sets of clubs, my March - April clubs and then my summer clubs. Early season always being more of a Hot Metal Pro type to get the blood flowing and the 919 Tours for mid season peak play. Going from 110 rounds in 2018 to 5 rounds this summer the tours are brutal on my game.

I’ve had some good luck with the gap wedge (more so than other sets for sure) . It will likely get replaced by a zipcore but it’s been solid
I did some work at the range with the irons and yeah, you were right, the gap wedge can do whatever you ask of it, and feels SO soft.

My dad currently games the cleveland cbx irons and hit my 921Fs today and he’s enamored with them. Couldn’t believe how long, forgiving, and soft they are. Still compact, as well. These are the total package.

I did some work at the range with the irons and yeah, you were right, the gap wedge can do whatever you ask of it, and feels SO soft.

My dad currently games the cleveland cbx irons and hit my 921Fs today and he’s enamored with them. Couldn’t believe how long, forgiving, and soft they are. Still compact, as well. These are the total package.
And cheap too... custom set up for just over 1000 bucks, hard to beat that.

I’m headed back to Club Champion to get the forged models.

last year I had my first child and with dropping rounds I sold off my excess golf stuff. I’ve always had two sets of clubs, my March - April clubs and then my summer clubs. Early season always being more of a Hot Metal Pro type to get the blood flowing and the 919 Tours for mid season peak play. Going from 110 rounds in 2018 to 5 rounds this summer the tours are brutal on my game.
Best of both worlds with this iron. It’s low 50s here now and these irons perform like mid-Summer irons. Enjoy!

It’s a bit surprising from a set gap wedge these days (in my experience at least) but it’s been pretty great and plenty versatile.

After reading all the comments I'm going to have to revisit the the GW in the Forged if that is the direction I go. I know I didn't like it in the HMP. The more I look at the irons as an investment the more I see that it makes sense to pay for the Forged if that is what I really want. Maybe a good ole fashion shoot out with the HMB.

Summary of Canadan brain sample at select moments of last week;

Monday: 921 forged.
Tuesday: 921 forged.
Wednesday: 921 forged.
Thursday: 921 forged.
Friday: I hope everyone enjoys Off Course
Saturday: 921 forged.
Sunday: 921 forged.

Summary of Canadan brain sample at select moments of last week;

Monday: 921 forged.
Tuesday: 921 forged.
Wednesday: 921 forged.
Thursday: 921 forged.
Friday: I hope everyone enjoys Off Course
Saturday: 921 forged.
Sunday: 921 forged.
Accurate. I just want to be hitting them. Sucks that the weather is turning. I’m already so impressed by these clubs after just one on course and one range sesh. They are really fun.

After reading all the comments I'm going to have to revisit the the GW in the Forged if that is the direction I go. I know I didn't like it in the HMP. The more I look at the irons as an investment the more I see that it makes sense to pay for the Forged if that is what I really want. Maybe a good ole fashion shoot out with the HMB.

Or you can get the MP-20 Blade in the PW and GW to go with the HMB. I've already thought about it and the HMB's have not arrived... just tweak loft of HMB 9i and Blade

It’s getting harder and harder to resist with all the positive reviews in here.

1602979101643.gif

sort of a weird question lol

I kinda have my mindset on getting a 921 SEL, is it worth it to go get fit to find the best shaft if I already know which irons I want to get?

would likely end up going to TXG since they are the nearest fitter to me

or would it make more sense to just order them and go in for a distance review loft and lie adjustments rather than a fitting since I already know which irons I want?

It's the Chromoly ... addictive power.

How long were you quoted on delivery? You ordered 2 weeks ago?

My order goes on Monday but the rep told my fitter they had received in a lot of JPX and were caught up, but somehow I doubt that.

chromoly must be for real tho. I got ball speeds that apex CF19, T100s, P790 did not. Was surprised.

How long were you quoted on delivery? You ordered 2 weeks ago?

My order goes on Monday but the rep told my fitter they had received in a lot of JPX and were caught up, but somehow I doubt that.

chromoly must be for real tho. I got ball speeds that apex CF19, T100s, P790 did not. Was surprised.

Was fitted on Oct 6 ... heads may not have come in until this week. Not in a hurry. I am playing 919F and have some 919 HMP's. Working on my downswing and speed. Have time and a 2 hr lesson next weekend. In Texas, so I can play all year.

sort of a weird question lol

I kinda have my mindset on getting a 921 SEL, is it worth it to go get fit to find the best shaft if I already know which irons I want to get?

would likely end up going to TXG since they are the nearest fitter to me

or would it make more sense to just order them and go in for a distance review loft and lie adjustments rather than a fitting since I already know which irons I want?

I feel like I would if I didn't know most of what they're offering well, or do club work. The SEL sets I've seen have had $Taper 120 and one had Modus 120 S, but I feel like a lot of online retailers would offer quite a few options, much less custom shops. The shaft can make quite a difference on if you get the most out of a head or not. We're all different, but I find that even more true with combo sets.

And honestly, if I had that specific fitting resource near me, I'd be all about experiencing that.

I feel like I would if I didn't know most of what they're offering well, or do club work. The SEL sets I've seen have had $Taper 120 and one had Modus 120 S, but I feel like a lot of online retailers would offer quite a few options, much less custom shops. The shaft can make quite a difference on if you get the most out of a head or not. We're all different, but I find that even more true with combo sets.

And honestly, if I had that specific fitting resource near me, I'd be all about experiencing that.

Ok, ya i was leaning to that side because i wanted to go to TXG anyways, wasnt sure is it was the smartest approach.

Don’t really have time to go thru the round at the moment, but just broke 80 for the first time ever and the Mizzies were key. Will post up later. 39/39!!!!!:)

Dude, that is a huge milestone! Congrats!!

Don’t really have time to go thru the round at the moment, but just broke 80 for the first time ever and the Mizzies were key. Will post up later. 39/39!!!!!:)
It only gets better, it’s a mental barrier... now you’ve done it, you’re aware you can do it, and it will come easier and easier down the road. Congrats man!

Dude, that is a huge milestone! Congrats!!
Thanks dude!
It only gets better, it’s a mental barrier... now you’ve done it, you’re aware you can do it, and it will come easier and easier down the road. Congrats man!
I think so, as well. I kept pushing and pushing. Today was 50* and sunny and I just let it come to me. Didn’t have “A” game yet still did it.

so these irons are just so good. The HMP 4 iron is becoming something I can really trust , both on the tee on long par 3s and approaches into par 5s. I’m stunned at how good it feels for a cast club, and it’s just a breeze to hit.

Shots that stuck out:

stuck a forged 6i on my medium 190 par three to about 10 ft , such predictable roll out.

Kick in birdie from the forged 8iron , ball even danced a little bit, 163 pin.

I shortsided myself on 18 due to a really gnarly lie. Had to chip one over a bunker and try to stop it. Used the forged set gap wedge for a little check up shot and it did exactly what I wanted, made the putt to save par.

the irons are so smooth, powerful, shapeable , soft, sexy, and pretty damn easy to hit.

I loved my apex combo set a lot, but I’m so stoked about these clubs. Confidence is sky high and that’s a great feeling to take into the winter months.

Last edited:
Thanks dude!

I think so, as well. I kept pushing and pushing. Today was 50* and sunny and I just let it come to me. Didn’t have “A” game yet still did it.

so these irons are just so good. The HMP 4 iron is becoming something I can really trust , both on the tee on long par 3s and approaches into par 5s. I’m stunned at how good it feels for a cast club, and it’s just a breeze to hit.

Shots that stuck out:

stuck a forged 6i on my medium 190 par three to about 10 ft , such predictable roll out.

Kick in birdie from the forged 8iron , ball even danced a little bit, 163 pin.

I shortsided myself on 18 due to a really gnarly lie. Had to chip one over a bunker and try to stop it. Used the forged set gap wedge for a little check up shot and it did exactly what I wanted, made the putt to save par.

the irons are so smooth, powerful, shareable, soft, sexy, and pretty damn easy to hit.

I loved my apex combo set a lot, but I’m so stoked about these clubs. Confidence is sky high and that’s a great feeling to take into the winter months.
Very nice. What's your set split/lofts?

Cross posting this from another thread, since I somehow didn't post anything about my JPX921 experience in the JPX921 thread!!!

51 weeks later than originally scheduled, I finally had my fitting!!!

I am a soon to be 41 year old, father of 2 (2.5 yr old and a 3 month old).
Maybe 5-6 rounds this year total. 3 or 4 times at the range.
Used to play more, a lot more. Every night of the week more.
Handicap has fluctuated over the years, but sitting now at an even 10 again.

I ended up getting fit into a set of Mizuno JPX921 Hot Metals, at the GolfTec in Winnipeg MB.

After my warmup and baseline swings, the heads were brought out, and I was asked if I had preferences based on look, headshape, finish.
I had none..... wanting to base it solely on performance.

So to start, my Wilson Staff C200, with Regular Flex Aldila Rogue graphite shafts:
Ball Speed: 99 mph
Back Spin: 6755 rpm
Launch: 25.33 degrees
Offline: 8.3 yards
Descent: 49.67 degrees
Distance: 132.7 yards

This was a shocker for me. For years, I had been a "150 yard 7 iron" player. It was the main constant.
I've based all of my yardages off of it. 132.7 yards on the monitor opened my eyes. Wow.

Now the recurring theme of the fitting was trying to get my launch down, and decrease the backspin.
The swing was consistent throughout the entire fitting. Eerily similar. Easy to see a change quickly when there was one.

Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal, Nippon NS Pro Modus Tour 105 R. One swing in, and we knew.
Higher ballspeed. Lower Spin. Lowest Launch.
Ball Speed: 105 mph
Back Spin: 5325 rpm
Launch: 23.00 degrees
Offline: 3.8 yards
Descent: 47.75 degrees
Distance: 146.3 yards

The changes?
+6 mph
-1430 rpm backspin
-2.3 degrees launch
-4.5 yards offline
-1.9 degrees descent
+13.6 yards distance

20201004_155041.jpg

After this, I went back and hit my C200 again. Same results as the baseline. I just needed to know lol.

So, I said originally I had no preferences. I was going to let the performance dictate.
In reality though, back of my mind, I wanted Mizuno. I just didn't think they would be the choice.
I didn't care what it was, but I hoped it would be Mizuno.

By the time we had settled on the 921 Hot Metal, and had additional swings mulling a shaft change
(NS Pro Modus Tour 105 vs Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH NEO), that was my session.

I was given suggestions of a tweak I could consider to get the Launch down, and we were all finished up.
I packed up my gear, and set out on the 2 hour drive home.

The ride home gave me a lot of time to think.
I had inquired about other Mizuno heads, didn't end up hitting them, with the fitter's belief that the Hot Metal was the right choice.

My intention over the winter is to get into GolfTown and attempt to hit all the JPX921 heads, and give it a go with as many shafts as I can. I really want to hit some graphite options more than anything. The main goal, try and lower my stupid high launch angle numbers, and keep the spin at a reasonable rate.

Back