Cross posting this from another thread, since I somehow didn't post anything about my JPX921 experience in the JPX921 thread!!!

51 weeks later than originally scheduled, I finally had my fitting!!!

I am a soon to be 41 year old, father of 2 (2.5 yr old and a 3 month old).
Maybe 5-6 rounds this year total. 3 or 4 times at the range.
Used to play more, a lot more. Every night of the week more.
Handicap has fluctuated over the years, but sitting now at an even 10 again.

I ended up getting fit into a set of Mizuno JPX921 Hot Metals, at the GolfTec in Winnipeg MB.

After my warmup and baseline swings, the heads were brought out, and I was asked if I had preferences based on look, headshape, finish.
I had none..... wanting to base it solely on performance.

So to start, my Wilson Staff C200, with Regular Flex Aldila Rogue graphite shafts:
Ball Speed: 99 mph
Back Spin: 6755 rpm
Launch: 25.33 degrees
Offline: 8.3 yards
Descent: 49.67 degrees
Distance: 132.7 yards

This was a shocker for me. For years, I had been a "150 yard 7 iron" player. It was the main constant.
I've based all of my yardages off of it. 132.7 yards on the monitor opened my eyes. Wow.

Now the recurring theme of the fitting was trying to get my launch down, and decrease the backspin.
The swing was consistent throughout the entire fitting. Eerily similar. Easy to see a change quickly when there was one.

Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal, Nippon NS Pro Modus Tour 105 R. One swing in, and we knew.
Higher ballspeed. Lower Spin. Lowest Launch.
Ball Speed: 105 mph
Back Spin: 5325 rpm
Launch: 23.00 degrees
Offline: 3.8 yards
Descent: 47.75 degrees
Distance: 146.3 yards

The changes?
+6 mph
-1430 rpm backspin
-2.3 degrees launch
-4.5 yards offline
-1.9 degrees descent
+13.6 yards distance

20201004_155041.jpg

After this, I went back and hit my C200 again. Same results as the baseline. I just needed to know lol.

So, I said originally I had no preferences. I was going to let the performance dictate.
In reality though, back of my mind, I wanted Mizuno. I just didn't think they would be the choice.
I didn't care what it was, but I hoped it would be Mizuno.

By the time we had settled on the 921 Hot Metal, and had additional swings mulling a shaft change
(NS Pro Modus Tour 105 vs Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH NEO), that was my session.

I was given suggestions of a tweak I could consider to get the Launch down, and we were all finished up.
I packed up my gear, and set out on the 2 hour drive home.

The ride home gave me a lot of time to think.
I had inquired about other Mizuno heads, didn't end up hitting them, with the fitter's belief that the Hot Metal was the right choice.

My intention over the winter is to get into GolfTown and attempt to hit all the JPX921 heads, and give it a go with as many shafts as I can. I really want to hit some graphite options more than anything. The main goal, try and lower my stupid high launch angle numbers, and keep the spin at a reasonable rate.
That looks like a giant win for the 921s, thanks for sharing! Getting that launch down should help a bit but those numbers are pretty darn good

What's the word on the Tours? Who's been playing them? How you liking them? You got some rounds in with them before you headed back to the studio, right @Canadan ? How do they rate?

What's the word on the Tours? Who's been playing them? How you liking them? You got some rounds in with them before you headed back to the studio, right @Canadan ? How do they rate?
I enjoyed them immensely. Significant improvement on all boxes from 919 for me personally, especially on profile and sound.

I vainly want to have an 8-G sitting around to combo up if I am ever feeling really good about my game. But the forged are so damn good, I’ve realized i don’t need to.

I got the chance to hit my buddies Hot Metal Pro 5 iron yesterday, it's 22° so the same loft as my Titleist 710MB 3 iron.
I hit 3 shots and the best way to describe it is effortless power. As soon as I hit the first one you can feel the power similar to the sensation of my pured 3 iron, I'm not sure how pure it was but it was very long down the range with a beautiful climbing ball flight that seemed to go forever and then come down quite sharply. The second one was exactly the same. The feel is amazing, I wasn't expecting it at all.
The third shot was a very lazy swing where I cut it and the feel was not good! Haha
I would love to hit some more shots to get an idea of how big the sweetspot is, obviously playing blades for the last 11 years I'm quite consistent with my striking but the feel from those first two shots was outstanding.
I'm quite sure that I will be adding the HMP 4 iron into the bag as a driving iron to replace my 710mb 3 iron. At 19° and so easy to hit and such good feel I'm sure it'll be a great addition.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

A few weeks in and I would rate them very highly. Love the look at address. Bag appeal is off the charts.

Very solid feel but also soft at the same time. Quite forgiving on shots all over the face and I've gotten away with a few very bad strikes.

I'm yet to hit a shot longer than I expected which was the exact reason why I got out of the Apex 19's, I got sick of missing greens long for absolutely no reason.

Only negative is that I got them fitted with Tour Velvet Cords which I am not really enjoying. About to regrip with Tour Velvet 360's or MCC+4 which I enjoyed on my last set.

I wish club champion had testing options outside of the 6 iron... how can I make a true blended set if I can’t see numbers from specific irons? Oh yeah, I’m not on tour lol

Finally had a chance to watch the video. I went to hit some irons today as it may be time to update my irons and was wanting to like the Mavrik Pros, but we didn't get along. I hit the P790s and Titleist T200s really well, but now the Hot Metal Pros are calling my name.

I got to hit the full set of 921 Forged today in between dialing in a driver order, and they really are impressive. They continue to not quite suit me, but there are things about them I absolutely love, besides the feel.

The look at address in the short irons is shockingly good for how long the blade length is in the rest. Like, other makers need to take a lesson good, imo. For how wide the soles and cavity are they come off looking pretty clean and compact. Good flights and numbers. Big fan. 4i numbers were real juicy too. I just feel like those irons are going to be really good for a lot of people. Strong-ish lofts, lower spin, and good scoring clubs is a strong combination. I really like hitting them. Seems like an HMP for the first couple and forged after would be a pretty versatile set for someone in that range, and like a Tour combo with them doesn't seem as necessary for someone wanting to go more towards that route.

Last edited:
Played a round with the 921 Forged. Loved them. My club's greens are pretty fast, around an 11, and had no trouble stopping the clubs on the green, but the greens were softer due to the recent rain.

With the 2018 Chrome soft truvis ball, got some backspin and pull back in the shorter irons and quick stops with the longer irons. And I hit 10 GIRs. Well struck shots feel soft. they are completely different from my cobra Forged TECs but the cobras feel nice too in a different way.

Just amazed that I hit the modus 120s as well as it better than my aerotech i95s.
Which version of the Forged Tecs are you playing? What differences are you seeing on distance, forgiveness etc between the 921 Forged and the Cobras?

Always been an iron blade player. Drivers are good, but always prefered Irons

Which version of the Forged Tecs are you playing? What differences are you seeing on distance, forgiveness etc between the 921 Forged and the Cobras?
2020 Forged TECs. Similar distance, but like what was seen at club champion, maybe a 2 to 3 yard increase with the 921s, maybe due to less spin, not sure why.

Haven't had any issues holding greens with either club.

I'm getting better strikes with the 921s but that could be that the Modus 120s are a better fit for me than the steel fibers in the FTs.

Forgiveness is similar although low strikes are less painful and go a little farther on the 921s.

Feel and sound are very different. Forged TECs on a pure strike feel and sound like more of a soft pop or soft crack.

921s on a pure strike feel and sound like a soft thud. On some pure strikes it barely feels like you've hit the ball, much quieter but you can tell when you've crushed it.

Both are good feeling just different.

But performance wise I've found enough of a difference that I've switched to the Mizunos. My approach GIRs have gained 2-3 strokes, not sure why. I guess confidence matters.

Last edited:
Good interview with Chris Voshall on Mizuno's YouTube channel. The forging process for 4120 requires 3 progressive dies instead of 2 for 1025E. Pretty cool. o_O

921forging.png

I just wrapped up a fitting between the 921 Forged and the PXG Gen 3 P irons. Both were fitted with the Nippon 950GH and numbers were really close, PXG had roughly one MPH ball speed greater but that’s a moot. For me it came down to feel, the PXG are softer and have a more traditional feel vs the 921. I wouldn’t say the 921 had the “clicky” feel of a cast club but it didn’t have the soft feel of a traditional forged club. Just my 2 cents though.

I was torn because for what is essentially double the price was feel worth that extra cake?

Chris Voshall discussing engineering the sound appeal of the 921 Tours in the video I just posted above.

921toursound.png

I got to hit the Hot Metal Pros today and serious ponder is engaged. It may just be a final decision on shaft and set make up at this point.

2020 Forged TECs. Similar distance, but like what was seen at club champion, maybe a 2 to 3 yard increase with the 921s, maybe due to less spin, not sure why.

Haven't had any issues holding greens with either club.

I'm getting better strikes with the 921s but that could be that the Modus 120s are a better fit for me than the steel fibers in the FTs.

Forgiveness is similar although low strikes are less painful and go a little farther on the 921s.

Feel and sound are very different. Forged TECs on a pure strike feel and sound like more of a soft pop or soft crack.

921s on a pure strike feel and sound like a soft thud. On some pure strikes it barely feels like you've hit the ball, much quieter but you can tell when you've crushed it.

Both are good feeling just different.

But performance wise I've found enough of a difference that I've switched to the Mizunos. My approach GIRs have gained 2-3 strokes, not sure why. I guess confidence matters.
Thank you.Im still using the original 2015/16 Forged Tec and looking for a change (not sure why). I've a fitting booked with Mizuno tomorrow afternoon so will see what that throws up. Again thanks for taking the time to reply.

I’m still waiting......for mine.......#sadanxiousdays

I’m still waiting......for mine.......#sadanxiousdays

Heads may be an issue. Mine had not arrived to clubmakers as of last week - HMB's. They were in transit ...

Heads may be an issue. Mine had not arrived to clubmakers as of last week - HMB's. They were in transit ...

Just got a text - he is assembling the HMB's now.

I just wrapped up a fitting between the 921 Forged and the PXG Gen 3 P irons. Both were fitted with the Nippon 950GH and numbers were really close, PXG had roughly one MPH ball speed greater but that’s a moot. For me it came down to feel, the PXG are softer and have a more traditional feel vs the 921. I wouldn’t say the 921 had the “clicky” feel of a cast club but it didn’t have the soft feel of a traditional forged club. Just my 2 cents though.

I was torn because for what is essentially double the price was feel worth that extra cake?

Chromoly is a harder alloy but forged. As to OEM build and price - if I were doing it that way, I would not pay 2X price. Well, only if I planned to keep them 4-5 years or so. But a custom Mizuno set with a fitting by a sole proprietor custom clubmaker with other than OEM shafts is $200-300/club. But you get the guy who is OCD about getting the assembly perfectly built. So price is relative to what you are getting. Good luck with the PXG - nice clubs.

So the 770's won the battle for you?
I didn't like the sound of the 921s compared to the much more solid sound of the 770s. That being said, I have not settled on the 770s as, I think theyre very good looking, but I just don't love them. So far 3 rounds in, and although I did shoot a great round yesterday, I just don't see them really replacing my beloved Cobras. So now I'll be ordering the new King Tours to give them a run for their money.

Back