the way I understand it is that the Forged are the first iron to be forged from chromoly materials. Those smarter than I can correct me if I’m wrong.

I was confused when the hosel of my MP20 HMB said chromology forged

I was going to hit the 921 Forged and some potential combos today but I got distracted. I'm heading back this weekend to fix that.

the way I understand it is that the Forged are the first iron to be forged from chromoly materials. Those smarter than I can correct me if I’m wrong.

MP 20 HMB was the first with forged Chromoly but only the face and neck are forged Chromoly. The back of the hollow body is stainless steel.

COMPLEX, LOFT SPECIFIC CONSTRUCTION
Our multi-thickness Grain Flow Forged Chromoly (2-8 iron face and neck) is dialed in to be consistently hot across the clubface. Twin 12g Tungsten weights (2-7 iron) deliver stability and an easy launch. A softer 1025E Pure select mild carbon steel makes the short irons (9/pw) soft and responsive.

The 921F would be the first full iron head wholly of Chromoly forged.

921 HMP are definitely on my radar

If you need the forgiveness, the HMP are definitely doable. But I compared the length of the faces of the MP 20 HMB and 919 HMP - and voila, from heel to toe, about the same. So do not fear the HMB. At least take a look.

I have now played 27 handicapped rounds with the 921 Tours in the bag, along with a few practice rounds and a fair bit of range time.

My handicap has dropped 3.4 shots which I can largely attribute to these clubs along with some short game improvement.

What I have enjoyed the most is how consistent the 921 Tours have been for me. I am extremely confident with distances and absolutely never miss long. When it comes to consistency these clubs deliver. What has surprised me the most is how forgiving these clubs are. The soles get through the turf with ease making it very difficult to hit a heavy shot that loses carry. The clubs do let you know when you've hit it poorly, and my game is benefiting from the feedback, but on bad strikes I do not feel that the distance drop off is any different to my previous clubs (Apex 19) which are apparently meant to be game improvement clubs.

I still feel they are the best looking irons on the market that are not blades. The look at address is amazing and bag appeal is off the charts.

Only negatives are what I paired the 921 Tour heads with. I'm not a fan of the Tour Velvet Cords and will likely regrip. The Project X 6.5 shafts are delivering very tight dispersion, but I would like to experiment with some options ~5g lighter and a little less stiff.

I've got an order in for a set of Srixon ZX7's with KBS $ Taper 120 Stiff shafts. They will go straight in the bag when they arrive, but I think it will be very tough to keep the 921 Tours out of my bag for too long.

I was going to hit the 921 Forged and some potential combos today but I got distracted. I'm heading back this weekend to fix that.

Tub spout broke last night and I had to go to Home Depot first thing this AM, which happens to right next to the golf store. Had a fun little session, here are 6-8 shot averages from some contenders:

5F1B3C8B-2877-4205-B85E-401AB9F73785.jpeg

Last edited:
Tub spout broke last night and I had to go to Home Depot first thing this AM, which happens to right next to the golf store. Had a fun little session, here are 6-8 shot averages from some contenders:

View attachment 8983096

So much roll. GC must have been set to simulate hard fairways.

Finally set up a net in my garage to practise the rest of winter. Why do I suck so bad hitting off a mat?? When I do make a good swing/contact the 921 forged feel awesome. I’m not giving up though, I have a cheap mat which i’m sure doesn’t help

Last edited:
Finally set up a net in my garage to practise the rest of winter. Why do I suck so bad hitting off a mat?? When I do make a food swing/contact the 921 forged feel awesome. I’m not giving up though, I have a cheap mat which one m sure doesn’t help

Opportunity to work on eliminating the fats and thins. A tough habit to break, assuming that's the issue.

Spent time with the forged 7i today. It is the club in this jpx921 lineup that I feel should be a good fit for me; however, I have preferred both the tour and HMP in previous hitting sessions. Feel/sound is satisfying. I get about 10 yards more carry compared to my mmc's, more than I would expect from 1* loft difference. Forged is also about 1K lower spinning and spin varies a bit more. Forged is more forgiving. There is a lot to like. Distance control could be a small concern. Very interesting club. I still lean toward Tour and think the HMP is right there with the forged, at least when hitting 7i. More testing needed.

Last edited:
I ordered a set of 921 forged on the 17th November after a fitting with Mizuno here in Thailand. Their Rep said 20 - 30 days delivery, being Asia I guessed it would be on the longer side of his estimate. 2 weeks ago I received a message they had shipped from Japan and expect to receive them around the 25th December. Yesterday the Rep finally spoke and said they still have not left Japan and more than likely will not ship until the 4th January. The delay I can accept, new product line, covid etc etc, what really annoys me is being told they had left the factory in Japan when they haven't left Japan. I'm supposed to be travelling to Europe around the 8th for a couple of months work, so I won't even be here to receive them.
Apologies for the rant.

Since being fit into the 921 Hot Metals (but I didn't get to hit anything else in the line), I've been wondering:

Why don't the Hot Metals factor more into the decision when people are choosing from the Mizuno JPX-921 Lineup?
It seems like everyone jumps right to the Hot Metal Pros, the Tours, and the Forged.

What is the draw to the other models over the Hot Metals?

I still want to try the other models, but wonder if it will just leave me confused about the original fitting.

Since being fit into the 921 Hot Metals (but I didn't get to hit anything else in the line), I've been wondering:

Why don't the Hot Metals factor more into the decision when people are choosing from the Mizuno JPX-921 Lineup?
It seems like everyone jumps right to the Hot Metal Pros, the Tours, and the Forged.

I still want to try the other models, but wonder if it will just leave me confused about the original fitting.
People fear forgiveness.
Mizuno fans tend to lean towards less forgiving.
HMPs are spectacular irons.

There's probably way too many reasons, but I also think that is a nice compliment to a product like HMP.

View attachment 8983096

Are those all the same club??

its natural on online forums with hardcore equipment people, but they will be the number one selling iron if I was a betting man.

My Hot Metal Pro 4 iron arrived!
Quite excited to get out there and try it against the club its replacing but it's started snowing! Just my luck.
As a recap it's replacing my Titleist 710MB 3 iron which is 21°, the HMP 4 iron is 19° so I should be getting slightly more distance based off loft and tech.
I bought it for forgiveness off the tee, I hit the 710mb well most of the time but I wanted a more forgiving club that I felt more comfortable with when under pressure.
Anyway I've got a few pictures, you can see it's a huge size difference. I've got a pic showing the HMP's 'junk in the trunk'. It doesn't bother me but I haven't hit any shots with it yet so we'll see.
In general though it's a great looking club, you can see the baffles for audible tuning to improve the feel. Can't wait to get out there!
08d12f31c6b5734a9b12ee20a4acfd56.jpg
4bfbb4c1d0148f2de15200455adb95fc.jpg
a800e5740e82810275e62be033685e94.jpg
4075de5702b8e2dd85d4178572852058.jpg

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

My Hot Metal Pro 4 iron arrived!
Quite excited to get out there and try it against the club its replacing but it's started snowing! Just my luck.
As a recap it's replacing my Titleist 710MB 3 iron which is 21°, the HMP 4 iron is 19° so I should be getting slightly more distance based off loft and tech.
I bought it for forgiveness off the tee, I hit the 710mb well most of the time but I wanted a more forgiving club that I felt more comfortable with when under pressure.
Anyway I've got a few pictures, you can see it's a huge size difference. I've got a pic showing the HMP's 'junk in the trunk'. It doesn't bother me but I haven't hit any shots with it yet so we'll see.
In general though it's a great looking club, you can see the baffles for audible tuning to improve the feel. Can't wait to get out there!
08d12f31c6b5734a9b12ee20a4acfd56.jpg
4bfbb4c1d0148f2de15200455adb95fc.jpg
a800e5740e82810275e62be033685e94.jpg
4075de5702b8e2dd85d4178572852058.jpg

I’m interested to hear your thoughts. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do. The 4i definitely has more junk in the trunk than what I was used to, but it’s a beast of an iron and I don’t find the little extra distracting.

I’m interested to hear your thoughts. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do. The 4i definitely has more junk in the trunk than what I was used to, but it’s a beast of an iron and I don’t find the little extra distracting.
I've booked in to play on Thursday, hopefully the course is open again then.
I can't wait to get out there. Haha

Interesting data on the 921 forged Vs. HMB

1609294801133.png

Back