Mizunos are just amazing looking this year..so well done

Curious....for those considering the Forged......why not the Hot metal Pros? Or vice versa?

Curious....for those considering the Forged......why not the Hot metal Pros? Or vice versa?

Think I would consider a blended set of HMPs in the long irons and Forged in the lower ones.

Think I would consider a blended set of HMPs in the long irons and Forged in the lower ones.
Is that even needed? The HMP short irons look pretty good....

A little update on my 921 thoughts after several rounds under my belt

- Not to sound like a broken record, but the feel is so good with these irons. I thought the CF-19 Apex pros felt great when struck well, but the Mizunos are another level imo.
- No hard numbers other than on course results, but I am at least 1/2 longer through the bag and might be a full club longer in the 5-7 irons. The HMP's are so easy to hit and appear to be retaining ball speeds really well on off center hits
- Dispersion is better as well. I am not sure if that is because the 921's are not spinning as much as my CF-19's or the switch to Recoils, but I am seeing tighter results on well struck shots and shots off center are not as offline.
- The HMP's have some forgiveness packed into them. They are the easiest long irons I have ever hit. At address some of that is visible, but nothing that bugs me. I can see how that could bug others.
- Whatever is going on with the sole is working. Turf interaction is really good, even on some heavy shots. These irons get through the turf really well and while not quite on the level of the VSole that Srixon offers, these do really well. I've played on some dormant and very thin/hard bermuda the last couple of rounds, and these irons had no issues allowing me to make the contact I want/needed.

A little update on my 921 thoughts after several rounds under my belt

- Not to sound like a broken record, but the feel is so good with these irons. I thought the CF-19 Apex pros felt great when struck well, but the Mizunos are another level imo.
- No hard numbers other than on course results, but I am at least 1/2 longer through the bag and might be a full club longer in the 5-7 irons. The HMP's are so easy to hit and appear to be retaining ball speeds really well on off center hits
- Dispersion is better as well. I am not sure if that is because the 921's are not spinning as much as my CF-19's or the switch to Recoils, but I am seeing tighter results on well struck shots and shots off center are not as offline.
- The HMP's have some forgiveness packed into them. They are the easiest long irons I have ever hit. At address some of that is visible, but nothing that bugs me. I can see how that could bug others.
- Whatever is going on with the sole is working. Turf interaction is really good, even on some heavy shots. These irons get through the turf really well and while not quite on the level of the VSole that Srixon offers, these do really well. I've played on some dormant and very thin/hard bermuda the last couple of rounds, and these irons had no issues allowing me to make the contact I want/needed.

Nice to read the ongoing positive update. I think your mix of forged (P-8) with HMP (7-5) is genius. You are getting the soft 1025E in the forged and chromoly boom and forgiveness with the HMP after that. It is a tempting setup for me. My only concern is distance. Forged are a club longer than my current irons. I have a hard time processing how that would work with wedges.

Nice to read the ongoing positive update. I think your mix of forged (P-8) with HMP (7-5) is genius. You are getting the soft 1025E in the forged and chromoly boom and forgiveness with the HMP after that. It is a tempting setup for me. My only concern is distance. Forged are a club longer than my current irons. I have a hard time processing how that would work with wedges.

for a higher swing speed player I can definitely see the distance jump. For me, even with the slight jump in distance, it hasn't made me alter my wedges. I also don't full swing my wedges so I am probably a player where the extra yardages is welcomed and rely on my short game to clean anything up.

I continue to wonder the same thing myself. Almost everybody who tries both seems to get better numbers with the HMPs. They are less expensive, too.

For me, the Forged has an overall sleeker profile which suits my eye. I know it’s just a matter of a millimetre or so but it’s a millimetre in all directions. The feel difference is not as much of a concern having played the 919F and 919HMP in the past. In fitting, the 921F had better standard deviation in ball speed, spin and distance. Front to back dispersion was better by 4 yards but left/right dispersion was 1 yard worse than HMP.

For me, the Forged has an overall sleeker profile which suits my eye. I know it’s just a matter of a millimetre or so but it’s a millimetre in all directions. The feel difference is not as much of a concern having played the 919F and 919HMP in the past. In fitting, the 921F had better standard deviation in ball speed, spin and distance. Front to back dispersion was better by 4 yards but left/right dispersion was 1 yard worse than HMP.
That is super interesting because stark different than mine. Were you comparing deviation on all shots or just good ones?

I think I need to go take some swings with this lineup....soon

I think I need to go take some swings with this lineup....soon
I think you are going to like a couple of them

That is super interesting because stark different than mine. Were you comparing deviation on all shots or just good ones?
Only gross mishits were removed. The numbers generally favoured the Forged shot to shot. Forged just felt more comfortable. The front to back and left/right numbers I posted were based off the averages for each club hitting session.

I may be doing a thing .....

During my fitting dispersion was better and my spin was higher which lead to less rollout with the Forged. I was longer with the HMP over the forged, which in turn were approximately 9 yards longer than my current clubs.

So I got out there today and it was cold. Just above freezing, 2°C/35°F. So as you can imagine not ideal, plus the snow had melted so it was very boggy underfoot.
Anyway to be fair that's how it's been since I got Shotscope so at least it's a fair comparison, all carry and no roll.

Tbh I really struggled to hit the centre of the club, I kept hitting it heelside. I think this is because my blades are so much shorter in terms of blade length compared to the HMP.

It was quite funny though as the very first shot, which came out of the heel, ended up being the exact same length as my longest strike with my 710MB 3 iron. If that's not an endorsement for forgiveness then I don't know what is! Haha

I think once I get used to it and start to strike it then it's really going to come into its own. My previous longest in these conditions with the 710MB was 209 yards, on the last hole today I struck one right out of the centre and got 227 yards and that was solid carry as I picked it out of its pitch mark.

I can't really say anything for feel etc because it was so cold. What I can say is that it seems to be ridiculously forgiving in terms of distance from all over the face.
So far I'm really pleased and reckon it'll be quite easy to develop consistency with it.
2f5f1d54df785de52dfa6e371ac502b4.jpg
020adcffce55a5361dd009d952ded23b.jpg

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Okay so I have been hitting my 921 forged into the net in my garage and I think I may have picked the wrong shaft. When getting fit (using this term very loosely) it came down to the modus 120 and project x lz. The lz’s were a bit less spin and the launch was a degree or 2 less with a flatter ball flight and distance was a few yards longer carry. This was done with just the 7 iron, I am not enjoying the feeling of these with the lz’s for some reason and my distance is down. I should have stayed with the modus as I played them all last year and really enjoyed the performance and feel of them. The fact that the LZ shafts were the blackouts was one of the final deciding factors. I will try these on grass this spring and if they don’t work out I will either move them or re-shaft them. Absolutely love the look of them though

Hard to argue with stats, these are winter numbers so more or less pure carry. I state that because it makes the comparison fair but more importantly I am excited to see what bombs will be produced in the summer.

Today I was really getting my strike out of the centre and the distance was fantastic. More importantly the accuracy speaks for itself. I guess when you look at the numbers it makes you realise how tough it is to play a blade 3 iron with any consistency, I wasn't missing the fairway by loads but a miss is a miss. The distance gain is quite frankly ridiculous, I don't know what more to add.

Super pleased I went this route.
Excited to see what adding more forgiving irons throughout the bag will do for my game.

25a388770f174ff15ddd2d5a86540f05.jpg
43955bd532700f0d20ea61998a0a60b7.jpg

Nothing like some testing to validate your feeling and getting the results you thought you would. Sometimes its just plain nice to get a win with a club change on a hunch. My testing on new clubs is always done in the sim where available, but ultimately the real test is on the course and that is where the true validation on what you got from the sim in confirmed.

As much as I love the HMP's...the gap wedge is not a very good compliment to this set. May be time to move it out of the bag.

What didn't you like about the GW?

The AW or GW is just not a good club for me. I never seem to get the distance I expect out of that club. Plus as nice as the set is, the one Mizuno designed for this set just isn’t that great looking.

I’m leaning HMP aggressively for 2021. I love the Forged feel and performance, but I feel like the HMP are just them on steroids.

The AW or GW is just not a good club for me. I never seem to get the distance I expect out of that club. Plus as nice as the set is, the one Mizuno designed for this set just isn’t that great looking.

This is helpful, thanks. Probably lean 5-PW if I go the HMP route.

Back