Super pleased with these right now. It’s more forgiving than I usually play, but the look is so “right” that I’ve been able to truly settle in.

They’ll be a ton of fun until the end of July! 👀

Looking forward to your thoughts on these. I think you will really like them.
And I did! Picked up these beauties today and grabbed the hat. 20210313_133309.jpg

I am like 99.9% sure I am just going to order a stock set. I had two steel shafts recommended, negligible difference between the two (2nd choice is the stock shaft). Fit for 1/4" short...... I did the fitting with standard length, I play standard length now.......

Curious if I can actually just grab a set off the shelves in store.

I have a 9.9/10 set for sale if interested

So yesterday I drove the two hours over to pick-up my 921's.
I was able to hit the Mizuno's with their launch monitor to get some base numbers for length on each club. My first swing with the 7 iron had a carry of 168 and total of 178. I asked him is this for real?
"Yes it is he replied". So I hit each club 5 times and wrote down the carry numbers and averaged them for a base for when I'm out on the course.
My trepidation on the X Stiff shafts disappeared quickly and was hitting some pretty solid shots. My other concern was the possible gaping problem from the 8 iron HM and the 9 iron HM pros. But it appears to gap rather well.

So on the drive back my thoughts on the extra distances had me thinking on how that might translate to the course. In the past, I always seem to hit it further on their launch monitor than I do in real Life. So when I got back to the Village I stopped at the Magellan Course and was pleasantly surprised to see we can now hit off the grass instead of Mats.

So I hit another 10 balls with each club. And determined I'm about 5 to ten yards longer on 5, 6, 7 & 8, not 15 to 20 yards off of grass. And I was just slightly longer with the Pros. As I was finishing up I noticed the first tee was open and a twosome was teeing off of # 2. So I asked if I could play nine and I was off. After the first hole I would use one ball to Drive with then on the second shots I would hit two balls to get some real course distances.

I drove the ball very well yesterday so most of the time I was in or just off the fairway. In those cases I would hit one off the fairway and one out of the rough. So I just kept score on the best ball as a lot of shots are blind to see on the raised greens. High-lite of the round came on the par 5 13th. I was in the left rough and had about 185 yards to carry over the pond. The hole was designed for a layup I think with a long semi circle around the pond. So I used my Apex Pro 5 hybrid and hit just short of the pin, hit the stick and ricocheted just off the green. Then hit the 6 iron and came up just short of the green but over the water. Then chipped in with the Gap wedge for Eagle.:banana:

While not an official score I ended with a potentcial 79 which I would always be with, considering the first time I played this course I shot an 120. Ten years ago. I'm happy I listened to my fitter and am happy with this purchase. I thought it might take awhile to adjust to the heavier and stiffer shafts. But as I played it was never in my thoughts, just what distance I can hit this club.

On a funny note as I was checking out with some balls and the hat. One of the staff asked " Where did you get that"? "Over there and I got the last one." :cool: He says " I'm a Mizuno staffer and I don't even have a hat. In fact I did't even know we had them". My gain.

So yesterday I drove the two hours over to pick-up my 921's.
I was able to hit the Mizuno's with their launch monitor to get some base numbers for length on each club. My first swing with the 7 iron had a carry of 168 and total of 178. I asked him is this for real?
"Yes it is he replied". So I hit each club 5 times and wrote down the carry numbers and averaged them for a base for when I'm out on the course.
My trepidation on the X Stiff shafts disappeared quickly and was hitting some pretty solid shots. My other concern was the possible gaping problem from the 8 iron HM and the 9 iron HM pros. But it appears to gap rather well.

So on the drive back my thoughts on the extra distances had me thinking on how that might translate to the course. In the past, I always seem to hit it further on their launch monitor than I do in real Life. So when I got back to the Village I stopped at the Magellan Course and was pleasantly surprised to see we can now hit off the grass instead of Mats.

So I hit another 10 balls with each club. And determined I'm about 5 to ten yards longer on 5, 6, 7 & 8, not 15 to 20 yards off of grass. And I was just slightly longer with the Pros. As I was finishing up I noticed the first tee was open and a twosome was teeing off of # 2. So I asked if I could play nine and I was off. After the first hole I would use one ball to Drive with then on the second shots I would hit two balls to get some real course distances.

I drove the ball very well yesterday so most of the time I was in or just off the fairway. In those cases I would hit one off the fairway and one out of the rough. So I just kept score on the best ball as a lot of shots are blind to see on the raised greens. High-lite of the round came on the par 5 13th. I was in the left rough and had about 185 yards to carry over the pond. The hole was designed for a layup I think with a long semi circle around the pond. So I used my Apex Pro 5 hybrid and hit just short of the pin, hit the stick and ricocheted just off the green. Then hit the 6 iron and came up just short of the green but over the water. Then chipped in with the Gap wedge for Eagle.:banana:

While not an official score I ended with a potentcial 79 which I would always be with, considering the first time I played this course I shot an 120. Ten years ago. I'm happy I listened to my fitter and am happy with this purchase. I thought it might take awhile to adjust to the heavier and stiffer shafts. But as I played it was never in my thoughts, just what distance I can hit this club.

On a funny note as I was checking out with some balls and the hat. One of the staff asked " Where did you get that"? "Over there and I got the last one." :cool: He says " I'm a Mizuno staffer and I don't even have a hat. In fact I did't even know we had them". My gain.
Great write up and awesome first outing!!!!! Going to be a great year for you!!!! :golf2:

Great write up and awesome first outing!!!!! Going to be a great year for you!!!! :golf2:
Thank you. A couple of things I didn't mention is the 9, PW, and GW in the pros are just fantastic feeling and in performance. And I found if I just make a smooth swing these go the distances that I want them to. And if need a little more distance that I should be able to get it from them.
They have a great feel to them.

I am going to get fit for new irons in a week. I will have access to most all major OEM's irons and shafts, but I am pretty sure I have already mentally purchased the 921 Hot Metals and will just be getting fit for a shaft. Am I crazy for being close minded? They are just such good looking clubs. I feel like I am just picking a shaft and determining f I go straight Hot Metal or Combo with a 7 to GW HMP.
Anyone switched to Hot Metals from Titleist AP1's? I am currently playing AP1 714's with KBS Tour Shaft (stiff). I would love to hear any opinions on what improvements I might see. Or thoughts on any other iron's I have to try. I am sure it's not a great idea to go in with my mind already made up.
I'll be happy to post a response to my fitting process and what I see with different shafts. my
Fwiw, I'm a 15, hit my AP1 6 iron about 165.
I went for my fitting and started with my AP1 716 to get a baseline. I went in thinking I wanted the HMP and we started with that and the same KBS Tour shaft I had in my 716. The distance was good but the fitter did not like my spin numbers at all. He moved me to the Forged and we tried different shafts and there was some improvement over the HMP. I loved the feel of the Forged but could really tell the difference on a mishit, they just were not as forgiving as I was used too. He then had me try the Taylormade P770 and Mizuno MP20 HMB. I was actually really suprised at how well I hit both of them. Both heads seemed so small coming from a game improvement iron like the AP1 716. We talked for a bit and decided to go back to the Hot Metal Pro and see if we could get the right shaft.
We went through several KBS shafts and switched over to the Nippon NS Pro 3 Tour 120 and that was the one. I consistently saw about 15 - 18 more yards with the 6 iron than I was getting with my AP1 716 with good spin numbers and dispersion. Once we got that dialed in I hit the Hot Metals thinking I would do a combo set with low iron Hot Metals and 7-GW Hot metal pro's. My numbers were better with the HMP's and that is what I ended up with. Decided to go 5-GW Hot Metal Pro with the Nippon shaft. I really considered the forged but decided I liked the extra distance and they felt almost as good on a pure strike.
I'm feeling good about what I ended up with and excited to get them in the bag. And now... I wait.

For what's its worth, I ordered the forged with the 120 stiff shaft on Feb. 5th.

Still mostly patiently waiting.....

For everyone waiting...

I hope today is a lucky day!

:mizuno:

The GW is a hoot

i just got to get me some. Buying stuff or paying off the last of my credit card bills. Stupid responsibility

No new JPX921F today...

...but I did hit a great cut 7-iron into a tucked pin on my little executive course today with my Mizuno MX-200 (2008).

🍀🍀🍀

Yesterday I tried something new for me. Off the tee I tried to hit a certain distance so that I could hit different irons with real on-course situations. So I used driver on some holes, 4 hybrid or my Heavenwood on par 5's so I had to hit 2 irons towards the green. And then hit 2 balls for each shot after the drives.
I was lucky enough to have a slow foursome in front of me and a single that was doing something similar to me . And sill had to wait on some of the holes for them.
Now as for the irons the HM Pro's 9, PW and GW are so fantastic, I'm really impressed. As I am getting use to the heavier shafts the consistency I'm seeing in both distance and side to side dispersion has very tight And has given me a lot more confidence on shots to tight pins. (Probably more than it should:LOL:)

On my first two rounds with these it seemed wherever my drives stopped it had settled into a wet area. And I struggled with the 7 & 8 irons hitting them fat (As I always have) . My first round Sat. the fairways were brown, then we had a inch of rain. Monday there was a hint of green and yesterday the fairways were green. Bring on SPRING. So I got to hit a lot of 7 & 8 irons yesterday some good a few bad a few exceptional.
One of my observations were on my exceptional shots my divot was small and flat. and on my bad shots or less exceptional, my divots were deep on the toe side. So I determined when I'm to close to the ball I'm getting those deep toe side divots. So I tried to be more observant and started to hit some real good to great shots with the 7.

On the 12th hole which has a S shape design with tall pines guarding the first corner on the left side and a pond opposite the fairway. My plan was to hit the Heavenwood 215 yrds and lay-up an 8 iron and have a 8 or 9 iron to the green. But I severely pulled my Heavenwood over the pine and must have hit the cart path and ended with a 335 yard drive:oops: leaving 165 yrds to the pin. First ball over the pond landed on the left side of the green leaving about a 70 ft putt for eagle. The second ball had a slight fade over the guarding bunker and was left with 8 ft for eagle. Ended with an eagle and a birdie on that hole.

My other shots worth noting were the two 6 iron shots. 181 yards to a back pin with an all carry over water. First shot was a lazer that went over the pin and into the back bunker and the second was about 8 feet to the right of the pin that just rolled off. My former Apex Cf 19 was a 174 yard club for me so the 921 HM is a full club longer. The 7 & the 8 are a half to 3/4 longer and the Pro's are progressively longer. Gap being the same as the Cf 19's and the 9 about a half especially off the tee. I think I have a pretty good idea how far that I can hit these and if I can control my bad habit of over-swinging. Seems like my best shots have come from relaxed smooth tempo swings. Can't say it enough how much I :love: love these irons and the feel when you hit them. Smooth, buttery, and that sound when you flush them. OH MY

Really looking forward to playing more with these. I'm more than surprised that I can hit a X Stiff shaft so well. Going into the fitting I was wondering if it was time for me to switch to regular shafts as I struggled when I first came down to Arkansas around Christmas. And I hadn't played since August. Must have been that winter swing:p

These continue to impress me, slotting them all in 1.5 weak though has helped with my low spin issues on irons. That is one reason I typically lean to more players style irons, the spin there is my friend, and frankly I don’t need the distance bump. But, here now I’m getting more comfortable spin and peaks while still getting a noticeable distance bump.

Plus, the sound of the Forged remains pretty killer.

And again, I’m getting pretty smitten with the GW.

I need to turn off the post notification for this thread until mine come in. Making it hard to continue to patiently wait...

Good to hear on the GW. I am excited for that one to the point I asked my fitter if I am crazy to buy a second one for when the grooves start to wear on the original as I like to chip and hit little runners with a GW somewhat regularly.

Last edited:
I've played three rounds the last week and a half and I am glad I went with the 921 Forged in my 8-GW. They are not only easy to hit, but forgiving and pack the distance I need out of each. No issues with turf interaction and the feel at impact is just what you would expect out of a Mizuno iron. The GW is quickly becoming my favorite club in the bag. It's pretty versatile with approach shots and around the greens.

I need to turn off the post notification for this thread until mine come in. Making it hard to continue to patiently wait...

Good to hear on the GW. I am excited for that one to the point I asked my fitter if I am crazy to buy a second one for when the grooves start to wear on the original as I like to chip and hit little runners with a GW somewhat regularly.
It blends really well, I’m impressed. The Forged aren’t what I would call a super forgiving iron still, but they offer a lot of performance given the profile. Maybe the most well rounded iron I’ve ever hit from Mizuno.

Had some fun with the Hot Metal Pros this morning.
They continue to surprise me with distance.

Had some fun with the Hot Metal Pros this morning.
They continue to surprise me with distance.
They are awesome. Absolutely love mine.

They are awesome. Absolutely love mine.

It is such a sleeper set for me, because it gets kind of overlooked with how many love the others in this lineup. And I totally understand, as the Forged and Tours are stunners. But this set blows my mind each time I try it out.

It is such a sleeper set for me, because it gets kind of overlooked with how many love the others in this lineup. And I totally understand, as the Forged and Tours are stunners. But this set blows my mind each time I try it out.
I'm in the minority I'm guessing, but I didn't even hit the Forged or Tours after I tried the HMPs. Even though those irons are gorgeous, the HMPS didn't fall short in terms of feel, looks, price and performance for me to want to try something else.

Back