Really hoping my 921Fs show up this week. I have a lesson and 3 rounds of golf booked for next week so it would be nice to break them in a bit before then!

Just reading all these reviews and comments and hope to get word on the 921 HMP's but its only been a couple of weeks since order so that might be a bit too optimistic.

For those with a blended set F/HMP what lofts did you use to blend? I have GW-7 forged and 6-4 HMP. Went 1 degree weak on all the HMP but think I might need 2 degrees on the 6 to sort a slight gapping issues I have.

It’s funny, because reading JW’s Callaway iron thread made me realize something, that I’ve been doing what he now is for most of the year.

My 921 Forged are one of the most satisfying irons I’ve put into play. They balance players and pure speed as well as anything that I’ve ever hit. But, I’m a guy who needs a little more spin and launch, so I’ve been playing the whole set 1.5* weak this season and its been a killer setup. Paired with 110 X Recoils playing my typical +1/2” they’ve been a riot. Easier launch, maintained distance, the workability I want in an iron set. Lots of wins for my needs and wants.

Hoping mine arrive this week. Please deliver me the goods!

Seeing this thread active the last few days is making me want to take mine out for a test spin. I only used them for a month or so prior to getting the Morgan Cup clubs. Maybe take both sets and do a bit of a bag battle post, playing two balls from my tee shot on a slow evening.

Seeing this thread active the last few days is making me want to take mine out for a test spin. I only used them for a month or so prior to getting the Morgan Cup clubs. Maybe take both sets and do a bit of a bag battle post, playing two balls from my tee shot on a slow evening.
What are your other clubs? I'm keen to always hear comparisons.

I intend on carrying a few duplicate irons when mine arrive just for a laugh.

What are your other clubs? I'm keen to always hear comparisons.

I intend on carrying a few duplicate irons when mine arrive just for a laugh.
Cobra Forged Tec. I was planning on doing it in the fall after the Morgan Cup but may do it this summer if I can take advantage of the longer daylight.

I had really hoped to have a ton more feedback in here on my 921 Hot Metals, but life is getting in the way.
A stretch that I had intended to play like 6 rounds in, I ended up getting 1 round in.
Add in there a "refresher" lesson, that absolutely threw everything for a loop, and my confidence was as low as it had ever been.

First real 18 hole round, at a nice course, and I ended up carding an 83. Went out and had two goals: hit some decent shots, and make 1 par (that is how far I had sunk). Thinking way too much about mechanics at the range, trying to bring swing thoughts to the course.... what an absolute mistake.

Hitting irons off the tee just to get extra swings in with them, it took a couple holes to finally click. When it did, I was happy with the results though. I am all over with distances, just due to inconsistency with my swing and contact, and ball placement is hit and miss right now.

Finally starting to find the centre of the club face again, and when I do put together some good swings on the course I am just excited to be out there.

Not really where I thought I would be halfway through the season with brand new irons. Getting to a place again though that I want to be out there, and am excited to be hitting my 921 HM's in the bag.

Cobra Forged Tec. I was planning on doing it in the fall after the Morgan Cup but may do it this summer if I can take advantage of the longer daylight.
Awesome - I was interested in those Forged Tecs but the fitter I went to didn't stock Cobra so I didn't get a chance to hit them. I look forward to your comparison!!

Awesome - I was interested in those Forged Tecs but the fitter I went to didn't stock Cobra so I didn't get a chance to hit them. I look forward to your comparison!!
It's a shame he didn't have them for a fitting as I've been really impressed.

I'm really curious as to what the new MMCs are going to be like.

Not sure if it’s the swing or the club (always assume swing) but with some swing changes I have picked up some extra distance recently but is anyone catching fliers sometimes with the Forged? And I don’t mean from a fluffy lie. I mean on a fairway and a well struck shot shoots out 15 yards further than what you expected?

Not sure if it’s the swing or the club (always assume swing) but with some swing changes I have picked up some extra distance recently but is anyone catching fliers sometimes with the Forged? And I don’t mean from a fluffy lie. I mean on a fairway and a well struck shot shoots out 15 yards further than what you expected?
I only had five rounds with mine before they found the closet due to the Morgan Cup clubs, but I didn't experience that over those rounds. In fact, your concerns with well struck iron shots is what really pushed me into looking at new irons. My old set was from 2008 and clean struck shots from good lies with the scoring irons were sometimes jumping 15-20 yds on me. That logic is what my fitter used to guide me towards the 921Fs.

It’s funny, because reading JW’s Callaway iron thread made me realize something, that I’ve been doing what he now is for most of the year.

My 921 Forged are one of the most satisfying irons I’ve put into play. They balance players and pure speed as well as anything that I’ve ever hit. But, I’m a guy who needs a little more spin and launch, so I’ve been playing the whole set 1.5* weak this season and its been a killer setup. Paired with 110 X Recoils playing my typical +1/2” they’ve been a riot. Easier launch, maintained distance, the workability I want in an iron set. Lots of wins for my needs and wants.

The 921 Forged look fun. But as someone who needs less spin/launch, I was really enamored with the lower spin factor of the HMP. The HMPs just want to fly long and straight. It has been an adjustment with the PW-7 getting used to the distances.

Been lurking around and pulled the trigger on a set of HMP last week. Took them to the range yesterday to square off with my Cobra Forged Tec's and I have to admit, wasn't overly pleased with them out of the gate. To be fair, this is a junk range with junk balls and hitting off of mats, but first round went to my FT's. Hard to tell distance but they seemed to be about the same (slight edge to the FT). Unfortunately I had a solid push plus a fade with the HMP's unless I really made an effort to turn the club over. My FT's are bent flat and the HMP's are naturally more flat so don't think that's an issue (they should be within .5 degree of each other). KBS tours in my FT and the stock project x lz 5.5 in the HMP (have played these shafts in the past so stuck with stock).

Who knows, 9 holes scheduled today but not sure if I will put the HMP's in the bag or not or just sell since they mostly have not been hit (only swing the 5,7,9).
Did you do anymore comparisons

These irons remain a lot of fun. I am hard pondering moving them back to steel, likely the Nippon Proto’s I reviewed, but I’ve got no performance reason for that.

The sound of these in well struck shots is just….well….pretty freaking incredible.

These irons remain a lot of fun. I am hard pondering moving them back to steel, likely the Nippon Proto’s I reviewed, but I’ve got no performance reason for that.

The sound of these in well struck shots is just….well….pretty freaking incredible.
How do they compare to KFTs

How do they compare to KFTs
Totally different designs. Hollow body versus not. The KFT have more discretionary weight to shift in the design for forgiveness aspect and general ball speed creation. These will spin more which is something Mizuno focuses on getting right but still offer ample speed because as @Canadan will attest Chromolly is amazing. The KFT for me were about half a club longer.

Last edited:
Totally different designs. Hollow body versus not. The KFT have more discretionary weight to shift in the design for forgiveness aspected and general ball speed creation. These will spin more which is something Mizuno focuses on getting right but still offer ample speed because as @Canadan will attest Chromolly is amazing. The KFT for me were about half a club longer.
Should have clarified my inquiry a little more. How do they compare in forgiveness and playability

Should have clarified my inquiry a little more. How do they compare in forgiveness and playability
Like I said, the KFT have more discretionary weight to move through the hollow body aspect, so they’re going to offer more forgiveness. Playability though is on the individual user and their needs. I’ve got an ace with the KFT when I bagged them but a 185 yard 7i isn’t as playable for my needs spin wise as the 921 Forged are

Did you do anymore comparisons

Not a ton. Another range session and I ultimately decided to stick with my KFT. I did enjoy the sound and the feel of the HMP but my swing at the time wasn't working with them. That being said, I will totally give them another look whenever I go through a formal fitting

Like I said, the KFT have more discretionary weight to move through the hollow body aspect, so they’re going to offer more forgiveness. Playability though is on the individual user and their needs. I’ve got an ace with the KFT when I bagged them but a 185 yard 7i isn’t as playable for my needs spin wise as the 921 Forged are
Considering the HMP with recoil 95 shaft. Be an interesting club to experiment with.

I’ve played around five rounds with the Forged and a bit more now with the KFT. I’d say the KTFs are a half club longer. The forged seemed to stop a touch quicker on the greens with a slightly lower trajectory so I am assuming they’re are spinning a bit more. (I haven’t extensively got on a launch monitor). That said, the KFTs have plenty of stopping power on their own. I have up to 5 iron and have yet to be disappointed with how they hold greens. The KFTs have been more forgiving for me but I have not hit the HMPs much to compare there. I would say the forged give a touch more feedback in terms of strike location but it’s really close.
Either way I don’t think you can wrong. There seems to be so much good stuff on the market right now.

Back