The JPX 921 HMP is the real deal. In my second round with them, after a short adjustment period, I flagged a six iron on 16 and a seven iron on 17. They are very accurate and very forgiving compared to the MP-20 HMB I was playing. I have the same specs and shafts. So, the comparison is truly a head-to-head comparison. Mizuno 4 the win!!

The JPX 921 HMP is the real deal. In my second round with them, after a short adjustment period, I flagged a six iron on 16 and a seven iron on 17. They are very accurate and very forgiving compared to the MP-20 HMB I was playing. I have the same specs and shafts. So, the comparison is truly a head-to-head comparison. Mizuno 4 the win!!
Love mine as well, there are times I got to get used to the length I can get. Yesterday I was 140 and uphill took my 9 iron, connected on it. nice high ball flight. Ended up over the green by 20 yards.

I wasn't yet able to get that out of them. What I found was that I could play about the same yardages as the HMB, but with a more controlled swing and be much more accurate.

Maybe as I get more comfortable, I will be able to step on them here and there and get some yardage. I need more yardage for sure.

Jealousy is a disease. Hopefully I get well soon.
Hah! I called the shop again asking if they had an update on my irons (ordered May 18) and they said they'd get on the phone with the Mizuno rep to see if anything has changed since I last heard an update in the middle of July. We might have snow on the ground before these things show up.

Hah! I called the shop again asking if they had an update on my irons (ordered May 18) and they said they'd get on the phone with the Mizuno rep to see if anything has changed since I last heard an update in the middle of July. We might have snow on the ground before these things show up.
Sorry to hear. They are nice!

What shafts did you put on them? I ordered mine 5/9 and just got an updated ETA of November due to shafts being backordered...

What shafts did you put on them? I ordered mine 5/9 and just got an updated ETA of November due to shafts being backordered...
C-Taper Lite 110s. The alleged delay on my order is that the 5-iron head is out of stock in the forged line specifically, so they are waiting for them to be hammered out I guess. They need to hire some more artisan blacksmiths and buy more anvils!

Out of curiosity, how much difference in distance are you seeing?

C-Taper Lite 110s. The alleged delay on my order is that the 5-iron head is out of stock in the forged line specifically, so they are waiting for them to be hammered out I guess. They need to hire some more artisan blacksmiths and buy more anvils!
C Taper X for me.. Subbed in the $ Taper to get the order processed

Been playing the 921 Hot Metals (6i-PW) all summer and really dig them. Going to try the wedges as well.

NOT a fan of the JPX Fli-Hi 4 and 5 hybrids, though.

All I can do is draw or hook them; even if I set up for a cut and think CUT! thru the whole swing, it's a draw or a hook, period. Switching over to the 921 4i and 5i.

Really enjoying my Hot Metals as well. Plenty of forgiveness on not so perfect strikes.

As for hybrids, I haven't tried Mizunos. I had a G400 I've had similar issues with. I was recently fitted into other hybrids that could be adjusted to have a more open face and the face is also shaped a bit more like irons.

I'm not seeing much in the short irons, but in the six iron I'm right at about 5-7 yards longer due to straighter/higher flight and less mishits. Much more consistent.

84 days since I ordered and I got the call that my clubs are ready for pickup.
One last hurrah for my old irons this weekend and then into the bag these will go!

Gosh been following this thread for awhile now and really want to explore the JPX 921 range. I’ve been using the 919 HM for 2 years I think and want the 921F just because.. but honestly I’m more than likely not good enough for them. I don’t keep an official handicap but shoot anywhere from mid 80’s to mid 90’s depending on the day.

But based on the feedback here the 921 range sounds really legit!

Gosh been following this thread for awhile now and really want to explore the JPX 921 range. I’ve been using the 919 HM for 2 years I think and want the 921F just because.. but honestly I’m more than likely not good enough for them. I don’t keep an official handicap but shoot anywhere from mid 80’s to mid 90’s depending on the day.

You shoot better than I do and I just picked up my 921 Forgeds tonight. I know the learning curve will be steep from my old shovels so I don't expect anything other than struggles at first, but based on what I was seeing in my fitting, there is quite a lot of hope that we can play these clubs.

In other news related to my finally getting my clubs, the 7-iron's grip is clocked maybe 15-20 degrees off so the Align on the back does not line up with my finger joints. Anyone know if that can be fixed without my having to buy a whole new grip?

You shoot better than I do and I just picked up my 921 Forgeds tonight. I know the learning curve will be steep from my old shovels so I don't expect anything other than struggles at first, but based on what I was seeing in my fitting, there is quite a lot of hope that we can play these clubs.
Awesome congratulations on the new and shiny! I honestly really want to trade in the 919 HM for 921F, I’ve only hit the PW and 8i at my local store on July 4th weekend and they felt amazing. Since then have been pondering big time.

Awesome congratulations on the new and shiny! I honestly really want to trade in the 919 HM for 921F, I’ve only hit the PW and 8i at my local store on July 4th weekend and they felt amazing. Since then have been pondering big time.
I will try and take some pictures later today but as I sit on calls that I am not really paying attention to, I have both my sets of clubs out (2009 Cobra SZ vs. 2021 JPX 921 Forgeds) and the differences are stark in some areas, but less so in others.
For instance, I expected my old clubs to have a much larger face, but they're the same.
Toplines are vastly different, but viewed from the toe-on, the soles appear just as deep.
Viewed from the bottoms of the club, the sole width is much more progressive in the 921s than my old Cobras from heel to toe.

Behind the ball, the 4-iron clearly looks tiny due to the topline and not seeing the cavity hanging out, but the length of face seems to offer some immediate comfort.

In other news related to my finally getting my clubs, the 7-iron's grip is clocked maybe 15-20 degrees off so the Align on the back does not line up with my finger joints. Anyone know if that can be fixed without my having to buy a whole new grip?
I have managed to remove a few grips to reuse but probably around 70% success rate. The grips have a tendency to stretch and distort as I attempt to remove them. Getting some mineral spirits between the grip and tape and applying air lightly through the hole in the end of the grip can work but you have to be very patient and easy with it. I keep a replacement grip handy since I dont have much confidence in the process.

Good luck and congrats on the new clubs!

You sound like a prime candidate for a combo set.

Just got the JPX Hot Metal Pro irons. Impressive clubs. I am not a game improvement iron player at all. Grew up on forged blades and am a forged cavity back guy. However, I went to a Mizuno Demo day and was really surprised how good the HMPs performed. Pretty much the same distance but what impressed me the most was how stable the ball flight in the wind and I could control the trajectories well. I knew I wanted to try some AP2-ish like irons because of less side spin, but these impressed me so much, I bought them instead of the AP2. Still getting to know them, but so far they are quite good.

You sound like a prime candidate for a combo set.

Combo set never really crossed my mind but definitely not opposed to it at all.

I agree with @Scooby45
I went with PW-6 Forged and 4-5 HMP. I find the Forged to be quite forgiving but I'm glad I went HMP for the longer iros as they launch easy and provide some extra distance in the clubs I need that from.

Got out on Sunday morning, while on vacation, for a round at a nice course at the lake.
I don't know if I have ever had a round where I hit as many really nice iron shots, as I had that morning.
Hitting the shot I actually wanted to hit, instead of the one that I thinned/chunked.

The hard part though? When the greens go from super soft an receptive, to rock hard, to somewhat soft, to harder than rock hard. Approach shots that on the first 4-6 holes hit and stick (like a foot from the ball mark), to later on having a ball mark 3 feet from the pin and the ball being 20 feet away in the bush.

Opened with pars on the first 6 holes, on a course that used to eat me alive. Then I got conservative..... and started putting up the big numbers, so that wasn't good.

I am having real struggles with the GW right now that comes with the set. I just can't reliably hit it, and its an issue. I end up with a lot of yardages where I need to rely on that GW (like 80-95 yards). More work required. Need that 3/4 or partial swing GW in the arsenal again.

I agree with @Scooby45
I went with PW-6 Forged and 4-5 HMP. I find the Forged to be quite forgiving but I'm glad I went HMP for the longer iros as they launch easy and provide some extra distance in the clubs I need that from.
Now thinking further into it I think that would be a great idea in regards to combo HMP/F.
I’m currently using 4-PW 919 HM’s but sometimes swap out the 4i for a hybrid depending on how the swing feels.
In this case I’m thinking 5-6 HMP and 7-GW F. Now this really has me thinking best of both worlds! Thanks for the input 👍

Last edited:
Back