Now thinking further into it I think that would be a great idea in regards to combo HMP/F.
I’m currently using 4-PW 919 HM’s but sometimes swap out the 4i for a hybrid depending on how the swing feels.
In this case I’m thinking 5-6 HMP and 7-GW F. Now this really has me thinking best of both worlds! Thanks for the input 👍
If I end up moving mine to my brother his plan is to go HMP at the 5 iron and then into his hybrid.

Now thinking further into it I think that would be a great idea in regards to combo HMP/F.
I’m currently using 4-PW 919 HM’s but sometimes swap out the 4i for a hybrid depending on how the swing feels.
In this case I’m thinking 5-6 HMP and 7-GW F. Now this really has me thinking best of both worlds! Thanks for the input 👍

The idea of a combo set really appeals to me, and might still be an avenue I explore. I will be very interested to see how the 4/5 fly in my set when I get them out.

Finally got around to taking some comparison pictures between my ancient set and the new one. You can clearly see that the JPX 921 is WAY cleaner and far more appealing in its lines (and offset) but the face size is really quite familiar (unlike say some of the oversized faces on the market these days). And yes I know I am delinquent in cleaning my clubs... Monday night was a rough round with the Cobras.

4-irons:
uShaFgB.jpg

InqnMDL.jpg

7-irons:
RLudUG2.jpg

ikqOPS1.jpg

9-irons:
faLBri6.jpg

JYuZAse.jpg

Cavities:
xPkmZgI.jpg

Finally got around to taking some comparison pictures between my ancient set and the new one. You can clearly see that the JPX 921 is WAY cleaner and far more appealing in its lines (and offset) but the face size is really quite familiar (unlike say some of the oversized faces on the market these days). And yes I know I am delinquent in cleaning my clubs... Monday night was a rough round with the Cobras.

4-irons:
uShaFgB.jpg

InqnMDL.jpg

7-irons:
RLudUG2.jpg

ikqOPS1.jpg

9-irons:
faLBri6.jpg

JYuZAse.jpg

Cavities:
xPkmZgI.jpg
Those 921F’s does have a much slimmer profile than your Cobra’s. Thanks for the photos 👍

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts after a round or two.

Round one today with the 921 Forgeds and I am smitten.
Hopefully this isn't a short-lived honeymoon period, because holy what a round.

While I have lots to adjust for in playing around distances, I was blown away with how these performed in terms of straight shots and stability. I expected to be all over the place and need to go back to basics but that was not the case.
The C-Taper Lights are an absolute pleasure to swing and compared to my old irons I can feel how stable the club head is throughout my whole swing with no deflection. And then when I hit hit the ball correctly, these irons launch like mad, fly laser straight and just straight out perform.

Before, I would typically aim left to account for my push/slice which I think can almost now be attributed to me overpowering my old shafts and the weird offset of the heads, as now I can aim dead on and swing for the moon if I want.

Out of the rough is where these REALLY impressed me. Maybe it's the sole design, maybe something else, but if my ball was in semi-deep rough I had no issue just ripping them out with seemingly no real loss in distance and flight.

I did say to myself twice "wow that's a slender head" compared to my old shovels, but there was no real fear of hitting the 4-iron or 5-iron as long as I did my part and didn't thin them because I still am not 100% confident in my ball position.

One negative is these things are SOFT. I am already seeing some bag chatter on a few of the clubs.

Lessons should be a blast with these irons!

While I have lots to adjust for in playing around distances, I was blown away with how these performed in terms of straight shots and stability. I expected to be all over the place and need to go back to basics but that was not the case.
The C-Taper Lights are an absolute pleasure to swing and compared to my old irons I can feel how stable the club head is throughout my whole swing with no deflection. And then when I hit hit the ball correctly, these irons launch like mad, fly laser straight and just straight out perform.

Before, I would typically aim left to account for my push/slice which I think can almost now be attributed to me overpowering my old shafts and the weird offset of the heads, as now I can aim dead on and swing for the moon if I want.

Out of the rough is where these REALLY impressed me. Maybe it's the sole design, maybe something else, but if my ball was in semi-deep rough I had no issue just ripping them out with seemingly no real loss in distance and flight.

I did say to myself twice "wow that's a slender head" compared to my old shovels, but there was no real fear of hitting the 4-iron or 5-iron as long as I did my part and didn't thin them because I still am not 100% confident in my ball position.

One negative is these things are SOFT. I am already seeing some bag chatter on a few of the clubs.

I am happy they finally came in. I was feeling a bit guilty since I recommended you getting fit there, with how long the irons were taking to come in, even though I know it wasn't the fitters fault. Hopefully it will have been worth the wait.

They look MUCH better than your old irons IMO. I find the bag chatter adds a bit of character to the clubs, my buddy has a set of 2013 X-Forged which he had since new and they look well broken in. It is still nice to have new clubs looking new though.

I hope 921F keep performing well for you. Enjoy your new irons!

Nice! I have a set coming in like hopefully 1-2 weeks and I can’t wait to play that first round. I’m very envious.

How do you combat the soft clubs other than something like iron covers? A 14 hole bag or something like that? I’m curious how I’m going to solve it!

How do you combat the soft clubs other than something like iron covers? A 14 hole bag or something like that? I’m curious how I’m going to solve it!

I unashamedly got iron covers for mine. They typically come off in the parking lot, or possibly hole by hole as I use them if I am running to the first tee. Then they all go back on before I throw the bag back in the car. Go ahead and @ me :cool:

I unashamedly got iron covers for mine. They typically come off in the parking lot, or possibly hole by hole as I use them if I am running to the first tee. Then they all go back on before I throw the bag back in the car. Go ahead and @ me :cool:
I would assume it’s easier for you using another set of clubs as well 😂

Awesome news love my HMP's.

I played my 3rd round with the JPX 921 HMPs on Saturday and shot 38/39!

I would assume it’s easier for you using another set of clubs as well 😂
Very true, the easiest way to keep soft irons looking sharp is to keep them in your closet :ROFLMAO:

And no one should shed any tears for the the iron covers. They have been transferred to another security detail, keeping a certain other set of sticks looking bright and beautiful for some gorgeous bag shots you can find from me if you go hunting around on other threads ;)

The big question is when I do a fall bag battle, do I get a second set of iron covers?!?!?

I agree with @Scooby45
I went with PW-6 Forged and 4-5 HMP. I find the Forged to be quite forgiving but I'm glad I went HMP for the longer iros as they launch easy and provide some extra distance in the clubs I need that from.
This is what I might be looking into the 921s are so good.

I've been gaming the 921 HMP the last few rounds and I've had some good success. They give me some extra distance over my 921 Forged clubs.

I still believe that the Hot Metal Pros and Forged irons are some of the most underrated of the year.

I still believe that the Hot Metal Pros and Forged irons are some of the most underrated of the year.

I have up to 5 rounds (weather and time dependent) and 1 smart bay session planned in the next 7 days so we shall see how the learning curve progresses with mine. I have high hopes for this honeymoon.

I really want to upgrade from the 919 HM to the 921F personally but honestly don’t think my game is good enough for it. Really welcome much forgiveness as I can get being a weekend hacker.

I really want to upgrade from the 919 HM to the 921F personally but honestly don’t think my game is good enough for it. Really welcome much forgiveness as I can get being a weekend hacker.
Go hit some 921F if you can. I am astonished at the forgiveness of them and the stability with the right shafts. My learning with them is do not fear the club. Trust your swing.

My irons finally came in.

Hitting the 4 iron and 5 iron Forged are just so sick. They feel incredible.

My irons finally came in.

Hitting the 4 iron and 5 iron Forged are just so sick. They feel incredible.
They sure do. Catching them pure is such a nice feeling!

You ever get the feeling like you've got unfinished business with an iron? That's how I am feeling with the 921 Forged right now. I fell head over heels on them near their release, and just never really gave them a full look after navigating away toward some more player-esque irons.

Who out there is having a blast with their forged and can tell me a bit more about them?

You ever get the feeling like you've got unfinished business with an iron? That's how I am feeling with the 921 Forged right now. I fell head over heels on them near their release, and just never really gave them a full look after navigating away toward some more player-esque irons.

Who out there is having a blast with their forged and can tell me a bit more about them?
I've played 4 rounds in the last week with mine and they have performed every bit to my expectations. When struck well they are beautiful. When struck poorly, my right ring finger vibrates like a tuning fork and goes numb in the cold.
I am still learning the distances with them and have taken to grabbing a longer club than I think I need and just living with that.
While the 4-8 irons I find actually pretty easy to clatter out of any lie, I struggle with the 9-GW for some reason and struggle to get any distance out of them - most likely because I am scooping more than I should be.

That being said, I do not look at the 4/5 iron and fear them at all, even with my swing flaws where I will thin the ball and end up with that numb ring finger. It's the shorter clubs where I get apprehensive and do stupid things.

The way mine are set, I get a nice high ball flight with them - which killed me in the wind over the last week, but given that those were anomalous, the launches do help stick greens and put a smile on my face.

I've played 4 rounds in the last week with mine and they have performed every bit to my expectations. When struck well they are beautiful. When struck poorly, my right ring finger vibrates like a tuning fork and goes numb in the cold.
I am still learning the distances with them and have taken to grabbing a longer club than I think I need and just living with that.
While the 4-8 irons I find actually pretty easy to clatter out of any lie, I struggle with the 9-GW for some reason and struggle to get any distance out of them - most likely because I am scooping more than I should be.

That being said, I do not look at the 4/5 iron and fear them at all, even with my swing flaws where I will thin the ball and end up with that numb ring finger. It's the shorter clubs where I get apprehensive and do stupid things.

The way mine are set, I get a nice high ball flight with them - which killed me in the wind over the last week, but given that those were anomalous, the launches do help stick greens and put a smile on my face.

No - I have the same issue with 9-PW in HMB's and when I had the 919F. I might strengthen the loft of those slightly in the HMB. The 1025 Steel just doesn't have the Chromoly punch.

Back