Sure can. I recommend that you hit both in a fitting session to compare the data and get a perspective on feel. I preferred the feel of the Srixon, it is a great forged iron. The Hot Metal consistently produced more distance. This was the reason I selected the Hot Metal (about 10 yards more for me) . I did not mind the feel of the Hot Metal. The Hot Metal feel was very good, just not as good as the ZX5.

The ZX5 and the Mizuno JPX 921 HM irons are the 2 sets I'm most interested to try. Can you give some details about what was better for you?
I ended up with the forged over the ZX5. The 5’s had a little more ball speed and a little tighter dispersion for me. But looks and feel of the Forged carried the day for me as Mizuno won in that area. It was close when I got fit, those two sets were the clear standouts, it will be interesting to see how you get on with the two lines.

I have been looking at the JPX 921s also. I am looking at the Hot Blade or the Hot Blade Pro. I have not been to a fitting yet but that will be right after I get some medical work done. I figure if I get my cataract removed so I can see what the ball is doing that will help. I have been having the other guys on the 4some watch it for me. The cataract goes next week.

My handy cap was around 9 but with the virus and my wife having serious health issues the past two years, I have not been able to get out much. My current irons are about 10 years old, give or take my short memory and are an old Adams set.

I guess my biggest concern is getting the right shaft with the right flex in the right section of the shaft. Guess the fitting should help with that. I had a driver swing speed of 105 mph 5 years ago but I am 72 now and may be slowing down. I still hit my driver 230 or 240.

Anyway, I will probably be asking a few dumb questions about the fitting process and shafts. I hope the experienced folks on here can help me get the most from the fitting and iron selection.

thanks all

I have watched a lot of videos showing the JPX 921 Hot Metal and Hot Metal Pro irons. The differences between the two seem very miner except for the looks because of the size of the head. Is the smaller size the only real difference or is there something in addition to that, that I am not aware of.

When I get to a fitting, I will still give them both a try but any information in advance would be appreciated.

thanks for your thoughts

I have watched a lot of videos showing the JPX 921 Hot Metal and Hot Metal Pro irons. The differences between the two seem very miner except for the looks because of the size of the head. Is the smaller size the only real difference or is there something in addition to that, that I am not aware of.

When I get to a fitting, I will still give them both a try but any information in advance would be appreciated.

thanks for your thoughts
I think at a 9 handicap the difference between the hot metal and hot metal pro will be negligible and you'd enjoy looking down at the HMP at address better. Just my opinion. The smaller headsize affects me personally because I miss towards the toe frequently

Last edited:

thanks for your thoughts

‘The Hot Metal Pro has a more compact head size and less offset than the Hot Metal. Those are the only differences that I’m aware of.

I like my Hot Metal Pros.

Aight, so after clearing the family off the Sunday calendar I headed to the range with the new sticks. There I found the range closed from the rain, next course the same, and next course the same. So I went home and pouted.

Monday, work….sucks no golf but did book a tee time for Friday
Tuesday, work….sucks no golf and kiddo basketball practice
Wednesday, work….sucks no golf, kiddo baseball practice and gym

But today, nice weather, “lunch meeting” blocked my calendar and found the range.

Thoughts from first time hitting……holy s@$! These are soooo solid, forgiving, and fun. I love them!!!! I mishit 90% of my shots because my swing is garbage and my body feels like a car wrecked and wrapped around a telephone pole but that’s my bad and definitely gonna play more in ‘22.
Super forgiving off the toe and thinned shots, I also caught a few “thick” which well is no bueno. Then there is some swings I was able to band aid together and wow they are awesome. Will definitely have some more fun with them tomorrow kicking off my 1st round in ‘22. For sure gonna get to test out how well they punch out or trouble playing the Palmer Course tomorrow.

I think at a 9 handicap the difference between the hot metal and hot metal pro will be negligible and you'd enjoy looking down at the HMP at address better. Just my opinion. The smaller headsize affects me personally because I miss towards the toe frequently

‘The Hot Metal Pro has a more compact head size and less offset than the Hot Metal. Those are the only differences that I’m aware of.

I like my Hot Metal Pros.

I will say I like the looks of the smaller size head but it worries me at the same time. It doesn’t take many misfits to make it not worth it. I guess the fitting will answer that part of my curiosity. Since my current old irons are offset I will have to see how lessening the offset will effect my ball flight.

I might also have to add the Mizuno 225 into the fitting also.

As a 9 handicap I would say go for the Forgeds. They're great clubs. I am far worse than a 9 handicap and they work for me!

As a 9 handicap I would say go for the Forgeds. They're great clubs. I am far worse than a 9 handicap and they work for me!

I guess I should try them at the fitting also but I am not sure about time issues. I have COPD and it is getting to be a problem. I have to pace myself and take a break on occasion to catch my breath. Playing a round isn’t bad because you hit a ball, wait for the others, then take a cart ride. When hitting one after another like at a driving range, I have to hit a few then pause. That might actually work for the better giving me a chance to pick the fitters brain about what he is seeing.

thanks for your thoughts
I currently have the hot metal pro and I have not hit the hot metals, but as most as have said the size difference stands out and with that I would have to think forgiveness on off center hits on the hot metal is somewhat better than the hmp. You should be able to tell that in your fitting. Either way they are great looking/feeling irons. Good luck!!

Smash session today also included the JPX 921 Hot Metal. I greatly enjoyed this. Doesn't feel as good as the King Tour I own or the 223 I hit beside of it, but for the difference was minimal. I liked the 223 better based on "shiny new things" but could game these without a doubt.

I had a good round with the HMP irons today. 9GIR, good ball flight and the sole works well in the dormant zoysia. Plenty of spin with the TP5 ball.

I had a good round with the HMP irons today. 9GIR, good ball flight and the sole works well in the dormant zoysia. Plenty of spin with the TP5 ball.
Any distance adjustments from the ZX7's or too early to tell with current course conditions?

Any distance adjustments from the ZX7's or too early to tell with current course conditions?
Oh for sure, full club longer with the HMP. ZX7 7 iron was 145, HMP is 155-160. Higher ball flight with the HMP, but haven't had any issues holding greens.

Had my fitting today. I was looking for Mizuno irons but not sure which ones.

Tried jpx 921 Hot Metal, Hot Metal Pro, Forged and Mizuno Pro 225s.

I will say the 921 Forged really looked good at address. But I will go for what I hit best.

Here are the recommendation from using the Mizuno Shaft Optimiser.

01C22F69-70A0-43FE-A5B9-C58127CD11AF.jpeg

I ended up going with the Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal heads on the Dynamic Gold 102 S shafts.

I decided I would rather say “that worked out well“ rather than “that club sure looks good even if I misfit it”.

I also put a shaft in a new Mizuno STX driver I had. I think it will work much better than my old Titleist 910D2. Best distance was 257 yards per Trackman which isn’t bad for a 72 year old hitting thru a bay door onto an open driving range when it is 26* Degrees.

Should have them in about 4 weeks, which will work great for Spring startup.

Hit some really good shots with the HMP's today. Really liking the height I get out of them, no issues holding greens at all so far. Paired with the Recoil 95's it is a good combo. They clean up easy enough and look good as new.

Hit some really good shots with the HMP's today. Really liking the height I get out of them, no issues holding greens at all so far. Paired with the Recoil 95's it is a good combo. They clean up easy enough and look good as new.
I had HMPs year before last but, unfortunately, absolutely hated the C-Taper Lite shafts. Instead of changing out the shafts, decided to give Srixon a try this past year. My HMP wedges had Nippon shafts and I loved them. You will enjoy them with the Recoils.

Bumping for @chefkritter because I get to see some 921 forged goodness he has in the bag during our round tomorrow

I had HMPs year before last but, unfortunately, absolutely hated the C-Taper Lite shafts. Instead of changing out the shafts, decided to give Srixon a try this past year. My HMP wedges had Nippon shafts and I loved them. You will enjoy them with the Recoils.
I let @shanewu's dad hit one today, 6 iron off the tee he caught way out on the toe, half grooves and half not and that ball still almost got to the green for him. Definitely not the suggested way to hit one, but still that shows how forgiving they are.

I am really glad I made the switch back to Recoils though, elbows are feeling much better after the rounds already.
HMP are just a great set, I like the smaller profile head, easy to look down on.

Really getting dialed in with the HMP's, 13GIR today. The ones I missed I had couple come up short (didn't adjust for the cold and should have clubbed up) and a couple left. I have pretty much eliminated any right miss I used to have. The couple misses left where pin high though so distance wise I feel confident.
Last hole today had 168 to the pin and ball mark was a bout 2 yards past the pin so was quite happy with that shot.

I played yesterday afternoon and I saw a distance increase more than normal. Pretty much "winter" conditions here, but temperature wise it wasn't cold. Specifically with my 8i I was seeing a bigger jump than I normally do from that club. I use a carry number for all my clubs and I had several shots into a 150-157 or so yardage and I pulled the 8i. Each time the ball landed pretty close to the 150 number where normally I would carry it 145 max. Using the same 2020 CSX ball and same set up shaft wise. I am not sure if my stretching and core exercises are paying off, but I will take the extra distance. i saw much of the same with my 9i and PW.

I am not sure if my stretching and core exercises are paying off, but I will take the extra distance.
^^ This ^^

And that's awesome, by the way.

Back