That's too bad I really really like the the turf interaction with my GW and PW I feel like I can get in and out of the turf very easily. I agree with the others to get the loft/lie checked to see if maybe you're hitting it too close to the hosel
Yea - I shall. I was thinking it was really a me standing too close to the ball issue as that is what my issue was at the start of the season, and sorted that out for 4-8i, 9i is iffy, then PW/GW are a waste of swings.

Yea - I shall. I was thinking it was really a me standing too close to the ball issue as that is what my issue was at the start of the season, and sorted that out for 4-8i, 9i is iffy, then PW/GW are a waste of swings.
Another thought is if you need the GW 2 up like the rest of the set. I ultimately kept mine 2 up like the irons when I got fit but I did spend some time discussing it with my fitter at the time. Not sure if going a degree or two back flat with help with your set-up and swing but another thought to consider.

@Scooby45 i know you probably mentioned it but are the shafts in your 921’s the same as your Morgan Cup set?

@Scooby45 i know you probably mentioned it but are the shafts in your 921’s the same as your Morgan Cup set?
No, I have Nippon 120’s in the Mizunos and had Recoil 95s in the Morgan Cup bag. I wanted to try graphite and the 95s looked better in the fitting bay compared to the 110s. I struggled to adjust to the lighter weight with the short irons when it can to trying to take a little off to hit a number so they are currently getting Accra 110 i-series. Those fit better compared to the 100s and will be really close weight wise to the Nippon ‘s. It should make for a decent side to side comparison later this year (or next with silly winter coming)

Reactions: MH
I was able to demo the 921 Hot Metal over the weekend and was really impressed. Enough so that I'm contemplating taking my 7 iron and comparing and if it's as good as the launch monitor was showing, I might make the switch. I also hit the Taylormade Sim2 Max 7 iron and I was surprised at the results. In the past, I've always seemed to hit TM products better, but the Mizunos were noticeably better. The Hot Metal was longer, higher, and more consistent. Just super easy to hit and they felt great.

My normal 7 iron carry is somewhere around 160-162 on average. The TM Sim2 Max was around 167-170 carry, but the ball flight was lower. The Hot Metal 7 iron was around 174-176 carry. That's a pretty big jump from my TM Rocketbladez, so I'm a little concerned that the launch monitor might be a bit off. I figured comparing my 7 iron would help determine if that was the case.

This may come off kind of strange but after almost a year, I feel like I have finally dialed in the HMPs. Between working on some swing changes, not playing a ton, and getting used to the extra distance I was seeing, especially out of the P-7, I have the distance control and dispersion where I would like it.

This may come off kind of strange but after almost a year, I feel like I have finally dialed in the HMPs. Between working on some swing changes, not playing a ton, and getting used to the extra distance I was seeing, especially out of the P-7, I have the distance control and dispersion where I would like it.
Excellent. It took me half the summer to get used to mine. Now I know exactly how high, long, and bite they have. Can't believe I waited this long to own Mizuno's. My 921 Forged are just plain sweet.

Excellent. It took me half the summer to get used to mine. Now I know exactly how high, long, and bite they have. Can't believe I waited this long to own Mizuno's. My 921 Forged are just plain sweet.

My first set of Mizuno's as well. Can't enough good things about them.

I have a great deal of respect for Mizuno irons going way back to when I first saw them in other bags..
Honestly, I could happily play my 2009 MP52s right now.
Also, my 2004 (I think) driving iron.

There was no reason to replace them other than it was time for new clubs in my head.
The JPX 921 models are worthy successors in all likelyhood--I'd buy them on blind faith--
but only the Tour model has weak enough lofts to go with other clubs that I'd want to play with them.

I'm sure the other models are equally good, but I'd have to change clubs other than numbered irons as well.
They wouldn't be a direct swap.
Were I to go Mizuno, then, it would probably be the Tours. That could conceivably change if I got to try them all and liked another model more,
but I wouldn't likely have the opportunity to do that.

I was at the PGA Superstore this weekend and hit the Hot Metals again. I figured I would test the results at a different store and see what I got. Results were basically the same and I just fell in love with the feel of these irons. The stiff flex Nippon shaft gave me a little better dispersion and they actually had them in-stock, so I got an early Christmas present! I got 4-GW to replace my TM Rocketbladez.

I took them to the range yesterday and played 9 holes. I'm really impressed with the consistency across the face on these. My miss hits were still getting really good distance. The feel is great and I really like the Golf Pride MCC +4 grips. I was contemplating swapping the grips on my old set to something like those, so I'm glad the Mizunos came with them. It'll take me a little while to get used to the new irons, but I was able to hit some pretty good shots (for me, anyway) during my 9 hole round. They seem to be about 1 full club longer than my old set. I had around 164 yards to the green on a par 4 and normally I would hit 7 iron, but went with 8 iron and stuck it inside 10 feet. Missed the birdie putt, of course, but wasn't going to complain with an easy par after a bad tee shot. On another hole, I was 176 yards out and hit 7 iron that rolled out to about 180 and burned the edge of the cup.

Hopefully I'll get to play a few rounds this week and get a better feel for them, but so far I'm impressed. My only concern is backspin to hold greens. Our greens are pretty firm right now and I was playing a low spin ball, so it may not even be a concern. Just want to make sure I'm getting the height and spin needed for approach shots. I don't think it's really an issue, but something I'll keep an eye on.

Also, these are just beautiful irons. :love:

2034F7C5-FA75-476E-89E6-ECBD820DAA2F.jpeg

I was at the PGA Superstore this weekend and hit the Hot Metals again. I figured I would test the results at a different store and see what I got. Results were basically the same and I just fell in love with the feel of these irons. The stiff flex Nippon shaft gave me a little better dispersion and they actually had them in-stock, so I got an early Christmas present! I got 4-GW to replace my TM Rocketbladez.

I took them to the range yesterday and played 9 holes. I'm really impressed with the consistency across the face on these. My miss hits were still getting really good distance. The feel is great and I really like the Golf Pride MCC +4 grips. I was contemplating swapping the grips on my old set to something like those, so I'm glad the Mizunos came with them. It'll take me a little while to get used to the new irons, but I was able to hit some pretty good shots (for me, anyway) during my 9 hole round. They seem to be about 1 full club longer than my old set. I had around 164 yards to the green on a par 4 and normally I would hit 7 iron, but went with 8 iron and stuck it inside 10 feet. Missed the birdie putt, of course, but wasn't going to complain with an easy par after a bad tee shot. On another hole, I was 176 yards out and hit 7 iron that rolled out to about 180 and burned the edge of the cup.

Hopefully I'll get to play a few rounds this week and get a better feel for them, but so far I'm impressed. My only concern is backspin to hold greens. Our greens are pretty firm right now and I was playing a low spin ball, so it may not even be a concern. Just want to make sure I'm getting the height and spin needed for approach shots. I don't think it's really an issue, but something I'll keep an eye on.

View attachment 9046408
Sounds like you had a great first outting. If you use a higher spin ball you'll see some nice results. My 921F's are an easy 1 club longer. Holding greens is not an issue with these babies. I use either a ProV1 or TP5 ball. They hit bounce check or spin if needed. You will love your Mizuno's.

View attachment 9046408
Mizuno makes a very good looking iron for sure

Sounds like you had a great first outting. If you use a higher spin ball you'll see some nice results. My 921F's are an easy 1 club longer. Holding greens is not an issue with these babies. I use either a ProV1 or TP5 ball. They hit bounce check or spin if needed. You will love your Mizuno's.

That's my thought as well. I have some TP5 balls that I'll have to try on the next outing. The Mizunos definitely performed well the first time out. I'm really hoping to get a few rounds in this week while I have some time off.

Mizuno makes a very good looking iron for sure

Indeed they do!:eek:k:

View attachment 9046408

congrats on the new irons -those are awesome. Enjoy!

View attachment 9046408
Beautiful sticks, man!!! Will be fun to see if you change balls depending on how the spin characteristics are of the HMs!

Beautiful sticks, man!!! Will be fun to see if you change balls depending on how the spin characteristics are of the HMs!

Thanks! I’m looking forward to testing a few different higher spin balls versus what I normally play. Gonna be a good time!

I would also love to do that experiment if I can get my hands on a reliable simulator. I went with mine as a result of increased spin numbers vs. the i210 and the ZX5 so it would be interesting how high they are (they didn't show me) and what a change in balls accomplishes.

Which iron is more demanding, The Chosen One or Forged?

Tour are more demanding. Forged have more of the chromoly

So let's say that I love these irons, but I want to switch from the forged to the HMPs for a bit more forgiveness. Can I get my club maker to just order the heads and have them put in the shafts I currently have? I'm kicking myself for not trying them out more

So it is back to Mizuno for me, did a fitting today and was looking for some more forgiveness and mainly to pick up some lost distance.
Mizuno Hot Metal Pro, 5-PW, Recoil 95 F4, 2 flat MCC+4 grips.
I know these irons are to be replaced and am sure the new line will be awesome but having seen them it was nothing that jumped out at me and the HMP is great iron.
I definitely picked up distance over my Srixon ZX7's so that is a plus for me.
Spin wise is was hitting 5100 with a 41° decent angle so more than enough to hold a green using a Chrome Soft ball.. I also hit some shots with a Srixon Soft feel and lost some spin down to about 4500 but was a bit longer so I will have some options to mess around with once it warms up.

Really looking forward to being back in the Mizuno line of irons and should have them by Christmas.

So it is back to Mizuno for me, did a fitting today and was looking for some more forgiveness and mainly to pick up some lost distance.
I know these irons are to be replaced and am sure the new line will be awesome but having seen them it was nothing that jumped out at me and the HMP is great iron.
Spin wise is was hitting 5100 with a 41° decent angle so more than enough to hold a green using a Chrome Soft ball.. I also hit some shots with a Srixon Soft feel and lost some spin down to about 4500 but was a bit longer so I will have some options to mess around with once it warms up.

Really looking forward to being back in the Mizuno line of irons and should have them by Christmas.
Congrats on the sticks! Of the current lineup I would go HMP as well. I just hit one at DSG that was a bit flimsy to me but I enjoyed the feel.

Congrats on the sticks! Of the current lineup I would go HMP as well. I just hit one at DSG that was a bit flimsy to me but I enjoyed the feel.
Tried a couple different shafts, but wanting to go back to Recoils to avoid some elbow issues I have been having the F4 was a good choice. We did try the f3 but the dispersion was a bit looser.

Awesome choice! You will rock and roll with those!

Tried a couple different shafts, but wanting to go back to Recoils to avoid some elbow issues I have been having the F4 was a good choice. We did try the f3 but the dispersion was a bit looser.
I’m still loving the Modus 120s. I image these things would be rockets.

Back