Hit Mizuno for the first time ever this morning in a fitting and it was a good first impression. The JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro's beat out five other sets, and it was only even close to one other. They felt so good on good contact, and gave enough feedback on mishits to know where I missed but my distance and accuracy didn't suffer that bad. Over my current gamers I gained almost 10 yards, moved from about 10-15 yards offline avg to right about online, and kept the dispersion much much tighter. That was all the same for the new irons I hit as well, not just my gamers (aside from one other that was the same distance but worse dispersion). Best performing shaft was the Project X IO.

Unfortunately he only had a 5.5 shaft and no 6.0. My launch and spin were both a tad low, and his thought was that the club head was lagging behind slightly due to my swing speed (85 mph with 6i) and that the 6.0 would actually slightly increase my launch and spin. Seemed a little counterintuitive to me but I'm quite uneducated with shafts. Does that make sense?

It’s a amazing what happens with club when you hit at or near center more often. A few bad steep shots that were all me, but yesterday I hit some great irons shots with a ball flight I’ve not seen in a while. Most importantly the long irons, 5-7, are turning into clubs I trust and that is something I’ve not done in a while.
The surprising thing is I’m about a club longer through my bag with the 921 Forged. As someone who isn’t a long hitter, that is really impressive.

I have always wanted Mizuno irons. I am seriously thinking about pulling the trigger. I am a 10 handicap and I think the JPX921 would best suit my game. I am currently gaming a set of Callaway Steelhead XR irons with graphite shafts. Good clubs but as I said, I have always wanted Mizunos. Is anyone playing the Recoil 95 graphite shafts in their JPX921? How do you like them? In all likelihood I would wait until the end of the season to order these because it looks like Mizuno is backed up as much as 8-12 weeks with orders.

I have always wanted Mizuno irons. I am seriously thinking about pulling the trigger. I am a 10 handicap and I think the JPX921 would best suit my game. I am currently gaming a set of Callaway Steelhead XR irons with graphite shafts. Good clubs but as I said, I have always wanted Mizunos. Is anyone playing the Recoil 95 graphite shafts in their JPX921? How do you like them? In all likelihood I would wait until the end of the season to order these because it looks like Mizuno is backed up as much as 8-12 weeks with orders.
Buy them. I just finished playing 4 rounds in 5 days with my Mizuno's. They are by far the best irons I've played or tried. I have the 921F's my golf buddies have almost every brand on the market, well at least the top brands. From TaylorMade, Titleist, Callaway, Ping etc. I've hit all their irons multiple times and none of them feel anywhere as nice as the Mizuno's. But all companies make great irons now, the Mizuno's are the best though.

I play at 11 and I have the 921 Forged and with Recoil 95 F4’s.
I was a little worried they would be “too much” club for me, but after playing them they are perfect. Plenty of forgiveness but more importantly they have a nice look at address. Distances are there and imo the feel is better than anything out there

I play at 11 and I have the 921 Forged and with Recoil 95 F4’s.
I was a little worried they would be “too much” club for me, but after playing them they are perfect. Plenty of forgiveness but more importantly they have a nice look at address. Distances are there and imo the feel is better than anything out there
What made you choose the F4's over the F3's?

What made you choose the F4's over the F3's?
ust maymima's website talks about their recommended flex by swing speed if you are unable to swing them anywhere

ust maymima's website talks about their recommended flex by swing speed if you are unable to swing them anywhere
Dumb question. Is there going to be a difference in swing speed between a driver and an iron? If I have a 95 swing speed with my driver will I also have a 95 with my 7 iron?

Dumb question. Is there going to be a difference in swing speed between a driver and an iron? If I have a 95 swing speed with my driver will I also have a 95 with my 7 iron?
No sir and there are no dumb questions.
Because of the length of the driver, along with other factors such as weight, the driver swing speed will be faster than that of your 7 iron.

No dumb questions here.

If you’re at 95 with the driver then 7i would be in the 70mph range

Tour average is around 90mph with a 7i iirc.

Bringing back up an old thread. My golf season is nearly over. I played nearly the entire season with a set of hot metal pros. I actually only played them six to gap wedge because I found the lofts were too low in the four and five which led me to have two lower trajectory with them.

I did get down to equal my lowest career handicap with them and they were quite forgiving and certainly quite long. If I had any criticism it was that out of the rough and when the greens tended to be fast I didn't have as much height and spin into the greens as I would have liked.

I am currently a 5.2 index.

Since I wasn't playing my ZX7 since I found them too short and not as forgiving, I decided to trade them in and trade them for the 921 forged since I love the shape and profile of the 921 irons. I got a good deal on both the trade in and a sale price.

I feel I'm a good enough ball striker that I won't miss the added forgiveness of the hot metal pro but having a little bit more loft and spin might help with the stopping power I feel I'm lacking at times with the hot metal pro irons. Additionally I seem to be able to hit the five iron better because of the added loft. And thus it is in the bag. I also absolutely love the forged gap wedge much better than the set gap wedge that came with the 921 hot metals.

Another difference and reason for the change is I just turned 54 recently so this was partly a birthday present. But more importantly I decided I wanted also to go to a lighter shaft. The forged model that were on sale happened to have the project x i o shaft rather than the LZ model. They are approximately 10 G lighter but still feel quite stable..
I figured that might help increase my club head speed a little bit which would help to offset the difference in loft between the two models.

So far so good I have only gotten 12 holes in due to some work-related issues. But I was too over par on those 12 holes and hit 9 of 12 Greens in regulation with several close shots leaving me birdie puts within 15 ft. Unfortunately I didn't think any LOL.

I know there will be a new model coming out in January but given the price I was able to get these for they were about four or $500 Canadian cheaper than they were at the beginning of the summer. And given how much I love the look and feel of them I don't really see any reason to go after the newer model at the higher price point. Especially after seeing pictures and seeing that perhaps they might be slightly hotter but I could see them also being lower spin which is not what I am looking for.

Bringing back up an old thread. My golf season is nearly over. I played nearly the entire season with a set of hot metal pros. I actually only played them six to gap wedge because I found the lofts were too low in the four and five which led me to have two lower trajectory with them.

I did get down to equal my lowest career handicap with them and they were quite forgiving and certainly quite long. If I had any criticism it was that out of the rough and when the greens tended to be fast I didn't have as much height and spin into the greens as I would have liked.

I am currently a 5.2 index.

Since I wasn't playing my ZX7 since I found them too short and not as forgiving, I decided to trade them in and trade them for the 921 forged since I love the shape and profile of the 921 irons. I got a good deal on both the trade in and a sale price.

I feel I'm a good enough ball striker that I won't miss the added forgiveness of the hot metal pro but having a little bit more loft and spin might help with the stopping power I feel I'm lacking at times with the hot metal pro irons. Additionally I seem to be able to hit the five iron better because of the added loft. And thus it is in the bag. I also absolutely love the forged gap wedge much better than the set gap wedge that came with the 921 hot metals.

Another difference and reason for the change is I just turned 54 recently so this was partly a birthday present. But more importantly I decided I wanted also to go to a lighter shaft. The forged model that were on sale happened to have the project x i o shaft rather than the LZ model. They are approximately 10 G lighter but still feel quite stable..
I figured that might help increase my club head speed a little bit which would help to offset the difference in loft between the two models.

So far so good I have only gotten 12 holes in due to some work-related issues. But I was too over par on those 12 holes and hit 9 of 12 Greens in regulation with several close shots leaving me birdie puts within 15 ft. Unfortunately I didn't think any LOL.

I know there will be a new model coming out in January but given the price I was able to get these for they were about four or $500 Canadian cheaper than they were at the beginning of the summer. And given how much I love the look and feel of them I don't really see any reason to go after the newer model at the higher price point. Especially after seeing pictures and seeing that perhaps they might be slightly hotter but I could see them also being lower spin which is not what I am looking for.
Glad they are working out so far, and they sure are pretty!

Another follow up review on these irons. It's also close to the end of my season. I've played all year with the 921 forged and 921 HMP's. Both sets of clubs have Recoil F4 shafts in them. I really like both sets of clubs, but have found some interesting things this fall.

First I like the look of both sets of clubs, but the Forged are better looking to my eye. They are also better feeling. That's not to say that the HMP's feel bad, exactly the opposite, the HMP's feel quite good, the Forged just feel a little bit better.

The forgiveness edge goes to the HMP's (I know, shocker there). Also, my HMP's are bent 2 degrees weak so the lofts are equal to or even slightly weaker than the Forged irons I have. Even given that, I am a full club longer with the HMP's and a bit more consistent ball striking wise. I can really nuke the HMP's when I want to. I can also hit them a mile high when I need to (7iron speed in the 86-88 range). As a result, the HMP's won the spot in my bag over the Forged until recently.

Late this summer/early fall has seen drought conditions in my area. As a result my course, and particularly the greens (which always play firm since it's a PGA Tour stop) have gotten really firm. I've having trouble holding green's with the HMP's. Even though I can hit them really high, they are down on spin just enough from the Forged that it makes a difference. 2 weeks ago I "landed on" 14 greens in regulation, but only stayed on 4 (i.e. only 4 GIR's). I ended up going back to the Forged as a result. I think this last 45 days has been unusually firm and most of the time the HMP's work fine for me, but I do think I will hold onto the Forged clubs too.

I have a pair of Hot Metals in the 5 and 6 and on course seem to launch them lower than the forged. Anyone have thoughts to why? I would have thought with the lower CG from the big sole it wouldn't be much of a problem. They are lofted a bit weaker as well to try to blend with the Forged.

I have a pair of Hot Metals in the 5 and 6 and on course seem to launch them lower than the forged. Anyone have thoughts to why? I would have thought with the lower CG from the big sole it wouldn't be much of a problem. They are lofted a bit weaker as well to try to blend with the Forged.

I have the 921HMP and 921 Forged. I find the Forged to launch higher but with less distance with the same shafts. Recoil 95 F3.

The Forged are 2* weaker than the HMP. 27* vs 25* for the 6 iron, so I would expect a little higher launch.

Lower spin?
Swing speed?

I have the 921HMP and 921 Forged. I find the Forged to launch higher but with less distance with the same shafts. Recoil 95 F3.

The Forged are 2* weaker than the HMP. 27* vs 25* for the 6 iron, so I would expect a little higher launch.

Lower spin?
Swing speed?
Same shafts for me. It might be lower spin. Maybe I'll hop on a sim to check.

Or I could just be a headcase with the wider sole and subconsciously change my delivery

Same shafts for me. It might be lower spin. Maybe I'll hop on a sim to check.

Or I could just be a headcase with the wider sole and subconsciously change my delivery

I hear you. I could see turf interaction/club head delivery being a contributing factor.

Played another round with my new Mizuno 921 forged irons today and tied my season low despite playing in cold October temperatures here in Montreal Canada.

Overall the irons performed quite well. The distances were not any shorter of significance compared to my hot metal pros except for the possible effect of the temperature.

I also noticed that I was getting the height and spin improvements I was looking for.

The shafts I have in them are the project I owe 5.5 which I like because it is between a stiff and regular and I was using the project xlz before and these are a little bit lighter.

My only concern is that I seem to have pulled a few shots more than normal to the left. I am thinking this might just be either me swing a little harder because of the cold or perhaps because of the lighter weight shaft my timing was a little off.

I don't think it is a liangle issue as these have the same lie angle as the hot metal pros.

Anybody have experience with the project xio shaft?

Sent from my SM-S908W using Tapatalk

Hit a nice high draw with my 921 F 8 iron. Nice 8-10 ft draw hit green and rolled to 8 feet. Total distance 152 yards.

Still getting used to the forged. Overall feel is great. Distance seems about 5 yards shorter than HMP in longer clubs but almost same 9 through Gap.
Gap wedge is becoming my favorite club.
Money long and short.

Sent from my SM-S908W using Tapatalk

There are a lot of irons out there that have me pondering shiny and new, but these just flat out perform for me. Yesterday was the 5i which did some serious work in windy conditions for me. Today the 8-GW were really good and hitting distances I needed. I’m looking around, but it’s going to take something pretty special to make me move off these.

I think I would like mine more if I had them re-shafted.

Back