After reading comments about how the Tours are tough to play I've really been looking at the forged but I think the lofts are putting them completely out for me.
Even if I go to the Tour then that's a 2° loft increase per iron from my Titleist 690MB! That's not so bad as I can adjust my wedges to fix the lower gaps.
But going to the forged it's going to be a 3° increase for the PW, 4° increase for the 9, 5° increase for the 8 and then 5° for the rest of the irons. How are the lower handicappers considering these managing with the loft gaps? These will create huge gaps in my range.
Even the MP20 MMC has a similar loft gap with 5° gaps from PW to 8 again creating increasing loft gaps from my current irons.
Unfortunately I think if I don't get on with the Tours then I may have to look elsewhere as I'm not really too keen on having my new 8 iron a degree stronger than my current 7 iron.
Just got to see if the 921 Tours are as easy to control as the 919 was.
Otherwise I may end up looking at the Titleist T100's just based on loft gaps which is a shame.
a5e6ce655d71d65339007b2a5a3c2181.jpg
5d735c79e570c3d1a77eec5a35a4dc95.jpg
bdc5c94b3a5c6edd79dfa289f3bc1136.jpg

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

After reading comments about how the Tours are tough to play I've really been looking at the forged but I think the lofts are putting them completely out for me.
Even if I go to the Tour then that's a 2° loft increase per iron from my Titleist 690MB! That's not so bad as I can adjust my wedges to fix the lower gaps.
But going to the forged it's going to be a 3° increase for the PW, 4° increase for the 9, 5° increase for the 8 and then 5° for the rest of the irons. How are the lower handicappers considering these managing with the loft gaps? These will create huge gaps in my range.
Even the MP20 MMC has a similar loft gap with 5° gaps from PW to 8 again creating increasing loft gaps from my current irons.
Unfortunately I think if I don't get on with the Tours then I may have to look elsewhere as I'm not really too keen on having my new 8 iron a degree stronger than my current 7 iron.
Otherwise I may end up looking at the Titleist T100's just based on loft gaps which is a shame.

I love everything about this line of Mizuno irons except what you are discussing. There was always a gap when I got closer to the hole and I am not a low handicap. The 9 iron went 20 yards further than the PW in both sets of Hot Metals I had. It wasn't a huge deal, but I ended up in gaps close to the hole. The gap from club to club seemed larger than 10 yards too which is hard for me to calculate. Titleist lofts just adds another club in the scoring range and keeps everything on tighter gapping. I have come to appreciate that more than the added distance from these newer loft setups on other brands.

I've only ever played GI irons to this point so it's been eye-opening reading about the loft gap issues. I've had a massive gap in my bag for years playing Burner 2.0s (PW - 45*, next club is 54* wedge for me). Am definitely going to address this in my next set. Is it a function of trying to get more distance in GI irons versus better irons to have the larger gaps?

I've only ever played GI irons to this point so it's been eye-opening reading about the loft gap issues. I've had a massive gap in my bag for years playing Burner 2.0s (PW - 45*, next club is 54* wedge for me). Am definitely going to address this in my next set. Is it a function of trying to get more distance in GI irons versus better irons to have the larger gaps?
Yes I'd imagine this is done for distance.
If I do go with these then perhaps I can combo by having 7-PW tour, bend a 7 Forged one degree stronger to be the 6 iron and carry the 6 Forged as the 5 iron. That way all the lofts would be correct.
I'd throw in a HMP 4 iron as a driving iron.
Hopefully this is possible with no extra cost

I love everything about this line of Mizuno irons except what you are discussing. There was always a gap when I got closer to the hole and I am not a low handicap. The 9 iron went 20 yards further than the PW in both sets of Hot Metals I had. It wasn't a huge deal, but I ended up in gaps close to the hole. The gap from club to club seemed larger than 10 yards too which is hard for me to calculate. Titleist lofts just adds another club in the scoring range and keeps everything on tighter gapping. I have come to appreciate that more than the added distance from these newer loft setups on other brands.

Whoa, really? And contact was good and similar on both? I have played both hot metals a lot here and have not seen any sort of huge gaps in the scoring clubs.

That was similar to my reaction. They're a little stronger than I assumed based on who the reviews implied they're for, with larger scoring club loft gaps. Makes for a tougher combo, too. Not that it can't work, but it's likely a lot more challenging than I had planned. Have to see how they fly and figure it out from there.

I’ve been tracking my time with the JPX921F with Arccos and over the last month or so the gapping has not been an issue. 11 yards (plus or minus 1 yard for certain clubs). You may certainly have some issues along the way When you hit them but I wouldn’t Elevate form over substance based purely on the lofts on paper. I’ve got 5-G in the bag and if someone wants to re-label them 4-P, the results are still the results.

Whoa, really? And contact was good and similar on both? I have played both hot metals a lot here and have not seen any sort of huge gaps in the scoring clubs.
Yeah, I hit the 9 120-125 in the 900's and the 919. I hit the PW 105. I hated being 110-115. Came up short some and blasted some over. With current clubs I have a 47*, 43*, 39*, and 35*. With the Hot Metals that same gap was covered by 45*, 40*, and 35*. The spacing is much better with my current lofts.

I can't comment on the 900s, as I didnt spend a lot of time with them, but never saw that out of the 919 and definitely not seeing it in 921.
Could very well be a fit thing causing some missed contact. Loft is only one piece of the distance puzzle and in many ways, a small piece.

I did not find the 921 Tour tough to play. Based on the 7i, they are approx. as forgiving as the MMC. Mishits lose something, but they should. I hit the Tour back to back with my 18 MMC and the 20 MMC. The main thing I noticed is that the Tour had a higher flight and more spin than the forged. A bit higher than the MMC. I had more left-right control with them over the forged which wanted to go left over and over for me (lighter recoil 95 may be the culprit). I don't know how far I would play the Tour into a set (for sure 7i, maybe 6i), but the 4* gaps would be nice. I notice the slightly larger distance gaps from the 5* loft gaps from PW to 9 and 9 to 8 in my MMC set.

Played a sim round with the Hot Metal Pro today and once again came away super impressed.

So will full sets be in the stores tomorrow for fondling? How does this work, do they have them now and put them on display tomorrow?

#hornyforclubs

Saw a full set of the forged in person today. Man do they look great. Really nice mix of great shelf appeal but not intimidating. I can’t wait to demo them soon.

Has anyone here seen the "S" and L" wedge designed for the HM set? Wondering how it fits against the CBX2

Messed around a little bit with the JPX 921 Forged and the Tour today.
These irons feel very very good. The shape and look of the Tour is excellent. The Forged impressed as well, but IMO the 9i, PW, GW are a little too bulbous and big.

I watched another review from the youtuber who is most similar to me today, and the ball speed with the Forged continues to leave me impressed. Need to get them in hand in Monday to make sure I like the look enough, and then I think it just needs to happen. Plus, I've never owned a set of Mizunos and that has to change.
I hit the 7 iron tonight on a launch monitor at my local PGA Superstore. It was just a stock Modus 120 stiff shaft. I was beyond impressed with the ball speed. It is definitely right there with any of the hollow body offerings out there. I was not expecting that, to be honest.

I hit the 7 iron tonight on a launch monitor at my local PGA Superstore. It was just a stock Modus 120 stiff shaft. I was beyond impressed with the ball speed. It is definitely right there with any of the hollow body offerings out there. I was not expecting that, to be honest.
Yeah. I ran through a set a couple days ago. I was expecting it, and it was still impressive. Didn't love the look though. Put that in a more compact head, and I'd be all over it. Still might go for a set, but they're not the shape I prefer.

Yeah. I ran through a set a couple days ago. I was expecting it, and it was still impressive. Didn't love the look though. Put that in a more compact head, and I'd be all over it. Still might go for a set, but they're not the shape I prefer.
I’d like to see them next to my MMCs. They certainly are going to look bulkier than the T100S. Those heads are quite compact.

I’d like to see them next to my MMCs. They certainly are going to look bulkier than the T100S. Those heads are quite compact.
Everyone keeps saying that. I don't see it. My Honma CB's are smaller when you look down on them than the T100S. I should post some pictures in that thread.

I didn't expect the Forged to be small or anything. The word from many was 'more compact' than previous version, so I was just hopeful, and felt like it was minimal. Just a personal thing. Doesn't change the fact that they felt good and were fast. They look a ton better from the back or in-the-bag, too.

Was able to see the 921 forged and tour full sets today. Not a huge fan of the blade size head shaping on the forged. The tour sets up very nicely. I’m fairly happy with my T100S irons atm and would want to see what Callaway has up their sleeve for the Apex refresh.

Was able to see the 921 forged and tour full sets today. Not a huge fan of the blade size head shaping on the forged.

want to see what Callaway has up their sleeve for the Apex refresh.

A-MEN. The conversation I had yesterday with a distributor about getting some new Apex pro heads completely messed me up. He basically refused, based on what's coming, and refused to give me any details on anything. We need some leaks, asap.

Would you agree with the following: 919F is the the same in forgiveness(but better in the toe) as the 921F, although the 921F does it in a smaller sleeker package with a little more distance due to stronger lofts?

Local shop has 919F 4-GW(new) for $999....serious pondering happening.

Would you agree with the following: 919F is the the same in forgiveness(but better in the toe) as the 921F, although the 921F does it in a smaller sleeker package with a little more distance due to stronger lofts?

The 921 is chromoly forged up to the 7i - you will get more distance in those irons with the faster ball speed and slightly lower lofts. The 8-GW are 1025E and no boron so they will be soft and this year, they are smaller/more attractive. Mizuno says you will get more consistent ball speed from the 921.

But the 921 look great.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that statement but the difference between the two isn't going to be incredibly dramatic. You may be able to hit both in the local shop.

Back